Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi Dave,

Yes that is odd - did you get to the bottom of what was causing the sound change? It is just the sound being bounced back, or it something electronic??

Love the various 47 shots too.

Rich

It's the voids under the baseboard where the old Peco points used to be, Rich (now replaced by Cobolt motors). They need filling in somehow, but I've yet to really investigate how best to do it. Not a job I'm relishing, so it keeps getting put off.

Edited by Waverley West

Hi  Dave

Do you have a contact number for your therapist as one seems  to have appeared on Peak Dale Wood as well. :O 

Resistance was futile.  :laugh:

Cheers

Marcus

Dave and Marcus, stay strong.

Happy to provide therapy if required. Phase 1 includes watching hours of Trever Ledgeway's 1980s videos. I have 101 listed on one of the PerthMRC YouTube tube playlists.

For starters if you feel the urge to run Sprinters, 170s or Class 68s I suggest you open the below link immediately, available 24 hours a day if you need it.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?list=PLtc7rQQGN-AzAzySf1cxvQsyApr5Rt0rD&v=JZhl6nHwEvU

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

THese pics are just great Dave.  I can just hear the loco growing, and the track noises.  But you've missed the purple clad lady with the big xxxxxx well you know!!!

• RMweb Premium

Hi again folks,

With the sun shining, I thought it was time for a quick photo plank session again.

Here is 27034 with an inspection saloon out on a jolly inspecting the condition of the track. This loco has just had a new sound chip and fuel tank speaker fitted. I've also finally managed to get hold of another good condition TOPS-numbered 27 (also currently numbered 27034). They're as rare as hen's teeth and I've been looking for one for ages. Two just isn't enough you see. They're a bit of a favourite on WW.

I quite fancy replicating a '70s push-pull set with a couple of 27s, although it won't be strictly accurate because most of my Mk 2s are now ScotRail-branded and I don't even have a 27/1 and 27/2 combination. It'll be close enough for a bit of fun though, as it's a little outside WW's main period.

attachicon.gif27034 7.jpg

attachicon.gif27034 6.jpg

attachicon.gif27034 2a.jpg

attachicon.gif27034 3.jpg

attachicon.gif27034 4.jpg

attachicon.gif27034 4b.jpg

attachicon.gif27034 5.jpg

attachicon.gif27034 1.jpg

attachicon.gifInspection saloon 3.jpg

attachicon.gifInspection saloon 4.jpg

attachicon.gifInspection saloon 2.jpg

In other news, 08421 has been returned from Lee (blueeighties) after fitting of lights and a new sound chip with stayalive. More on that later.

Current projects include refreshing a Bachmann Mk 2a in ScotRail colours and Heljan ScotRail 47707. I'm about to fit a new fuel tank speaker and chip to one of my 26s too. Selling the old chip makes the cost a little more palatable. I really must get round to doing those offices for the single road shed though.

Cheers for now,

Dave

You could get away with two 27/1s at a pinch, as the Deutz-Houchin motor alternators weren't the most reliable devices known to man. Can't help regarding the coaches though.

You could get away with two 27/1s at a pinch, as the Deutz-Houchin motor alternators weren't the most reliable devices known to man. Can't help regarding the coaches though.

What were the coaches branded with at the time? was it 'Inter-City'?

I gather Class 25s or 37s were common substitutes on those push-pull workings, maybe you could hang one of them on the back instead of another 27!

What were the coaches branded with at the time? was it 'Inter-City'?

I gather Class 25s or 37s were common substitutes on those push-pull workings, maybe you could hang one of them on the back instead of another 27!

I'm pretty sure it was mainly Inter-City, although some may have been unbranded I guess.

• RMweb Premium

You forgot to paint the handbrake wheel in the cab! Only joking, stunning models and photos as always.

I'm also planning a class 27 push pull set, but we need someone to make the extra grilles.

• Like 2

Somewhere I may have a B&W detail photo I took of the stock in the very early days of the Class 27 P&P sets in May 1971, but it may take me a while to locate it !

Alasdair

• RMweb Premium

NIce stuff Dave.

Now about that push-pull set.  I travelled on them a number of times, and from memory (which might be dimmed by the years) the coaches were branded as Inter City.  Also, I did see the occasional 37 on one end covering failures - don't recall a 25 or 26.  However, there was an occasion when the Cliffe - Uddingston arrived in Scotland with the 33s still powering it, due to a failure at York, and the staff at the TMD were casting an envious eye on them.  Well, the DID liik like 27s.  Might have been interesting had it happened with the extra horsepower at both ends.  In interesting "might have been" for WW?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think a Class 26 would have been an unlikely choice as the maximum speed was 80mph as opposed to the 90mph of the Class 27 and there is simply no way they could keep time on this service.  The Class 27s were regularly timed at 100mph passing Saughton Junction though it has been suggested that inaccurate siting of the mileposts may have contributed to that. 

It is perhaps worth pointing out that the 27 era laid claim to the fastest ever timing between the two cities, 43 minutes from Waverley, 39 minutes from Haymarket to Queen Street for a "non-stop" service and 47 minutes from Waverley, 43 from Haymarket for a service calling at Falkirk High.  When the 27s were replaced by 47/7s the journey times were slightly extended.  The imminent introduction of electric trains will doubtless bring an end the 27s' claim to the Blue Ribbon!   

The non-stops finished not long after BR spent a fortune increasing the speed limit through Falkirk Tunnel from 60 to 90 mph.

• RMweb Premium

I think a Class 26 would have been an unlikely choice as the maximum speed was 80mph as opposed to the 90mph of the Class 27 and there is simply no way they could keep time on this service.  The Class 27s were regularly timed at 100mph passing Saughton Junction though it has been suggested that inaccurate siting of the mileposts may have contributed to that. 

It is perhaps worth pointing out that the 27 era laid claim to the fastest ever timing between the two cities, 43 minutes from Waverley, 39 minutes from Haymarket to Queen Street for a "non-stop" service and 47 minutes from Waverley, 43 from Haymarket for a service calling at Falkirk High.  When the 27s were replaced by 47/7s the journey times were slightly extended.  The imminent introduction of electric trains will doubtless bring an end the 27s' claim to the Blue Ribbon!   

I think that the drivers used to do their best with the equipment - I only ever managed one cab trip on this - and that from Queen St to Haymarket, so I wasn't seen getting off "up front" at Waverley.  Well it mattered not, as I was going to Corstorphine anyway.  Driver that day was a friend of a relative who was in a high position on ScR, and he said that the locos were very hit and miss, but when pushed could really shift, as evidenced by the recorded speeds.  On my trip, the driver stuck religiously to the line and loco speeds at all times and barely kept time.

I'm also planning a class 27 push pull set, but we need someone to make the extra grilles.

I talked to Brian/Shawplan at Glas Model Rail about the 27/2 conversion kit, he mentioned the possibility of perhaps 3D printing some parts, but it's on his to-do list............................