Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Now that you mention it, Stewart, she is, isn't she?

I can introduce you to her if you like. She doesn't talk much, but maybe that would be an advantage.

... it just means not getting told off for talking to her cleavage!!

I will probably be drilling more holes for the sound to escape, but I wanted to experiment with a baffle over the top of the speaker to see if it would reduce the change in sound that happens when my fuel tank speaker-fitted 27 passes over points.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Hi Dave

Some wonderful photos - always hard to believe it's really a model.........................

Regarding your change in sound issue over points - are you using Peco etc motors attached directly to the points ? with large-ish holes in the baseboard surface, if so, the baseboard resonance may well change as a speaker passes over these holes. Having the motors mounted under the baseboard with only a small slot cut for the operating pin would probably not alter the resonance/speaker sound as much, if at all. With a speaker downward firing in a tank mounting, the sound waves get reflected back from the track area/surface, this may well account for the change in sound at points IF there's large holes cut in the baseboard.

Also of interest you preferring Howe's 47 over SWD's latest ? I assume by that you mean their U Drive+ version ? which I think is a BIG improvement to their earlier versions, although I've not heard the current Howe's version....

Regards

Ken

Hi Dave

Some wonderful photos - always hard to believe it's really a model.........................

Regarding your change in sound issue over points - are you using Peco etc motors attached directly to the points ? with large-ish holes in the baseboard surface, if so, the baseboard resonance may well change as a speaker passes over these holes. Having the motors mounted under the baseboard with only a small slot cut for the operating pin would probably not alter the resonance/speaker sound as much, if at all. With a speaker downward firing in a tank mounting, the sound waves get reflected back from the track area/surface, this may well account for the change in sound at points IF there's large holes cut in the baseboard.

Also of interest you preferring Howe's 47 over SWD's latest ? I assume by that you mean their U Drive+ version ? which I think is a BIG improvement to their earlier versions, although I've not heard the current Howe's version....

Regards

Ken

Thanks Ken. 

I have used Peco point motors in the past and so have some fairly large holes under the points. The Peco motors have now been replaced by Cobolt ones but the holes remain at the moment at least. I think filling them in would probably make a big difference, but it would probably be a big/awkward job.

Re. 47 sound chips, I must admit I haven't heard the latest SWD U Drive one, although I have one ready to install so it will be interesting to hear what that sounds like if you say it's a big improvement.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

I'm gonna be a real swine to you now Dave.

Bachmann have put the wrong battery box moulding on 47001. You've got a twin tank moulding instead of the original full water tanks version.

Always loving your photos Dave. You always keep the bar high so Kirkhill has to reach up to meet it.

I'm gonna be a real swine to you now Dave.

Bachmann have put the wrong battery box moulding on 47001. You've got a twin tank moulding instead of the original full water tanks version.

Always loving your photos Dave. You always keep the bar high so Kirkhill has to reach up to meet it.

Thanks flood. I wasn't sure about that. I read somewhere, probably on here, that Bachmann had got it wrong on the first release but then corrected it on subsequent releases. Is that right? 

Possibly. I know the first one had a Class 57 moulding for the battery boxes and tanks.

We're still using Heljan 47s, like the majority of yours are. I bought our 27th one over Christmas and Glenn bought another a month before at Warley but we haven't decided which one to make that yet. I nearly got another last month to make 47004 but I then decided that we probably have just about enough for the moment.

• Like 1

Possibly. I know the first one had a Class 57 moulding for the battery boxes and tanks.

We're still using Heljan 47s, like the majority of yours are. I bought our 27th one over Christmas and Glenn bought another a month before at Warley but we haven't decided which one to make that yet. I nearly got another last month to make 47004 but I then decided that we probably have just about enough for the moment.

Do you happen to know of a Haymarket-based (or Scottish for that matter) alternative 47/0 that would have the right tank/headcode combination for the Bachmann model? No worries if not, I just wondered if you knew which ones, if any, it matched..

Edited by Waverley West

Do you happen to know of a Haymarket-based (or Scottish for that matter) alternative 47/0 that would have the right tank/headcode combination for the Bachmann model? No worries if not, I just wondered if you knew which ones, if any, it matched..

Just been through the whole 1986 Scottish 47/0 allocation for you.

47001, 47003, 47012, 47017, 47109 and 47118 (HA) and 47004, 47006, 47108, 47117 and 47206 (ED) kept full water tanks until the end.

47018 (HA) went to battery boxes only when repainted Railfreight grey in Nov 1986

47053 (HA) was reallocated to CD in Oct 1987 and had the twin tank style fitted when repainted Railfreight triple grey in 1992

47152 (ED) was reallocated to TI in Oct 1987, repainted Railfreight triple grey in 1989 and had the twin tank style fitted in 1993

47209 (ED) was reallocated to TI in Oct 1987, repainted Railfreight triple grey in 1990 and had the twin tank style fitted in 1993

47210 (HA) was repainted Railfreight triple grey in 1989 and had the twin tank style fitted in 1993

So basically none of them.

Edited by Flood

Just been through the whole 1986 Scottish 47/0 allocation for you.

47001, 47003, 47012, 47017, 47109 and 47118 (HA) and 47004, 47006, 47108, 47117 and 47206 (ED) kept full water tanks until the end.

47018 (HA) went to battery boxes only when repainted Railfreight grey in Nov 1986

47053 (HA) was reallocated to CD in Oct 1987 and had the twin tank style fitted when repainted Railfreight triple grey in 1992

47152 (ED) was reallocated to TI in Oct 1987, repainted Railfreight triple grey in 1989 and had the twin tank style fitted in 1993

47209 (ED) was reallocated to TI in Oct 1987, repainted Railfreight triple grey in 1990 and had the twin tank style fitted in 1993

47210 (HA) was repainted Railfreight triple grey in 1989 and had the twin tank style fitted in 1993

So basically none of them.

Flood, you're a star, Thank you so much, even if it wasn't the answer I was looking for. At least I know now, I might peruse my books and photos to see if I can come up with a frequenter of Waverley which fits the bill. Otherwise, I might just live with 47001 as it is.

Thanks again. That was most definitely above and beyond the call of duty.

• Like 1

Just looking at photos of the other Bachmann 47s they all seem to have the correct style for each loco modelled (green, 47035 in blue, large logo, NSE, ScotRail, original InterCity, Swallow, RES). Only Bachmann could manage to get all but one correct. :banghead:

Edited by Flood

• RMweb Gold

How about putting up a "swap" thread in the modifying and detailing RTR section. There may be someone out there who could benefit from a swap or might have one in their spares box?

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 1

Hi Dave,

47001 does look very nice. Re the tank issue it might be possible to improve what you have but adding some plasticard fillers to get it to look more like the full water tanked version. A nice Haymarket Castle sticker on the side would look nice too. :biggrin_mini2:

Cheers Peter.

Hi again folks, 

Well, here as promised are a few piccies of yet another blue 47 to roll off the WW production line - 47555 this time. The difference with this one is that I've attempted to portray her in pretty smart ex works condition (not that unusual for 47555 judging from the photos I've seen). Those following this thread will know that I like my locos to be fairly workstained (but not excessively dirty), as that is how I remember them generally and how most of them appear in photos.

I leave you to judge whether you think I've achieved that ex works look, rather than a "plastic model fresh out of the box" look. After renumbering, the body was sprayed with Humbrol Satin enamel from an aerosol (highly recommended by the way). The body has also had a very thin dirty wash down the sides and on the roof (old habits die hard), some light exhaust staining around the exhaust port and the grilles have been blackened with a weathered black wash. The underframe was also painted Railmatch weathered black before the pipework and so on were painted.

Anyway, without further ado, here is 47555, which seemed to follow me wherever I went in the country...

post-7247-0-31307500-1490098210_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-05491200-1490098225_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-14272400-1490098242_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-53730200-1490098283_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-21580600-1490098497_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-68303900-1490098912_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 14

Thanks flood. I wasn't sure about that. I read somewhere, probably on here, that Bachmann had got it wrong on the first release but then corrected it on subsequent releases. Is that right? 

The tank moulding on Bachmann's 47 is a clip fit similar to Heljan's, (at least on 47 710 it is) why not source a Heljan batt/water tanks moulding and swap it with the incorrect tanks on 47 001.With a little work it should be possible.

The tank moulding on Bachmann's 47 is a clip fit similar to Heljan's, (at least on 47 710 it is) why not source a Heljan batt/water tanks moulding and swap it with the incorrect tanks on 47 001.With a little work it should be possible.

It's certainly worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion. There's a switch inside Bachmann's tanks of course, so I'm not sure how much extra work would be created by that, but I'm sure it can't be that hard.

• Like 1

It's certainly worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion. There's a switch inside Bachmann's tanks of course, so I'm not sure how much extra work would be created by that, but I'm sure it can't be that hard.

As your sticking with HJ duffs, Olivia's are offering new replacement 47 chassis, some/all ? being fitted with the early style Batt/water tanks assy..............sadly they also come with the "original" style crudy brass wheelsets.................

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heljan-Replacement-Chassis-OO-Gauge-Class-26-47-Option-/282394399993?var=&hash=item41c00494f9:m:mUyXzouHsrC1XjlZdyL_D0w

Hi Dave,

Both locos look excellent, I think that is a cracking way to achieve ex works/ fairly well cleaned loco look. I do like your weathered machines though and I am particularly impressed by the look of theMK2 stock.

Always nice to see what's appearing next at Waverley! Class 68 on the Fife circle lol?

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark. I was pleased with the way it came out, especially as I didn't want it to just look like a model that had simply been taken out of the box and plonked on the layout. 

Expect a bit more colour in forthcoming developments on WW, including 492 at some point of course!

68007 is on desk duty at the moment by the way. A Fife circle rake would be nice mind.  :sungum:

Cheers 

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Always nice to see what's appearing next at Waverley! Class 68 on the Fife circle lol?

Cheers

Mark

That'd be a good one to drop in at an exhibition - solid '80s action then the class 68 ScotRail set then back to normal '80s again - just to see if anyone noticed.

Just blame it on a faulty chip in the time-machine! :)

Problem solved.

47555 had battery boxes only from 1983 (http://class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0748000019000).

Swap the underframe detail on 47001 and 47555 over. 47555 should have the other water tank cut away (strictly speaking) but that is a lot easier than building a new one for 47001.

Thanks Flood. That's brilliant.

Hi Dave

Always look forward to your new posts, I have a couple of undated shots of  47 001  at Shrewsbury with Haymarket Emblems under the numbers, Its obviously between 1981 and 1986 when it moved to Carlisle [KD]. Will try and find said pictures and post them.

Keep up the good work, Just checked on class47.co.uk it was actually under the drivers window, not there in April '83, applied by September '84 and replaced by March '85 by small bodyside emblem

Paul.

Edited by GRUNFOS

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rich. Much appreciated. Will let you know how I get on with the sound. I'm a bit concerned I'm going to end up with the same changes in engine sound as it passes over points as I get with my fuel tank-fitted 27. 

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes that is odd - did you get to the bottom of what was causing the sound change? It is just the sound being bounced back, or it something electronic??

Love the various 47 shots too.

Rich