Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Dave, 

What a wonderful picture of 47642 - possibly your best yet? There is absolutely nothing to give it away as a model.  It certainly made me smile and brought back a few memories.  It was one of the very last 47s I required for sight and, living in the South of England, it evaded me for years, leaving an annoying gap in my 'locoshed'.  I only caught up with it in latter years at the Bo'ness and Kinneil  after it had retired to preservation and I was working near Aberdeen.  Waverley West never fails to impress: more  of the same, please.  

Best wishes,

Paul

Dave, 

What a wonderful picture of 47642 - possibly your best yet? There is absolutely nothing to give it away as a model.  It certainly made me smile and brought back a few memories.  It was one of the very last 47s I required for sight and, living in the South of England, it evaded me for years, leaving an annoying gap in my 'locoshed'.  I only caught up with it in latter years at the Bo'ness and Kinneil  after it had retired to preservation and I was working near Aberdeen.  Waverley West never fails to impress: more  of the same, please.  

Best wishes,

Paul

Dave, 

Best wishes,

Paul

It's 47643 at boness, unless of 642 visited there at some point.

LOL - so it is! TVM - Nostalgia ain't what it used to be... :-) However, I required both '642 and '643 for the same reason, so I was close! In any event, still an awesome photograph.

Best wishes,

P

Hi folks, 

A few photos from this afternoon's operating session, which saw newly released Petroleum 47190 on the oil train. Modelling time has been at a premium recently, so not much progress has been made, but at least 47190 has been completed and put into service.

attachicon.gif47190 1b.jpg

attachicon.gif47190 1.jpg

attachicon.gif47190 at speed 1a.jpg

attachicon.gif47190 at speed 1c.jpg

47555 arriving on a service from Inverness...

attachicon.gif47555 4.jpg

attachicon.gif47555 1.jpg

Meanwhile, 60009 was waiting to leave on another railtour...

attachicon.gif60009 1.jpg

attachicon.gif60009 1b.jpg

Some other miscellaneous shots....

attachicon.gifMk 2 1a.jpg

attachicon.gifMk 2 1.jpg

attachicon.gifMk 2 2.jpg

A TEA from the oil train rake...

attachicon.gifTEA 1.jpg

Finally, a shot from around 1990 of a rake of TEA tankers behind 47190 passing Haymarket...

attachicon.gif47190 2 BW.jpg

attachicon.gif47190 1b BW.jpg

I have still to decide on my next project. A Large Logo 47, 47563 Women's Guild in its late 1980s Inverness guise, is the most likely. Watch this space.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Hi Dave

Some brilliant modelling, on one of your photos of A4 60009 the only item that confirmed it was actually a model to me was the springside lamp laying on the platform,

First time I saw the photo I had to look two or three times as I really thought it was the A4 itself.

Really great stuff.

Regards

David

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

Not much has been happening at Waverley West these past few weeks. The weather has been fantastic recently, as it often is in May here, and I've been outside making the most of it.

In other news, work is under way on several Bachmann Large Logo 47s, so I've been mired in an underworld of battery compartments, water tanks (or not), boiler ports (or not) and headcode panels (or not) recently. What a minefield modelling 47s is! More on those to follow later, but needless to say the emphasis is on the Scottish variants.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Hope all is well - you seem to have been quiet recently! I missing the updates on WW!!  

On a serious note, a mate was asking me the other day how the RTR Class 47s from Bachmann and Hornby compare, and whether they need much work doing to them, to make them accurate.  Not currently being a 4mm modeller, and very out of touch with the OO gauge scene, I thought it might be a question you could answer, then as I find the thread and look to make sure I've not missed anything, I remembered your doing some work on your 47 fleet at the moment!  Can you answer the above question? Also, do you mind if I ask what your actually doing to them - is it scratch building additions or etched brass items?

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Hope all is well - you seem to have been quiet recently! I missing the updates on WW!!  

On a serious note, a mate was asking me the other day how the RTR Class 47s from Bachmann and Hornby compare, and whether they need much work doing to them, to make them accurate.  Not currently being a 4mm modeller, and very out of touch with the OO gauge scene, I thought it might be a question you could answer, then as I find the thread and look to make sure I've not missed anything, I remembered your doing some work on your 47 fleet at the moment!  Can you answer the above question? Also, do you mind if I ask what your actually doing to them - is it scratch building additions or etched brass items?

Rich

Hi Rich,

I have been quiet recently for various reasons. Once the summer arrives, I like to spend as much time outside as possible whenever the weather is decent. And life's been getting in the way too. However, I have been beavering away on a few projects when I've had the time. I've been working on some Large Logo Bachmann 47s. I'm guessing you mean how do the Bachmann and Heljan 47s compare, as the old Hornby 47 doesn't really live up to modern standards? 

I'm a fan of both the Bachmann and the Heljan offering to be honest and my Heljan 47s have been the mainstay of my fleet for many years, being solid and smooth performers and mostly looking the part. The big issue with the Heljan 47s is the width of course but with a uniform fleet of Heljan 47s I never really noticed it to be honest. However, I've been buying quite a few Bachmann 47s recently and I must admit I am now noticing the width issue more, although I do run the Bachmann and Heljan versions side by side without too much jarring.

I think my view now is that I prefer the Bachmann version. I think it captures the look of the 47 from more angles than the Heljan one. There are a few relatively minor issues, such as the cab door window size. The footsteps on the cab front are also oversized but that's fairly simple to fix. I also reduce the size of the headcode dots on the front panels using Fox Transfers too, as the ones on one end of the Bachmann 47 in particular look pretty oversized to me. I find I have to do much less to the Bachmann ones though to make a decent looking loco, in my case being those front footsteps and removal of the cab roof aerial, although obviously that's an era issue, not an accuracy one. The Heljan versions didn't need to much doing to them either but I did think they needed replacement roof grill etches as well.

The biggest drawback with the Bachmann ones is a slight tendency to derail because of the fixed centre axle. I'm going to try Peter's (PCM) suggestion of filing down the centre wheel housing on the bogie block to see if that makes a difference. It isn't a major problem but the Bachmann ones do derail noticeably more often than the Heljan version, which has a floating centre axle which can even cope with my track without any problem.

Here are some piccies of two Bachmann 47s recently released from the Waverley West Works, Inverness-based 47517 complete with blue roof and 47641 in Eastfield condition...

First up is 47517 Andrew Carnegie. This is a partial respray from the Bachmann LL 47 with its underframe tanks replaced for the correct type using Heljan ones.

post-7247-0-17825700-1499856228_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-38242700-1499856319_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-57717100-1499856329_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-27072000-1499856356_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-28494100-1499856373_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-91242500-1499856397_thumb.jpg

...and 47641 Fife Region. This loco has also had its underframe tanks replaced with Heljan versions of the correct type. Otherwise, it hasn't had too much done to it apart from renumbering. The front footsteps have been reduced in size and a few other minor titivations and removal of the cab aerial really. Unfortunately, the latter does entail respraying of the roof, but that's a fairly simple job.

post-7247-0-34335700-1499856426_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-41338700-1499856450_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-56730400-1499856466_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-02946900-1499856483_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-06240800-1499856491_thumb.jpg

Also recently emerged from the works are Inverness-based 47563, Eastfield's 47636 and bog standard Large Logo 47459 (Bescot-based at the time I'm modelling if I remember rightly), which I've seen working Fife services in the 80s. So I've probably gone overboard with the Large Logo 47s recently, but at least I now have a decent fleet.

Hope to be back soon with some pics of the other LL 47s. Also just released from the works are two more Class 26s which have had new sugar cube speakers and sound chips fitted. I have now sold all of my old SWD class 26 sound chips, which have given me good service over the years, and replaced them with legomanbiffo versions and better speakers.

Next on the bench will probably be some ScotRail and InterCity 47s plus another Coal Sector 26. And I really must get round to doing some more detailing of the inside of the depot sheds! Oh, and a Dapol Class 122 has recently arrived too, so that may well move up the queue. Plenty to do!

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 14

Interesting point out the Bacchy vs Heljan Dave. I acquired a 47 from my good friend the Mallard which looks cracking, but has a tendency to slip off on large radius fine scale points. It's not a great fan of medium radius ones either TBH, and I had it on my list to spend a long time working on the geometry.

I couldn't understand why a simple six wheel bogie should be so light footed, especially as a 'Cock o'the North' rumbles over the same points without a flinch, and now I know.

Always have to double check when I visit Waverley West act you've not slipped in a 12" to the foot pic, because it is just so damn lifelike!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think my view now is that I prefer the Bachmann version. I think it captures the look of the 47 from more angles than the Heljan one. There are a few relatively minor issues, such as the cab door window size. The footsteps on the cab front are also oversized but that's fairly simple to fix. I also reduce the size of the headcode dots on the front panels using Fox Transfers too, as the ones on one end of the Bachmann 47 in particular look pretty oversized to me. I find I have to do much less to the Bachmann ones though to make a decent looking loco, in my case being those front footsteps and removal of the cab roof aerial, although obviously that's an era issue, not an accuracy one. The Heljan versions didn't need to much doing to them either but I did think they needed replacement roof grill etches as well.

The biggest drawback with the Bachmann ones is a slight tendency to derail because of the fixed centre axle. I'm going to try Peter's (PCM) suggestion of filing down the centre wheel housing on the bogie block to see if that makes a difference. It isn't a major problem but the Bachmann ones do derail noticeably more often than the Heljan version, which has a floating centre axle which can even cope with my track without any problem.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply and the detailed answer.  Sounds like Bachmann have got things pretty much spot on then! I'll pass the info back to my mate. Those 47s looks superb.  Does the blue bodyside colour come slightly into the grills on the first one?

Always have to double check when I visit Waverley West act you've not slipped in a 12" to the foot pic, because it is just so damn lifelike!

Totally agree with that comment!!  I think Dave fools us on occasions and drops a real image in because we'll never notice!

Rich

• Like 2

Does the blue bodyside colour come slightly into the grills on the first one?

Rich

Thanks Rich. The roof is actually completely blue. It's just grubby! If you look at a lot of photos of loco body sides, the grime often seems to extend down to around half way down the grills or so. I guess that the dividing line was as far as the washers could reach.

See here for example:

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0147024705000

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rich. The roof is actually completely blue. It's just grubby! If you look at a lot of photos of loco body sides, the grime often seems to extend down to around half way down the grills or so. I guess that the dividing line was as far as the washers could reach.

See here for example:

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0147024705000

Dave

Ah! Didn't think of that!  Well spotted .. what a great example to model, something different!

Rich

oh oh, I have room envy.

:(

This is what it was like 5 1/2 years ago when we first arrived here, with the layout still to have its protective cages removed. Since then it's been insulated, plastered, centrally heated, had new windows and a new door fitted and a new carpet (which I'm doing a pretty good job of ruining with solder, glue, etc. etc.) to make a pretty decent railway room. It was crazily expensive to heat using electric heaters and often either too cold or too hot in the early days, but now it's comfortable just about year-round, including all through the winter thanks to the central heating. Oh what a difference that made. It even copes pretty well with the relentless heat of a Cumbrian summer too.  :jester:

As the room measures 6 x 5m, I'd probably have made WW a bit larger had I started the layout in this room, but at least I have some good-sized fiddle yards instead. The only downside to the room is that I have to go outside to get to it, which in the middle of winter when it's pouring down is a bit of a pain, especially if I'm carrying locos or rolling stock, but I really should not complain I know!

post-7247-0-61606800-1500281767_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 17

This is what it was like 5 1/2 years ago when we first arrived here, with the layout still to have its protective cages removed. Since then it's been insulated, plastered, centrally heated, had new windows and a new door fitted and a new carpet (which I'm doing a pretty good job of ruining with solder, glue, etc. etc.) to make a pretty decent railway room. It was crazily expensive to heat using electric heaters and often either too cold or too hot in the early days, but now it's comfortable just about year-round, including all through the winter thanks to the central heating. Oh what a difference that made. It even copes pretty well with the relentless heat of a Cumbrian summer too.  :jester:

As the room measures 6 x 5m, I'd probably have made WW a bit larger had I started the layout in this room, but at least I have some good-sized fiddle yards instead. The only downside to the room is that I have to go outside to get to it, which in the middle of winter when it's pouring down is a bit of a pain, especially if I'm carrying locos or rolling stock, but I really should not complain I know!

attachicon.gifRailway room 0.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Carlsberg dont make railway rooms ... but if they did ....

• Like 1