Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi Dave,

The latest wagons look great. I really like the Heljan Dogfish I have a few myself mixed in with my Cambrian ones.

P way trains did run with some odd formations and you may already know but your train has a mix of brake types so would be running as an unfitted freight. 

Your ZAAs Pike and OCAs which I think under departmental ownership where ZDAs  Bass are Air braked and the ZFV Dogfish are Vac braked.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Some more great photos.

I, and I'm sure many others, would love to experience your locos trundling through the Mound and past Haymarket depot with all the sounds you've installed.

Have you done any videos recently?

Cheers,

Al.

Hi Dave,

The latest wagons look great. I really like the Heljan Dogfish I have a few myself mixed in with my Cambrian ones.

P way trains did run with some odd formations and you may already know but your train has a mix of brake types so would be running as an unfitted freight. 

Your ZAAs Pike and OCAs which I think under departmental ownership where ZDAs  Bass are Air braked and the ZFV Dogfish are Vac braked.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter. Very informative. I was thinking of the rake as a motley collection of wagons which had to be moved from A to B, rather than a rake for a particular purpose. As you say, p way trains seem to run in almost random formations at times and I really did just cobble the rake together, probably much like the prototype really. The Shark brake normally goes on the end of my Seacow rake but that has been withdrawn for weathering now that this new rake is running.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Hi Dave,

Some more great photos.

I, and I'm sure many others, would love to experience your locos trundling through the Mound and past Haymarket depot with all the sounds you've installed.

Have you done any videos recently?

Cheers,

Al.

Thanks Al. I haven't done any videos for a while now, mainly because I wasn't very happy with the results once I'd posted them on youtube. They seemed to lose a lot of quality during the conversion/compression process for some reason, which isn't a problem many others on here seem to have. The camera I use (a normal Canon DSLR which produces good quality still shots) also seems to suffer from a shallow depth of field in video mode when doing close-ups.

I'd definitely like to get back into doing them though, especially with the recent sound upgrades I've been doing. It's something I need to think about.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

Hi folks,

There's a fishy theme tonight as I introduce my newly weathered rake of PW wagons, a motley collection of Dogfish, Pike and OCAs and a Shark brake van. I've had the rake of Heljan Dogfish for around 10 years now and have finally got round to weathering them.

First up are some Dogfish

attachicon.gifDogfish 2.jpg

attachicon.gifDogfish 3.jpg

attachicon.gifDogfish 4.jpg

Next, the Pike...

attachicon.gifPike 1.jpg

And bringing up the rear, a Shark brake van...

attachicon.gifShark 1.jpg

Currently ably headed by 27034 complete with new fuel tank speaker and legoman sound chip. Three OCAs are at the head of the rake.

attachicon.gif27034 1.jpg

attachicon.gif27034 2.jpg

attachicon.gif27034 4.jpg

Finally, new arrival 08421. This 08 has been fitted by Lee (blueeighties) with a Zimo sound chip and lights plus stayalive. It sounds and runs beautifully. The only problem is that it seems to have developed a worrying tendency to occasionally shoot off at high speed without warning when not in use, which I've yet to get to the bottom of.

attachicon.gif08421 1.jpg

Cheers for now,

Dave

Sheer quality Dave.

Ian

Hi folks,

There's a fishy theme tonight as I introduce my newly weathered rake of PW wagons, a motley collection of Dogfish, Pike and OCAs and a Shark brake van. I've had the rake of Heljan Dogfish for around 10 years now and have finally got round to weathering them.

First up are some Dogfish

attachicon.gifDogfish 2.jpg

attachicon.gifDogfish 3.jpg

attachicon.gifDogfish 4.jpg

Next, the Pike...

attachicon.gifPike 1.jpg

And bringing up the rear, a Shark brake van...

attachicon.gifShark 1.jpg

Currently ably headed by 27034 complete with new fuel tank speaker and legoman sound chip. Three OCAs are at the head of the rake.

attachicon.gif27034 1.jpg

attachicon.gif27034 2.jpg

attachicon.gif27034 4.jpg

Finally, new arrival 08421. This 08 has been fitted by Lee (blueeighties) with a Zimo sound chip and lights plus stayalive. It sounds and runs beautifully. The only problem is that it seems to have developed a worrying tendency to occasionally shoot off at high speed without warning when not in use, which I've yet to get to the bottom of.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Not sure if wheelchocs are available in 00 - maybe a scratchbuild option?

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Back in your period Dave they were unpainted wood but with a pink coloured preserver on the sides and the wooden handle, they quickly ​weathered to a brown/ black grime colour and not very visible

Back in your period Dave they were unpainted wood but with a pink coloured preserver on the sides and the wooden handle, they quickly ​weathered to a brown/ black grime colour and not very visible

I'm sure I've seen some slighty grubby white ones, russ. Dating from the late 70s/early 80s judging from everything else in the photo?

Could I ask what make of figure Douglas Fir is? The stance and and proportions are really nice.

Really great set of photos, although I love a lot of EM layouts, your Waverley West always reminds me that really high quality modelling can be done in OO gauge (and you get the advantage of having a tighter wheel spacing to take tighter curves).

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Jamie

Could I ask what make of figure Douglas Fir is? The stance and and proportions are really nice.

Really great set of photos, although I love a lot of EM layouts, your Waverley West always reminds me that really high quality modelling can be done in OO gauge (and you get the advantage of having a tighter wheel spacing to take tighter curves).

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie.

I'm pretty sure Douglas is from the Preiser range, although at the moment I don't seem to be able to find the particular pack that he's from. Will keep looking and let you know if I find out his origins.

Cheers

Dave

Funny you should say that, Ian. Wheelchocs for the depot are on my to-do list. I've often seen them in photos taken outside the depot.

How about this 31018 at the NRM York last week -  with stick to aid removal.

post-7252-0-45712300-1493571052_thumb.jpg

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening Dave,

Cheers for now,

Dave

Just catching up, but superb photographs as ever - I still say your sneaking some real ones in!!  I have seen a comment about 08s shooting off when stood before.  Mine hasn't, but it might be something to do with either the project, or as one of your other commentators suggested the ability to run on DC needs checking to make sure its switched off.  It could be something to do with the project too I guess, although id have thought it would be more widespread if so - you mentioned it was a Zimo chip, whose project is it?

The model of 47001 looks the business too!  As far as I know, all wheel chocks are wooden, certainly the ones I've used are!  But that shot of the NRM one is a fairly good style, although a lot of the depot ones, and ones on locos etc, don't tend to have the handle.  As you have so much detail on this layout, let us in on the secret for how your going to put them in place on the locos on the layout :) hehe

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been following this thread for quite a while and I find it astonishing that you keep coming up with new angles that you can photograph such real scenes from.

Again, well done sir.

Kev.

I've been following this thread for quite a while and I find it astonishing that you keep coming up with new angles that you can photograph such real scenes from.

Again, well done sir.

Kev.

Thanks Kev. I'll do my best to keep coming up with new angles.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2