Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi folks, 

With the space-time displacement machine set to 1986, I had a quick trip down to Haymarket this afternoon as the sun was shining.

47406 Rail Riders has now been finished and has joined the growing ranks of Bachmann 47s on the layout...

attachicon.gif47406 1.jpg

attachicon.gif47406 2c.jpg

Hope to be back soon.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Back in 1986 for those of us who were Rail Riders, a photo of 47406 would have been sent to the club to be published in the club magazine, possibly for a prize.

I have a vague memory of one magazine with the exciting news 47406 had been painted into Intercity. I think it was the first time I had seen the livery. Also have a possibly vaguer memory of a story in the same edition that it stood in for the 47 named Night Mail which had not been repainted into Intercity in time to star in an advert featuring 47 on the West Coast mail as part of the BR advert based on the poem Night Mail.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Back in 1986 for those of us who were Rail Riders, a photo of 47406 would have been sent to the club to be published in the club magazine, possibly for a prize.

Yes as a former member I remember those days! Not quite OO Gauge or 1ft to 1ft Gauge, but I do now own 47406 in 7mm ;) although it still needs headlights and DCC Sound fitting!

sorry for the hijack!

post-16721-0-74170100-1509230580_thumb.jpeg

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 8

Nice Rich!

My 406 was a Rails Limited Edition which I picked up a while back. It fitted the bill very nicely of a named non-Scottish InterCity 47/4 for a bit of variety to run on WW.

While I'm here, here's a quick photo of 26025 basking in the sunshine which got left off the last batch...

post-7247-0-18974300-1509299985_thumb.jpg

plus a close up of 47492 with a stormy sky in the background...

post-7247-0-97407200-1509300885_thumb.jpg

I was lucky enough to have a whole morning to spend modelling earlier today - an extreme rarity. I got a lot done too, including finishing off a centre car to add to one of my 2-car 108s. This runs with the 122 bubble car, making a 4-car unit, which alternates with my 4-car 101 unit departing from Platform 18. Eastfield-based Large Logo 47636 was also finished and test-run. 

I also made a start on respraying one of my Regional Railways 150s into the original Sprinter livery, along with a 105 Cravens DMU power car into blue/grey. WW's DMU fleet has been improved recently what with the 122 and the 108 centre car, with the aim of making 2-car units into 3 cars, as these were more common at Waverley in the 80s. The blue/grey 105 will also add some variety as per this shot which I took at Kinghorn in the late 70s/early 80s...

post-7247-0-85426300-1509300498_thumb.jpg

I've also purchased another 3-car 108 with black window surrounds on ebay, so that's yet another project on the to do list.

The final BRCW Type 2 to be fitted with sugarcube speakers was also finished and is ready to be released from the works. This will enable double-headed 26s to be run to Inverness and Aberdeen once again. Nice.  :sungum:  :sungum:  

I also painted a signal gantry which I received a little while back from Matt at Absolute Aspects. This will be installed on the main line outside the depot as per the prototype gantry which was there in the 80s/90s (not sure whether it's still there).

After studying pics of the East Yard, I've also decided to grass over the area by the sidings in this area of the depot, as per the prototype. There's also an underbridge here with structures visible above ground, which I'm hoping to replicate.

So, plenty to do. Watch this space!

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Nice Rich!

My 406 was a Rails Limited Edition which I picked up a while back. It fitted the bill very nicely of a named non-Scottish InterCity 47/4 for a bit of variety to run on WW.

attachicon.gifCravens.jpg

Thanks Dave,

A Heljan 7mm example repainted my a friend of mine in my case!  Have three more 47s to repaint for my new layout!  Your model photography is superb tho, love the shots on Haymarket Depot ... and as for that DMU combination, you've even managed to get a prototypical blur to the model as it passed :). Sorry, struggling to work out which is model and which is real on your layout hehe!

Rich 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Here's a quick project of a scene I've never seen modelled before, surprisingly really - a spotter leaning out of the window watching the loco. Of course, I would never condone such reckless action.

The figure is a Dart Casting "Hoodie" with the hood removed. He's modelled on yours truly with my trusty 1980s over-the-head Peter Storm orange cagoule. I know, even back in those days, I led the way in street fashion. They don't make them like that anymore, thank goodness. 

Here he is arriving at Platform 16 on a service from Fife behind HA-based 47102...

attachicon.gifBasher 1.jpg

attachicon.gifBasher 2.jpg

attachicon.gifBasher 4.jpg

attachicon.gifBasher 3.jpg

Cheers 

Dave

Ha ha great ! When I was 15 (way back in 1990) I modelled an NSE mk2 BFK with bashers hanging out the windows. I've been on the look out for 'flailing' figures recently , hoping to recreate that coach. It's not something you see modelled. Surprising, seeing as how a lot of us do this because we spent our youth hanging out behind locos!

Hi Dave,

I have a couple of quick questions if I may

1. Are you DC or DCC?

2. If you are DCC what controller are you using?

Thanks in advance!

50002Superb

Hi Superb,

WW is DCC. I use an ECoS 50200 Command Station, which I really like. I especially like the integral control panel/track plans which enable both route setting and control of individual points and signals...

This is the Waverley West/Princes St Gardens track plan...

post-7247-0-14522300-1511112337_thumb.jpg

and here is Haymarket West Yard...

post-7247-0-08459000-1511112281_thumb.jpg

and finally Haymarket East Yard...

post-7247-0-79202800-1511112211_thumb.jpg

There are also separate control panels for the two fiddle yards.

and then there's the loco control panel with speedometers. You can also switch to "multi" mode, which makes it very easy to control several locos at once.

post-7247-0-43090000-1511112435_thumb.jpg

All accessories, routes, decoder programming, etc. are all accessed via the menu structure. Not cheap admittedly,  but worth the money in my opinion, for larger layouts anyway.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 7

Hi folks,

While I'm here, I just thought I'd post some pics of what's on my workbench at the moment. I've completed the partial respraying of one 150/2 into the original Provincial livery, 150283, which is now in service. Some pics to follow later I hope. I liked it so much I've decided to do my other 150/2 as well and this is now well under way.

Here is what will become Haymarket-based 150259. Basic livery is complete and varnished. The power car is almost complete, but I ran out of "2's" to make up the numbers on the trailer car, so I've just ordered some more transfers. I like doing projects like this, as it's been on my "to do" list for years, literally. It gives me a false sense that one day I'll get round to all the projects I've got in mind. I just need to get a round tuit, that's all.

post-7247-0-88919600-1511113095_thumb.jpg

47641 is on the naughty step, as it's making a vibrating noise with the sound on, almost certainly caused by wires around the speaker.

Just entered the works is a Bachmann 3-car 108 which will masquerade as a TransClyde 107 with black cab window surrounds. I've just started work on this and so far it's had its interior painted and I've made a start on the black window surrounds.

post-7247-0-51300000-1511112960_thumb.jpg

The minion in the top right is Dave, my namesake, by the way. 

Hopefully, I'll be able to finish off these projects fairly quickly.

For my next project, I'm considering creating 3-car 150001, again in original Provincial livery. It operated out of Waverley in 85 in connection with the Open Day at Haymarket. I have two 150s ready for the project, which I bought cheap years ago, but creating the centre car will be a bit of a tricky job involving surgery. 

Hope to be back soon with some pics of the new Provincial-liveried 150283 in service...

Apologies for the quality of the photos by the way. The focus on my camera is ailing these days.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 15

257 was the first one I saw at Haymarket...

15845071201_8a8b3202c7_c.jpg

And I also saw the prototype on the shuttle that open day

15659711940_f1bf455d90_c.jpg

What next??

15846449992_e2820eee44_c.jpg

Jim

Nice photos, Jim. Thanks. The takeover by the 150s pretty much marks the end of the period covered by WW. I might stretch to one of Bachmann's new 158s when they eventually arrive though and a Realtrack 156 in Regional Railways livery too. Loco haulage will forever remain dominant on WW though.

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 6

Hi again folks,

Here as promised are a few shots of the resprayed 150283. Minimal weathering for once, as they're modelled shortly after their arrival on Fife services in 86 if I remember rightly, although they always seemed to remain pretty clean when in this livery anyway.

Here it is passing through Princes St Gardens on a service from Dundee...

post-7247-0-22155700-1511119842_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-94430000-1511119861_thumb.jpg

Stabled in Platform 12 next to a Strathclyde 107...

post-7247-0-81408300-1511119873_thumb.jpg

It later departed for Dundee, passing through Princes St Gardens on a string of double yellows...

post-7247-0-51660300-1511119912_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-00738500-1511119895_thumb.jpg

Basically, I've only resprayed the pale grey and replaced the stripes, so the project was more straightforward than I expected. Getting those stripes straight was probably the hardest part of the job. A new "window" (consisting of a piece of plastic glazing with the back painted black) has been added to the centre cab door along with corridor connections and Pete Harvey's excellent seat etches for the power cars. Both my 150s have had their pickups hard-wired to the circuit board to improve reliability too. 

Having looked at many photos of 150s, what does strike me is that the real interiors do look pretty dark or even black almost all of the time, so Bachmann's decision to fill the power car and darken the windows to hide the interior in the original version of the 150 maybe isn't so strange. Having said that, I'd have much preferred actual seating with lights and a detailed interior. One day, I might even get round to fitting a low mechanism to my two power cars, but that's well down the list right now.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 19

Hi Superb,

WW is DCC. I use an ECoS 50200 Command Station, which I really like. I especially like the integral control panel/track plans which enable both route setting and control of individual points and signals...

This is the Waverley West/Princes St Gardens track plan...

IMG_2798.JPG

and here is Haymarket West Yard...

IMG_2801.JPG

and finally Haymarket East Yard...

IMG_2797.JPG

There are also separate control panels for the two fiddle yards.

and then there's the loco control panel with speedometers. You can also switch to "multi" mode, which makes it very easy to control several locos at once.

IMG_2832.JPG

All accessories, routes, decoder programming, etc. are all accessed via the menu structure. Not cheap admittedly, but worth the money in my opinion, for larger layouts anyway.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, for a beginner like me this is really interesting and useful, thanks so much for sharing.

• RMweb Gold

257 was the first one I saw at Haymarket...

15845071201_8a8b3202c7_c.jpg

And I also saw the prototype on the shuttle that open day

15659711940_f1bf455d90_c.jpg

What next??

15846449992_e2820eee44_c.jpg

Jim

If I hadn't seen the bottom picture I'd never have thought a 120 would have met a 158, must have been a very late survivor shame it didn't get saved for good

• Like 2

Nice photos, Jim. Thanks. The takeover by the 150s pretty much marks the end of the period covered by WW. I might stretch to one of Bachmann's new 158s when they eventually arrive though and a Realtrack 156 in Regional Railways livery too. Loco haulage will forever remain dominant on WW though.

Thanks - I support your policy wholeheartedly, I witnessed the arrival of the 158s, replacing the 47/7s on the Glasgow to Edinburgh services and it was the end of an era, not for the better I may say.  It was almost like the end of steam for the older generation and I lost a lot of interest and stopped spotting at that time/

Jim

• Like 1

Well, I've made a start now. There's no turning back...  :O  :O  :O  

post-7247-0-82305000-1511169463_thumb.jpg

The 1/3 and 2/3 body length cuts were made adjacent to the door seals, so the join down the bodysides should be pretty much invisible. The join over the roof will of course not be so easy to hide, but hopefully some filler should fix that. 

My attempts to explain to Mrs WW last night why I was cutting up two perfectly good trains to make one train left her completely non-plussed. Honestly, the mixed-up logic of non-believers.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Well, I've made a start now. There's no turning back...  :O  :O  :O  

attachicon.gifCentre car 1.jpg

The 1/3 and 2/3 body length cuts were made adjacent to the door seals, so the join down the bodysides should be pretty much invisible. The join over the roof will of course not be so easy to hide, but hopefully some filler should fix that. 

My attempts to explain to Mrs WW last night why I was cutting up two perfectly good trains to make one train left her completely non-plussed. Honestly, the mixed-up logic of non-believers.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Cheers for now,

Dave

Looking good Dave, take it this is 150001? Quite a big job are you swapping the cab doors over too?

I used to drive the prototypes in central trains days but they had been converted to almost standard by then, when new the had a conventional two pipe air brake system controlled by PBL controllers

Looking good Dave, take it this is 150001? Quite a big job are you swapping the cab doors over too?

I used to drive the prototypes in central trains days but they had been converted to almost standard by then, when new the had a conventional two pipe air brake system controlled by PBL controllers

Thanks Russ. Yep, 150001. I haven't decided quite how far I'm going to take the conversion. Probably not that far, as it's not exactly an important class for WW, but it would be nice to end up with a reasonably accurate looking model. 

As regards the cab doors, not sure yet. That might be a step too far. EDIT: Looking at it again though, Russ, it's looking increasingly likely like a full repaint might be required. In which case, redoing the cab doors might well be an option, especially as I could use the doors off the severed cab ends.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West