Dapol announce 'N' 27, 'OO' 73 and 'O' 08 at Alexandra Palace

Andy Y

At the London Festival of Railway Modelling Dapol have announced they are to produce a Class 27 in N, a Class 73 in 'OO' and a Class 08 in 'O'. These announcements for the show are ahead of their new catalogue planned for April when further announcements will be made.

The 'O' gauge Class 08 is a particularly significant announcement that potentially heralds a new era for 'O' with a low-cost product of less than £200 which may stimulate new interest in the gauge whilst satisfying the needs of existing 'O' modellers.

The Class 73 brings contemporary standards to a long-lived and widely used prototype and the Class 27 builds on the success of their Class 26 for Scottish N gauge modellers.

N gauge

ND205a Class 27 #D5381 BR Green with small yellow warning panel (with gangway doors)

ND205b Class 27 #D5411 BR Green with full yellow front end (with gangway doors)

ND205c Class 27 #27008 BR Blue (plated gangway doors)

ND205d Class 27 #27032 BR Blue (plated gangway doors)

Suggested RRP £104.95

These models use Dapol's tried and tested class 26 chassis and as such benefit from exceptional running with the ‘super creep’ motor allied to a low fiction mechanism. They are DCC ready and supplied factory fitted with a pair of Dapol ‘easi-shunt’ magnetic couplers.

OO gauge

4D010001 Class 73 #73102 Intercity Livery named “Airtour Suisse”

4D010002 Class 73 #73105 Large Logo Blue

4D010003 Class 73 #73124 BR Blue

4D010004 Class 73 #73135 BR Blue

A new and much requested model, the Dapol class 73 benefits from being laser scanned for accuracy, and having see through etched main bodyside and roof grills.

As a first for UK OO gauge outline Dapol are designing it with PLUx22 decoder interface to make full use of the lighting and sound configurations available.

Sprung buffers, NEM coupler pockets and a host of other details should make this model a ‘must have’ for the Southern modeller.

Please note the tooling is being produced to allow for ‘JA’ variants at a later date.

Suggested RRP £124.95

O gauge

7D010001 Class 08 shunter #D3048 BR Green with late crest, no yellow warning panels

7D010002 Class 08 shunter #13115 BR Green with early crest, no yellow warning panels

7D010003 Class 08 shunter #08529 BR Blue with wasp stripes

7D010004 Class 08 shunter #08708 EWS with wasp stripes

Dapol's first O gauge locomotive is a much requested one as well. The 08 is a model that has not been manufactured in finished RTR O gauge before and it will benefit from the ‘Dapol way of thinking’ with slides in the tooling that allow for other versions, lighting differences, ladders or without etc.

A 5 pole motor allied to a flywheel and a DCC interface makes this DCC sound compatible locomotive a ‘must have’ for those starting out in O gauge and wanting to simply shunt and have fun.

It also features sprung buffers, sprung coupling hook and 3 link chain, internally painted cab detail, and directional lighting correct for the livery depicted.

Suggested RRP £199.95

Damm you Andy :) I've just started an MMP 08! - Oh well at least I'll improve my skill base (well that's the theory)! - If they trully can produce a fairly accurate model at just short of £200 they'll surely be breaking new ground in O Gauge. A great announcement.

• RMweb Gold

And the boys in Liverpool are advertising it at £169 pre-order price.i

Was just about to post that. It is ridiculously cheap. That and a few of Dapol's wagons would make a great little shunting plank at very little cost.

Guest Max Stafford

The final push for me, that! I will now most definitely be adding 'O' to my repertoire - Kelso 1967, here I come!

Dave.

The final push for me, that! I will now most definitely be adding 'O' to my repertoire - Kelso 1967, here I come!

Dave.

And I'm sure I can find a nice little base in East Anglia for this...

Best, Pete.

OO gauge

4D010001 Class 73 #73102 Intercity Livery named “Airtour Suisseâ€

4D010002 Class 73 #73105 Large Logo Blue

4D010003 Class 73 #73124 BR Blue

4D010004 Class 73 #73135 BR Blue

Has anybody told Hornby yet?

Noting that the Limby model hasn't ever been issued in Blue(?).

• RMweb Premium

A decent 73 in OO in Standard Blue will suit me, as they used to run the odd train from Weymouth to Bournemouth on their diesel engines. Thumbs up from me. :good:

Dear Dave,

Many Thanks for the new 73' in 'OO'. :O

I'm looking forward to seeing a similar load of help coming your way via this forum, as happened with your Class 52 project, and knowing it will be good, have placed an order.

However,

I have somehow worked out that I will 'need' TEN of your new 73's, liveries pending, so a nice 'drip feed' on new liveries would be brilliant..........? :no:

Many Thanks again and best wishes with the project.

Shed.

Will definitely be grabbing a blue 08 in O. Now all we need are some nice semi-modernish rtr wagons like 12 ton box vans to go with it - as nice as the Slaters kit is, I've got as far as the underframe and my brain began melting.

Guest Max Stafford

Proves the old movie line; "If you build it, they will come"! The OGG must be rubbing their hands in glee at the potential surge in membership! :yahoo: :dancer:

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Some smart commercial moves by Dapol all of which will surely be well received.

I have to admit a little disappointment however in that the 73s are all to carry TOPS numbers. With two otherwise identical BR blue ones to be produced might we reasonably expect one to have carried its pre-TOPS E6xxx number?

C'mon Dave ..... ;)

Excellent news regarding the 73. They should make a decent living out of this model due to the sheer number of liveries and variants. Hornby have certainly missed out on a steam era diesel loco which is still seeing use on the main line today with GBRF & Network Rail.

The 08 may even tempt me to build an 0 gauge shunting plank. I have a feeling B&Q will be running out of planks!

Well done Dapol-and still with more announcements to come!

Paul

Archived