Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

My nearest model railway shop has a test track and they test each locomotive before the customer buys it. There is not much difference in prices between them and Hattons. Perhaps the time has come to support your nearest model shop.

An excellent idea, if you are lucky enough to have a model shop that does UK outline within reasonable travelling distance.

From my original post...

, it's a number of years since I bought it, so I knew there was no question of any warranty,

Guys, let's get one thing clear here - I did NOT expect Hatton's to do anything about it after so many years, I fully accept it's my fault for not checking it when I got it, I just wanted them to be aware of what had happened (I paid for a new item but received a second-hand one), yet I was effectively called a liar!

Why would I lie when I made them fully aware from the outset that I was keeping the loco and wasn't looking for any form of refund - having spent a lot of time getting it to run right and fitted sound to it?

I did NOT expect them to "take action", I simply wanted them to acknowledge that a mix-up had occurred at some point, hopefully this would have allowed them to look at their own procedures to prevent anyone else having a similar issue.......

• RMweb Gold

You may not have expected action, but you did make a complaint (that they sent the wrong item).

So they had a choice of either accepting your complaint or not. They chose not.

Looking at their procedures from years ago would probably be pointless if they are happy with their current procedures.

Edit for typo

Edited by Colin_McLeod

Royal Mail has told me that Hattons' bar code is not recognised for my Bachmann SR olive green birdcage composite coach. This is the third time this has happened. I wonder if Hattons have submitted it into the Royal Mail network.

Last time the other coaches arrived a couple of days later but I was unable to track them so I had no idea when they would come.

• RMweb Gold

If the code is shown as "unrecognised", it usually means that the item hasn't yet been posted—if you check back in a day or so it should probably be known—you will be able to find out when and where it was posted (but Royal Mail tracking information isn't very detailed).

I currently have mixed views....

I've placed a lot of orders with Hatton's over the years and had no issues, but one thing I've been guilty of is buying locos and immediately putting them away into storage, for the day that I "get round to" building my layout....

Anyway, that day came recently, so once I had track down I started running locos. At this time, I discovered issues with Heljan's Class 14 and 17 models via the internet, so was wary of checking out those particular locos first.

First, the Class 17, after finding this forum and reading up on the issues. Sure enough, tight wormshaft bearings on the drive towers causing high current drain, dismantled and resolved, all back together and sound installed, job done.

Next, the 14.... opened the box, to find a loco with broken steps, headcodes cut from the sheet and already installed, glue marks on the body at the horn blocks and replacement etched cabside running numbers fitted! Oh, and it ran like a bag of bolts, with two pickups bent out of shape as well!! Not what I expected. Now, it's a number of years since I bought it, so I knew there was no question of any warranty, so I decided (with the help of info on this forum) to resolve the running issues myself. This I did, and now have a good running model, which I have installed sound into (with a degree of difficulty!).

I decided I would email Hattons and touch base, explaining the situation, as this had actually been bought as a new item....  various emails later, people not wanting to believe me that I had bought it "new", someone else talking about "damage" when it was actually modifications, and a steadfast refusal to acknowledge that something had gone wrong their end.... at one point I was more or less called a liar by one of their staff, which really angered me! Sadly, I don't have the original purchase docs as it was an internet purchase that would have been saved on the hard drive of my previous computer, which went to the big silicon valley in the sky about 2 years ago, haha. I am absolutely convinced that I was accidentally sent someone else's returned item as a new one, by mistake.

Lessons learned, 1. check everything on receipt. 2. print and keep paperwork. 3. don't trust a retailer just because they are big and have been around for a long time!  

This was my first ever occasion that I felt the need to contact Hatton's about anything I have ever purchased from them, and in all honestly it leaves a slightly bitter feeling towards buying from them again in the future!

If you have placed a lot of orders with Hatton's, surely you would have registered on there site and have an account? If not you should have, as all your transactions that you have ever done with them, would have been saved in "Your Orders" file, where you can view any order you have ever placed with them online. Mine go back to 2005.

You can buy a Hornby rolling road for about £50.

Or one of these for about the price of half a pint of ale :)

https://www.batterystation.co.uk/panasonic-batteries/panasonic-pro-power-9v-pp3-6lr61-battery-1-pack?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjZLJlL2H2QIVaLvtCh0h7QkgEAQYBSABEgIVyfD_BwE

• RMweb Premium

Sadly, I don't have the original purchase docs as it was an internet purchase that would have been saved on the hard drive of my previous computer, which went to the big silicon valley in the sky about 2 years ago,

From that statement there are two points that stand out.

1: What about the receipt that came in the parcel? I keep mine.

2: Why didn't you transfer your essential documents from one computer to another?

Keith

From that statement there are two points that stand out.

1: What about the receipt that came in the parcel? I keep mine.

2: Why didn't you transfer your essential documents from one computer to another?

Keith

1. I can't find it.

2. The computer had to be replaced because of failure, not possible to transfer from a fried hard-drive (or it wasn't, when I enquired at the time!).

3. Lessons learnt, it won't happen again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've noticed a pattern of what appears to be split DMUs on the second hand section but this is a new one - they are selling a HornbyDublo Duchess of Montrose apparently split:

That's how Hornby-Dublo sold its tender locos originally. I know it's daft, but there we are.

Both Hornby-Dublo and Tri-ang sold their locomotives and tenders separately which made the locomotives look cheaper. It also meant that if a locomotive wore out and the tender was alright you just needed to buy a locomotive. I had a Tri-ang unlined green Princess Elizabeth. When the crimson Princess Royal came out I bought a Princess Royal body from the Tri-ang spares department and a crimson tender from a toy shop in Chelsfield, Kent which gave my model a facelift.

When Hornby-Dublo brought out the Castle and 8F locomotives they sold the locomotives and tenders only as a unit as the three rail pick up was in the tender. They seemed very expensive but were about the same price as a Duchess locomotive and tender.

Hattons' price seems high. I recently bought a working Duchess of Atholl train set with two coaches and track for £35. The market for Hornby-Dublo seems to have collapsed/

• RMweb Gold

Hattons' price seems high. I recently bought a working Duchess of Atholl train set with two coaches and track for £35. The market for Hornby-Dublo seems to have collapsed/

Yes, unless it's mint, rare or both, (and boxed) most of it's not worth much at present.

The sad truth is that those giving up their HD collections through death or infirmity, many of whom had been collecting since childhood, greatly outnumber those newly attracted to collecting it.

There's such a lot of it coming on to the market that anyone beginning a collection can afford to be very choosy over the common stuff.

The one Hatton's are offering looks like it's one step away from landfill but there's probably just enough in it to get ones money back breaking it for spares.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Unless you want an EMU

Back in  the  80s  I was  doing  some  calls  in  Ashton  under  Lyne,  when  stopped  at  some  traffic  signals  I glanced  to  my  left and  there  was  a  cycle  shop, in  the  window  I spotted  some   Hornby  Dublo  items,  so  when  the lights  turned  green  I   drove  down a  side  road  parked up  and  went  into  the  shop,  to my  surprise there  was  a   2 car  EMU set  and also 3 centre  cars   I asked  the  shopkeeper  what  the  price  was   and  he  said 'give  us  a  fiver  for  the lot'  which  I  did,

£5 in  1985  is  worth  around £10.50 today  ( source  inflation  checker) 

• Like 9

Yes, unless it's mint, rare or both, (and boxed) most of it's not worth much at present.

The sad truth is that those giving up their HD collections through death or infirmity, many of whom had been collecting since childhood, greatly outnumber those newly attracted to collecting it.

There's such a lot of it coming on to the market that anyone beginning a collection can afford to be very choosy over the common stuff.

Anybody who's collecting as an investment is likely to be disappointed, unless they're collecting diamonds or Picasso. Tastes change.

Collect for your own enjoyment and 'play' value. Anything more than that can only be a cherry on the top, not a goal in itself.

Edited by truffy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chris.trebble

Hattons/Heljan Class 14. Received ex pre-order only to find one part of body loose in package and one part missing. Hattons responded quickly and helpful with advice on fitting loose part and replacement for missing part. Good service from Hattons but suggestion of quality control issues with Heljan.

• RMweb Premium

Hattons/Heljan Class 14. Received ex pre-order only to find one part of body loose in package and one part missing. Hattons responded quickly and helpful with advice on fitting loose part and replacement for missing part. Good service from Hattons but suggestion of quality control issues with Heljan.

This issue is not specific to Hattons/Heljan. 

It seems to be par for the course for models these days that parts that are supposed to be fixed are loose in the box (or missing)

Put them on with too little adhesive, they fall off.

But - put them on with too much glue - they don't fall off, but have blobs of adhesive or glue marks. 

Don't put them on and leave them to the customers to apply - then complaints about unfitted parts abound.

The manufacturers/commisioners are damned if they do or damned if they don't.

Cheers,

Mick