HEAVY METAL Lackenthorpe steel works in N. YARD & DEPOT.

Mr Pix

Hi all

Had a go at  weathering down the Walthers works buildings and added a bit of pipe work along with some doors. Placed some track outside just to see if it looks ok along with the gantry crane.

Placed one of the new Farish 20s along with a couple waggons that will be used for loading the finished product out from the works.

Thanks for looking.

Jez

post-4726-0-67180800-1359300702_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-02529300-1359300722_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-45429200-1359300767_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-19075200-1359300834_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Hi all

Well to my eye that weathering looks great. Only just come across this thread and will be following with interest. It is great to see another modern image N gauge layout appearing on here.

Best wishes

Simon

Thanks Simon

Have been working on a Walthers kit bridge ,its ment for two tracks but may use it as a road bridge at an angle into the works across the three lines below. Not sure if it looks a bit over the top for access to a steel works?......but it will hide the area behind.

Thanks for looking

Jez

post-4726-0-18043000-1359565486_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Thanks for the kind  comments.

Have been working on the raised main line that will along the centre of the layout, with the area in the forground will be where the yard will go.

After more rolling stock  testing had to relay the three incline lines that come up from the fiddle yard, problems with some locos de-railing and single farish class 20 will only pull 10 mgrs but will run them in pairs when i get another (and funds allow ££££).

Here are some shots of progress with a coal sectors 37 and 56 on some MGRs.

Thanks for looking.

Jez

post-4726-0-03965700-1360521551_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-66635400-1360521607_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-22123600-1360521700_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-85739300-1360521747_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

Thanks to those for the great comments and likes.

A bit track laid in the yard area, will have four through sidings cable stabling 20 MGRs + loco and one shorter single ended siding, along with a through by-pass road that will pass under the main line and link to the works and a freight only single track line.

Could have squeezed in more sidings but would have lookded cramped and restristed length of trains I would like to run. I also wanted to be able to run trains off the main line by-passing the yard into the works or locos to the depot.

Some photos of the yard area with some of the Farish BAAs i got at Modelrail Scotland last weekend, and some MGRs with a Dapol HST on the raised main line passing by.

Jez.

post-4726-0-67124900-1362324126_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-61837400-1362324147_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-07904400-1362324169_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-55808900-1362324251_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Hi Just found this topic - looks like its going to be really good - I remember catching glimpses of the heavy freight by the road on the way in to Middlesborough when I was visiting as a lad - always very exotic compared to what went through Newark in the 90s, can't wait to see it develop :D

Is the yard you've laid part of the fiddle yard or is that elsewhere? I love the idea of a yard with a raised mainline going passed.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Just found this topic - looks like its going to be really good - I remember catching glimpses of the heavy freight by the road on the way in to Middlesborough when I was visiting as a lad - always very exotic compared to what went through Newark in the 90s, can't wait to see it develop :D

Is the yard you've laid part of the fiddle yard or is that elsewhere? I love the idea of a yard with a raised mainline going passed.

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon

The fiddle yard is elsewhere it will be to the rear of the layout and hidden below the Steel works accssed by inclines via the main line and a freight only single track that will run to the rear below the main line with access to the steel works complex.

Jez

Edited by Mr Pix
  • Like 1

I just noticed the sky (back scene): Is it airbrushed / aerosol spray ?

Hi

It is aerosol spray cans....grey,white car prima they are the cheap none branded at £1.99 a can at the local service station.

I wear a mask because they give off some terrible fumes especially in the confines of a shed. Need a bit more practice but its a cheap way to cover a large area (16x3 feet). 

Jez

Edited by Mr Pix

Hi Mr Pix

What a fantastic layout really gives the feel of a large steelworks. The bridge and inclines are good recently I have been researching Ravenscraig steelworks not for modelling purposes but it had a bridge to gain access to it as well as railways on steep inclines some of the site was on different levels to others! There are DVDs called Railfreight today from late 80's early 90's that feature all the BR regions and all the big steelworks are featured.

Hope this helps you have a great layout there hope to see some class 37's on iron ore workings!

Kind regards

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments Dave

Got those DVDs they are a very good reference. There is an article in Rail Express No.174 Nov 2010 on Ravenscraig just before closure with some great photos by Robert Brown who worked at the works.

Waiting for Farish to bring out the 37 5s will run them in pairs when i get some tipplers.

Jez

Hi Mr Pix

What a fantastic layout really gives the feel of a large steelworks. The bridge and inclines are good recently I have been researching Ravenscraig steelworks not for modelling purposes but it had a bridge to gain access to it as well as railways on steep inclines some of the site was on different levels to others! There are DVDs called Railfreight today from late 80's early 90's that feature all the BR regions and all the big steelworks are featured.

Hope this helps you have a great layout there hope to see some class 37's on iron ore workings!

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Jez, this is a great insperation as I am just starting to cut wood for my Blue Period, Scottish N Gauge project Glenfinick, a roundy roundy jobbiee, so I will be PINCHING some ideas :nono: , hahahehe

Good luck and PLEASE keep the pics coming.

Andy :sungum:

• Like 1

Had a look at this at the start and glad I popped back. Really looking good and nice to see another modeller doing N. Would certainly like that Hst on Millers Dale! haha.

Cav

• Like 2