Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

Hi Ray, as much as I like boats like that I would like to see a long shot, I don't know if its the primer paint but it seems to be taking up all the Quay.

I often think a collection of small fishing / pleasure boats will give the feel but without blocking out the Quay.

I may be totally wrong so as I say a distant overall shot will show it off better, or maybe once the boat is painted it will shrink it to the eye.

Andy :sungum:

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your concerns, but don't worry, it only takes up a third of the quay at most. It's in the paint shop (kitchen) at present but I'll do some more longer view shots tomorrow.

Ray.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your concerns, but don't worry, it only takes up a third of the quay at most. It's in the paint shop (kitchen) at present but I'll do some more longer view shots tomorrow.

Ray

Yes Ray from the angle it looked like it was taking up all the Quayside, Looking forward to more pics.

Has she been named yet?

The Lady Polly?

Lady P :O

?

To tired and just having some whiskey in my coffee.

Back tomorrow

The latest RM has an article on scratchbuilding a smaller trawler. NE coast variety but maybe we can find some plans for a Cornish version. I have downloaded (I get the electronic version of RM) the pages describing the build and filed them for later,

I built my Padstow goods shed from the plans in the Illustrated History of the North Cornwall Railway. I added the canopy as I am modelling July 1946-January 1948. See my Padstow thread for the result.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28665-end-of-the-line-padstow/

Edited by autocoach

Lady P :O

?

Pink Rolls Royce comes to mind.

The latest RM has an article on scratchbuilding a smaller trawler. NE coast variety but maybe we can find some plans for a Cornish version. I have downloaded (I get the electronic version of RM) the pages describing the build and filed them for later,

I built my Padstow goods shed from the plans in the Illustrated History of the North Cornwall Railway. I added the canopy as I am modelling July 1946-January 1948. See my Padstow thread for the result.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28665-end-of-the-line-padstow/

Hi Ken,

I did see the article in RM which sort of prompted me to start on the trawler kit. I will probably have a go at scratch building a small coaster for transporting the clay once I've found a suitable drawing to work from.

The shed is built to the same plan as you mentioned but has been cut back diagonally front to back to make it semi low relief as there wasn't room to get a full depth building in the space. The current era is late 50's and we're not sure when it lost the canopy, pictures from 1963 show it without.

Been following your thread but no updates recently, anything new on the horizon?

BTW thanks for the picture of your BWT sound install. I took the plunge and after a bit of work managed to get a decent sized speaker in the coal bunker, I'm really pleased with the result. (See post #421,427 ).

Painting of the trawler continues today. More picture later.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 3

Hi Andy.

Here's another shot of the Trawler, progress has included glazing the wheelhouse, adding the roof, stern mast, gantry and bit of painting.

post-11105-0-41270500-1393176212.jpg

There's a bit more quay in this shot and still more room in front to get another similar sized boat.

Still lots to do.

Ray

Edited by tender
  • Like 11

Hi Andy.

Here's another shot of the Trawler, progress has included glazing the wheelhouse, adding the roof, stern mast, gantry and bit of painting.

attachicon.gifTrawler2.jpg

There's a bit more quay in this shot and still more room in front to get another similar sized boat.

Still lots to do.

Ray

That's much better Ray, I hadn't realised it was such a long Quayside, that looks so much better.

Nice painting as well mate. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

The goods shed has now gained its roofing slates and chimney.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The slating used the same method as the terrace houses and quayside building but the spacing has been increased a bit to add a bit of variety.

Polly is not happy with the way the ridge runs into the backscene and will be playing around with bits of painted paper on the backscene to see if she can create the illusion of a full depth building.

The ridge tiles are still to come as is a canopy over the to be attached doors.

The original drawings have a full canopy straddling the track with supporting legs on the other side, but as this would mean them sitting on the bay platform I will probably opt for a half canopy instead.

When finished it will be bedded into the ground.

Ray.

Ray,

Not sure what it is but North Cornwall goods sheds always seem to need a corner trimming off to fit. Here's ours from Treneglos:

post-6675-0-60401300-1393186725_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Ray,

Not sure what it is but North Cornwall goods sheds always seem to need a corner trimming off to fit. Here's ours from Treneglos:

attachicon.gifIMG_0956.JPG

Hi Chris.

Thanks for the reminder of Treneglos. This layout is one that has eluded us since our interest started in Model railways and we're hoping to get down to the SW this year to coincide with the Barnstaple exhibition. Is Treneglos still making an appearance? I noticed it's been crossed off Ally Pally and Butterly from your exhibition list.

Ray.

• Like 1

Ray. I do like your trawler. Is it a kit and to what scale, is it 1-76? Where did you get it.

Hi Alan - yes its a 1/76 scale kit which we bought about a year ago from Langley Models. Its a combination of resin cast parts, plastic rod for the spars and brass etch detailing. The instructions are more or less none existent but there is an exploded diagram.

Here's another view with the foremast added.

post-11105-0-83735900-1393197372.jpg

Still have the derrick, rigging and more detailing to add plus more painting.

Ray.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris.

Thanks for the reminder of Treneglos. This layout is one that has eluded us since our interest started in Model railways and we're hoping to get down to the SW this year to coincide with the Barnstaple exhibition. Is Treneglos still making an appearance? I noticed it's been crossed off Ally Pally and Butterly from your exhibition list.

Ray.

Yes, we're heading down to Barnstaple this summer so make sure to say hello. Treneglos has been in store for well over a year now whilst we have all progressed other projects including Black Country Blues and my own 7mm Pencarrow Bridge. There's still life in the old girl but, withany show commitments with other layouts, Treneglos appearances will be occasional.

Smashing work with the trawler.

• Like 2

Hi Ray

Liking the boat mate.... looking really good, will it be ready and completed for your show...

Jamie

Hi Jamie, we'll be taking to it Rainhill this weekend but it won't be quite finished as I am still waiting for the rigging to arrive in the post

Hi Ray, the boat looks better with every shot, is Polly doing the painting?

And :sungum:

No, for a change I'm having a go myself, she's busy converting the launderette into a cafe. Tables, chairs, people and background installed, just needs the sign above the doorway changing. Will post some more pics tomorrow.

Ray.

• Like 2

As promised, a few more photos.

The cafe interior with tables, tablecloths, chairs people and waitress

post-11105-0-79965800-1393532349.jpg

before the the converted launderette building was place over the top.

post-11105-0-61258600-1393532357.jpg

Them widows look as though they could do with a clean, but never fear, Polly has a window cleaner complete with ladder, bucket and sponge to add before the nights out.

The signalbox now has a name, but lever frame interior still needs adding and the base of the signal needs painting black before being stuck down.

post-11105-0-40539800-1393532365.jpg

Ray.

• Like 9

Ooh, and I nearly forgot to paint the spectacles on the signal arm.

.post-11105-0-81033500-1393538036_thumb.jpg

Here it is after a coat of ' glue & glaze', a lot easier than trying to cut out coloured plastic glazing to fit.

This will dry clear (I hope) and then given a wash of the appropriate colour.

Ray

• Like 5