Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

The most recent GWRJ (89) had an article by Mike Christensen on this subject, with a very good explanation

The "interesting" bit is to equalise the 'pushes' and the 'pulls' to overcome the effects of thermal expansion. Didn't always work due to local heating conditions on frosty mornings, though.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The most recent GWRJ (89) had an article by Mike Christensen on this subject, with a very good explanation

The "interesting" bit is to equalise the 'pushes' and the 'pulls' to overcome the effects of thermal expansion. Didn't always work due to local heating conditions on frosty mornings, though.

It ought to if the compensator cranks are set at the correct angle when they are rodded up as the run is put together.   There is a useful little table for doing that in a book I have.  Plus of course the crank driving the stretcher bar is an adjustable one which allows any slight differences to be dealt with when the run is being tested after fitting up (mind you sometimes it can take a while to get the adjustment right, especially with FPLs with one lever working more than one bolt).

Last bit of rodding up to the crossover now complete.

post-11105-0-66104900-1395504736_thumb.jpg

That finishes off all the point rodding, just a few hand levers to add down at the quayside and the remaining ground signals add.

Now do I make a proper job of it and add the wheels for the signalling?

We'll see.

Ray.

• Like 3

An unusual visitor to Camel Quay arrived today (yesterday), the new Heljan Class 33 in BR green.

post-11105-0-10889300-1395565845_thumb.jpg

I don't think any of these crossed the Tamar into Cornwall until the 70's long after the demise of steam. This ones destined for another Southern layout.

Ray.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Ray,

The point rodding looks great and well worth the work.

Just a thought on the second compensator on the cross-over, if I'm reading this correctly and using one lever to switch the cross-over, then the two sets of point blades will need to move in opposite directions, hence the compensator on the second point ....

... the two sets of point blades will need to move in opposite directions, hence the compensator on the second point ....

No, the compensator is there to equalise the length of pull and push sections. The direction of movement at the blades is set by the crank arrangement.

Nick

ps. the compensation effect (converting pull to push and vice versa) can also be achieved by a crank when the direction changes through ninety degrees.

Edited by buffalo

Morning Ray,  The crompton looks at home, love the livery are you going to bring the layout into the late 60s with some more green diesels ??

George

Hi George,

I can't say that diesels do it for me, I much prefer the steam era, but you never know.

Ray.

Ray,

The point rodding looks great and well worth the work.

Just a thought on the second compensator on the cross-over, if I'm reading this correctly and using one lever to switch the cross-over, then the two sets of point blades will need to move in opposite directions, hence the compensator on the second point ....

No, the compensator is there to equalise the length of pull and push sections. The direction of movement at the blades is set by the crank arrangement.

Nick

ps. the compensation effect (converting pull to push and vice versa) can also be achieved by a crank when the direction changes through ninety degrees.

Well I guess there's more than one way to crack a walnut. I've just checked through the rodding crank and compensator arrangements and 'if' it were a 'working' model it should have the desired affect. Anyway, I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out and now I can get on with something else. A new station building perhaps?

Ray.

• Like 2

Another Southern layout Ray? :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

That'll be the out and back terminus with roundy through station, reversing loop and storage sidings. Oh, almost forgot the third rail - well you have to have something to play with in between all the modelling. Hahaha

Edited by tender

You kept that one quiet! BTW How about Seaton?

That was my early retirement project, which doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon now (the early retirement that is). So it's on the back burner for a bit while we get all the outstanding jobs finished on Camel Quay now that exhibition invites are starting to come in.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 2

GOOD! Where are you out next with it?

Here's the confirmed list to date.

Colwyn MRE July 26/27

Warrington October 18/19

Merseyside MRS November 1/2

Stafford January 31/February 1 (2015)

Liverpool April 23/24 (2016)

Ray.

• Like 3

I came across this image today after a google search on compensators. I'm not sure of its origin or copyright so will remove it if anybody complains.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It shows a compensator (A) on the long run from the signal box and the cranks to the points arranged so that one pushes and the other pulls (obvious when you think about it), but more interestingly another compensator between the points.

This is an area of complaint with the Wills kit as it only provides two compensators per pack. Fortunately I have one left to model this arrangement. Hope to finish off rodding tonight.

Ray.

Unfortunately my length of 4mm real estate is well insufficient for any meaningful S&T hardware, so I have to look for detail that I can omit. But if I were able to include point rodding then this thread would give me chapter and verse. Other than that, all of the other operational and scenic work is very satisfying to this reader.

PB

Having made a rod for my back with the point rodding I thought I'd see if I could drive myself around the bend by adding some wheels for the signals.

post-11105-0-57571000-1395687030_thumb.jpg

This is one of the Brassmasters etches modified to look a bit more like that of the pictures I have for the area with a bolt/pin on top of the wheel shaft rather than a strapping as supplied. Still needs painting and what about the wire, would you see it in 4mm scale?

Comments please.

Ray.

• Like 4

Ray, well you did ask for comments.  Signal wheels yes, signal wire NO. I tried running fuse wire for signal wire in 7mm and it was just about acceptable. But in 4mm you will never see it if to scale.  Just keep to the wheels and maybe if you feel like it, a line of pulley stakes from the box. Square section timber, about 4 x 4" in old days. Often the wheels would be mounted on a timber base, usually 12 x 6" cut to suit the number of wheels or a pair of concrete bases for a single wheel. They would be bringing the wheel and wire above ballast level to prevent clogging. Wheels were often red oxide when new but soon got to be black from constant oiling.

Look forward to seeing it when you bring it to Llandudno.

Merf.

• Like 1

But don't forget to arrange them so that the wire runs go through detectors at points where required ;)

Just as well I haven't got as far as sticking them down, having read this I will have to look this up, what's a detector?

Ray.