Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

Ray, the first I have seen in use on a layout so far. Looks very good to me, and I have put in and taken out miles of the real thing. On the subject of the compensators, you would not need any if where you go under the track is half way between the points and the box. You simply reverse the pull to push with the cranks at that place.

Keep up the good work. Merf.

Merf (and others), thanks for your kind comments. It's taken a lot longer than I had first thought to get this far and was about to try an alternative but considering the feedback I'll persevere with it. Hopefully by the end of the week it will all be done and I can move onto something else.

The pull to push reversal at the cranks has sunk in now, thankfully.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 1

Hello ray,  CQ will never be finished as there is always something you'll need to add, l think the signal and point rodding has given the layout much more interest even the ground signals had rodding, l think with my layout l will put down some little square block of plasticard before l ballast, when l find out were they will go that is, keep the pictures coming mate, as l am learning from your work ....

George

• Like 1

Hi Andy, George.

Many thanks for your comments (and others) it's certainly giving me some encouragement to carry on and get the rodding finished.

Now I sort of know what I'm doing it's going together a bit quicker.

post-11105-0-14358900-1395168019_thumb.jpg

As regards fitting before you ballast, well that's what the instructions suggest, but it depends on the way you ballast in the first place. For CQ I covered the cork base with PVA lay the track and poured on the ballast all in one go, hoovering up the surplus after the glue dries. With no track / point work in place it might be difficult to work out where to put the rodding first, particularly where it crosses the track.

If your the sort that lays the track, pushes grains of ballast around and then dribbles dilute PVA over everything then I guess it would make sense to do the rodding before ballasting.

I found it quite easy to grind out the ballast with a Dremel around where the stools would go, stick the rodding down and touch up after. But I didn't have the choice, the rodding didn't come out until after the track was down.

Ray.

Edit. Don't forget where the rods go under the track you'll need to cut away the webs joining the sleepers. If you want more then two rods you'll also need to space out the sleepers if using Peco track.

Edited by tender
  • Like 4

I wasn't, I was meaning on the Beattie well tank. There did not appear to be a water filler.

Sorry Peter, half asleep.  :lazy:

Your correct, I've just been browsing pictures of the real thing (BWT 30587) and it would appear that the model is missing the water filler, unless they have assumed it would be covered with coal when the bunker is full  :O

I've not got around to detailing and weathering the BTW's yet so it's something I'll have to look into.

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Peter, half asleep:lazy:

Your correct, I've just been browsing pictures of the real thing (BWT 30587) and it would appear that the model is missing the water filler, unless they have assumed it would be covered with coal when the bunker is full  :O

I've not got around to detailing and weathering the BTW's yet so it's something I'll have to look into.

Ray.

So am I.  I was, graciously, asked to do a wee bit of painting last night after last night's rodding session was over - Ray's scratchbuilt brick and plank walkway over the rodding below the signal box.  It was a bit late when I was asked.  Very late when I finished - a few wet washes (and clean-ups!) + drying time + dry brushing + touching up (not that you'd notice all that on the finished article, of course).  I was, eventually, satisfied. It didn't look too bad this morning in daylight - the camera will tell.  

I've been quiet on here, lately, because, although there is plenty for me to do on CQ, we're finding that it makes more sense to wait until the lineside is done - bits of green stuff, for example, are already getting disturbed while these other jobs are on-going.  I keep getting apologies because clumps of 'heather' look about to go awol - the problem of having raised ground at the front of the layout.  It doesn't help photography either - you get a really good position to take a pic of the stock but then can't get the camera down low or close enough.  One of those medical/scientific down-a-tube cameras sounds a good idea. :mosking:

Polly

Edited by southern42

Hi Polly good to hear that Ray's keeping yo on your toes.

Re the point rodding Ray, I have abandoned mine, I needed to 5 rods between the platform walling and the sleepers as the third rail will go the other side away from the Platform edge.

More pics from you guys soon I hope.

Bodge :sungum:

• Like 1

Ray

I was trying to decide whether to give your point rodding and information either Like, Craftsmanship or Informative as it deserved all three. :sungum:  :locomotive:  :sungum:  :locomotive:

Stunning work and some very useful information for those of us who are contemplating doing it at a later date.

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Peter, half asleep.  :lazy:

Ray.

Ray,

If you do will you see fish swimming around in the tank?  (Sorry.)

I also like your point rodding and gives me thoughts for my layout.

Rodding to the double slip now complete. Just a bit of touching up when the glues dried and a spot of weathering.

post-11105-0-22016400-1395275086_thumb.jpg

The single straight run under the platform edge to the crossover at the end to do now. Will probably add a compensator to this run. This run crosses a board join so will have to think about how to protect the ends.

Ray.

• Like 10

When I added the cosmetic trap point I painted the rail with some 'rust' weathering. At the same time I run the rust down the side of the rail of the siding to just short of the BTW loco. You can just about make it out in the above photo (post 593). I think it looks ok but I'm colour blind (as Polly keeps reminding me). At least it adds a bit of colour to the uniformity of the sleepers but is it too stand offish?

As this is a painting job I could give this one to Polly, should keep her quite for a few nights  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no: ouch.

Ray.

Edited by tender

When I added the cosmetic trap point I painted the rail with some 'rust' weathering. At the same time I run the rust down the side of the rail of the siding to just short of the BTW loco. You can just about make it out in the above photo (post 593). I think it looks ok but I'm colour blind (as Polly keeps reminding me). At least it adds a bit of colour to the uniformity of the sleepers but is it too stand offish?

As this is a painting job I could give this one to Polly, should keep her quite for a few nights  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no: ouch.

Ray.

I think that track colour looks fine mate.

You cant give her (Polly that is) jobs like that, she needs to be making your tea and then regular cups of coffee all evening, hhahaha

Is she looking , me ouch toooooooooooooooo

Bodge Duck it and Sons :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

Penultimate bit of rodding done tonight.

post-11105-0-15194000-1395350742_thumb.jpg

The single run down towards the crossover at the end of the platform. You can just about make out the compensator on the right. I did find some pictures where this was the other way around being recessed into the brickwork of the platform. It was a bit late for me as the platform is well and truly fixed down.

Need to rearrange the furniture now so I can get the end board up and finish off tomorrow.

Ray.

PS the colours look a bit strange as the platform edge was in the shade and I was holding a LED touch to try and throw some light on the subject.

• Like 5

I do really like the result so that's another thing to add to the layout list .

Don

Thanks Don,

Earlier the discussion touched on round rodding. Well, it can be done

post-11105-0-64428600-1395356414_thumb.jpg

This is 0.75mm dia rod, each stool was cut from the square rod, drilled out 0.5mm on the mill and then hand drilled with a 0.8mm drill. The 0.5mm drill clogs with molten plastic so needs removing and cleaning each time so, with a hundred odd stools to cut and drill out I'm not about to rip it and start again. Now if Wills could be persuaded to make just stools with 0.8 mm holes in then...................

Edited by tender
  • Like 2

I came across this image today after a google search on compensators. I'm not sure of its origin or copyright so will remove it if anybody complains.

post-11105-0-35192400-1395428063.jpg

It shows a compensator (A) on the long run from the signal box and the cranks to the points arranged so that one pushes and the other pulls (obvious when you think about it), but more interestingly another compensator between the points.

This is an area of complaint with the Wills kit as it only provides two compensators per pack. Fortunately I have one left to model this arrangement. Hope to finish off rodding tonight.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 2