Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Some great modelling been going on here. Any one done anything with the class 47 model?

I never got hold of the 47....

But I did get a LIMA green body, which I fitted to a LIMA Blue 47 (Body sold on...).

Will be D1677 "THOR" eventually!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

post-23587-0-67153600-1502994440_thumb.jpeg This conversion rely son GBL source material so it seems appropriate to share here as well as my own thread. post-23587-0-73445200-1502994551_thumb.jpegi saw this photo of a belpaire boiler 2f awaiting its fate at my modelled location. Class 2f models were limited to nucast ( ks) round boiler...Alan Gibson....both out of production...and a very expensive OO

Works RTR....if still produced. I came upon the photo whilst researching my chosen location. It is on the Warwickshire Railways website. This loco and a 2p 40396 were scrapped in the station goods yard. I saw this as a very young child. On seeing this veteran I had to model it...how though.sitting on my extensive stock shelf were two GBL models....still untouched...the jinty...and compound.

With razor saw and dremel I set work on the jinty...the boiler is a marker pen top the correct diameter...the deeley side cab is off the compound....it was with a heavy heart when I ate led these models. They were as based on the Bachmann originals some of the best in the GBL range. I will update in due course..it will have comet chassis...Mitsumi motor high level gearbox...

• Like 10

Great photo of the 2F. I don't think I've seen that photo before, certainly not in colour.

Loving all these conversions/detailing/motorising projects. Keep them coming. 

I haven't done anything with any of mine yet. Although I keep looking at the Jinty, even got the Comet chassis and Gibson wheels for it.

Jason

• Like 1

I think what this thread has proved, is that there are still a lot of real modellers who don't just want to buy new very detailed models, but are happy to moddift basic models as used to be more common a few years ago, and is a very important part of the hobby.

I did cllect the series, but am now not modelling much OO, so am planning to sell off the collection.I did motorise the SECR loco, and sold it. I started taking a couple apart, but am no longer interested in continuing with them.

I think what this thread has proved, is that there are still a lot of real modellers who don't just want to buy new very detailed models, but are happy to modify basic models as used to be more common a few years ago, and is a very important part of the hobby....

I like hybrids. They are another way of getting to your destination.

• Like 1

Amazed thee has not been at least one article in magazines using these models. Maybe some editors are thinking everyone either uses r2r(manufacturers and retailers selling r2r  do provide a good chunk of advertising revenue), or builds from kits.

Remember when there would often be an article on converting that basic Hornby(Triang) model to something otherwise not available. It is just a pity, the part series did produce new designs(as is the norm in France and Germany).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Amazed thee has not been at least one article in magazines using these models. Maybe some editors are thinking everyone either uses r2r(manufacturers and retailers selling r2r  do provide a good chunk of advertising revenue), or builds from kits.

Remember when there would often be an article on converting that basic Hornby(Triang) model to something otherwise not available. It is just a pity, the part series did produce new designs(as is the norm in France and Germany).

I was approached by a magazine about doing an article on the LB&SCR B1 I made from the GBL T9 but at the time I was to busy to finish the model and write an article. I would have expected something using these to have appeared in a magazine by now though.

Gary

Thank you for the kind comments concerning the 2F. It was the sort of article converting or improving the sixties seventies eighties vintage R.T.R that I loved in the modeller and the like. It seems not to be as common in todays magazines. I believe we discussed this aspect some time ago on this thread. The Jinty has had the front of the smoke box shortened. The tank sides removed. It revealed the centre splashers. sadly they are placed a little too much inside the body so will have to be removed and replaced with plastic ones yet to be created. the firebox sides will be restored with black plasticard. Thin Tamiya black lining tape will be used for boiler bands. I was going to attempt the Deeley upper cab sides from brass, soldering thin wire to create the edge. I realised however with careful cutting the compound cab uppers could be transplanted.....giving both the extra width required as well as the nice curve into the roof. The roof vent needs moving forward.  The tender is a whitemetal one belonging to my Ks round boiler 2F. I have been lucky enough to secure a Bachmann Deeley tender upper from the auction site. I will create the chassis. If I had not been able to buy this, I had considered the difficulties in creating the upper flare of the tender top. it would most likely have been brass, not have too much success with creating curves in plastic...any how not now reqd

The chassis will be a comet jinty....the wheels possibly costing more than the rest of the conversion. The brass dome from my local model shop, however both Alan Gibson and 247 developments appear to have suitable ones listed. Will update the post in due course again thanks for the interest.

• Like 3

Rather than cut away the splashers and completely replace them could you not bring them "out" by just facing them with plasticard?

one of the alternatives I am considering is buying the brassmasters 3f replacement splashers which they produce for the Bachmann model. They are relatively cheap...and have the beading etched already.The jinty splashers as they are are flush . I have yet to research whether 58186 was one of the 5 3 inch wheeled type or of the smaller variety. I'm just lazy really my reference collection would soon confirm my suspicion that t is one of the bigger wheeled variety and the Bachmann splashers will then be suitable best wishes Brian
  • Like 1

Dear all it was my good friend Rowanj who suggested I show my remodelling of the jinty here. I didn't appreciate that this thread was still an active forum. I'm pleased to say I have exchanged ideas with a number of you on other forums since the demise of the GBL range. It was this thread that got me into posting my work. It is a real pleasure to continue conversing with both those who I know from other forums...threads, but also people whom I have only known on this one. I again thank you all for the interest...I will if I maypost-23587-0-17658600-1503091393_thumb.jpegpost-23587-0-09191500-1503091428.jpegpost-23587-0-49426800-1503091454.jpeg attach three other prototype photos..they show class 2 p 40396. It was dumped with 58186 in the stowage yards at Water Orton my childhood village and modelled location. That is where the colour photos were taken in 1962. They were then shunted across the main NE/SW main lines to the opposite side of the station and into the goods yard. The latter sad photos show the result.i have stated it was this scrapping that I and a number of my friends witnessed as children

• Like 6

Thanks Jason...just checked my winter 1956/ 57 combine bought earlier this year to celebrate my entering the world....yes a 4 ft 11 inch wheel.....fortunately have some in spares....comet jinty chassis to hand...Mitsumi motor....game on!

In respect of splashers will create from plastic....goodness me spending a fiver unecessarily...whatever was I thinking considering buying the ready bought alternative.....also as they are for the 5 3 class 3....

Amazed there has not been at least one article in magazines using these models... Remember when there would often be an article on converting that basic Hornby(Triang) model to something otherwise not available...

I was approached by a magazine about doing an article on the LB&SCR B1 I made from the GBL T9 but at the time I was to busy to finish the model and write an article. I would have expected something using these to have appeared in a magazine by now though...

I can see two immediate difficulties, and significant competition.

There has to be someone with the time available to document and illustrate the process and end result. It is more of a minority sport nowadays, so the pool of potential contributors is probably much smaller; so fewer chances of finding someone in a position to provide suitable material, especially as...

Production values have significantly moved on from perhaps a hand drawn diagram showing 'where I made the cuts', and a couple of grainy b/w photos of the completed conversion*; all rather more demanding of the potential contributor's input. (*I have in mind here a real classic of the genre, bashing a Triang Princess into a Jubilee in RM.)

And then the competition, which is websites. Perhaps this is the more appropriate medium to demonstrate such conversions? It is immediate, and the contributor is free to present the process exactly as they like. My own view: I don't feel under-informed about such potential 'bashing projects' and have not bought a magazine in over a decade. It's all here...

... It is just a pity, the part series did not produce new designs (as is the norm in France and Germany).

Then again, the producers had not run out of available RTR subjects to scan before pulling the plug. Should something in this format ever be repeated - and they have 'come around again' for other subject matter and in other markets so this is not improbable -  the producers would have available a yet larger selection of RTR subjects: both completely new introductions, and superior quality 're-dos'.  Just to start with, the  'format setting' 4-2-2 Stirling single and 4-4-2 wide firebox Ivatt atlantic; and there's a whole lot more!

Amazed there has not been at least one article in magazines using these models. Maybe some editors are thinking everyone either uses r2r(manufacturers and retailers selling r2r  do provide a good chunk of advertising revenue)

Has there been an official line from any manufacturer about their design work being "ripped off" in this way? It's not like GBL were providing large sums of advertising revenue, unlike others as you've acknowledged...

Technically it was all legal and above board.

You weren't buying the models as equivalents to the RTR models. You were buying a magazine. The model was a free gift which was significantly different from the Bachby and Hormann model it was based on. No motor or mechanism for a start. If it was motorised or capable of easily being motorised then the lawyers would have been jumping on them from the start.

Otherwise it's just a desk or shelf ornament of no real value. The sort of thing you can pick up in a souvenir shop.

Jason

Always aware when posting on any thread that I am not " revisiting" topics done to death previously.

I am then forever the hypocrite when I add it always amazed me the modelling establishment with notable exceptions did not receive this series for the goldmine it was.

In best case and probably most contentious one...a direct replica of a current state of the art body

. In second case a source of spares not available from the manufacturers, and ironically given these same companies had ...I hope unintentionally ..destroyed the kit and therefore spare part sector

The last case...for now a series of inexpensive source models that bodgers such as I could attack with razor saw and dremel..and not have the same financial risk ....as say with a £ 200 hattons/ Heljan Garratt. The last us another story and the attack out of necessity to have an efficient model rather than one from an unlikely or cheap source. The real point ( forgive the angst towards that model) it allows us to develop our modelling skills in the same way cheap airfix kits did in our formative years.

Funnily enough this series got my older brother back into model railways when he came across one of the earlier models in a supermarket. He was always more of a military modeller. But he saw the Coronation and bought it. Then he was in his loft getting out all his model railway stuff which hadn't seen the light of day since the early 1980s. Now he's planning a layout for the grandkids

Jason

• Like 5

Good morning Steve, one further aspect concerning the splashers, on the jinty the middle as stated is inset. I was replacing the missing firebox sides yesterday and realised unless moved the box side won't go behind the current splashers unless this is moved forward. I will photo later best wishes Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Further work on 2f sitting on the GBL jinty chassis....the Bachmann tender top on a Hornby chassis...still to add handrails...boiler and firebox reinstated as well as central splashers. Still to build the comet jinty chassis.....currently in primerpost-23587-0-67773900-1503924719_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

Brian - that looks great - a really interesting conversion, and given that it is unlikely ever to see the light of day as RTR, it would be a shame not to go the whole hog and get it running on Water Orton.

John