Great British Locomotives

EddieB

G'day,Cypherman (and hello again Sarah),

The arrangement for the outside cranks for the City class is pretty standard for most of my double framed locos, inspired originally by several K's kits. Details of the conversion are all here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96216-motorise-gbl-city-of-truro/

As for the M7, I only ever had a bare chassis, bought "just in case" as a bring-and-buy stall years ago at one of many model railway shows I attended. (I have long adopted a policy of acquiring any and all potentially useful bits and pieces at such events. In some cases, they slept in their bin for over 30 years until they were needed.)

As Sarah has explained, there have been many different chassis for the Britannia. I used the third (ie 1964) version, as described in detail here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108081-motorisation-of-gbl-britannia/

Good luck with your modelling.

Regards,

Rob

• Like 1

G'day,Cypherman (and hello again Sarah),

The arrangement for the outside cranks for the City class is pretty standard for most of my double framed locos, inspired originally by several K's kits. Details of the conversion are all here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96216-motorise-gbl-city-of-truro/

Rob

As I said, Rob/RosiesBoss was the source and inspiration of my City/M7 effort. other than a failed attempt at a K's Bulldog back in the dark ages, I've never attempted an outside crank loco. Rob can explain better than I how he does his cranks, but this illustrates my method.

I used Romford extended axles and Markits de-luxe cranks. All of these are ready tapped - the cranks screw onto the axle and the coupling rods screw with supplied bolts onto the crank. The main issue is to get the quartering right, and then to secure the cranks so they don't shift on the axle. I tries superglue, having failed to use nuts, but this too failed so I resorted to soldering them on. They have been cleaned up since I took the photo and, once painted, should look ok. The main issue with that is that dismantling if I get a problem will be afar from easy, and any need to tighten the wheels will be tricky too.

That not-withstanding, I now have a sweetly running chassis. The tapped hole for the X04 motor is in the right place both to secure the bogie arm and provide the - return from the motor to the chassis/track.

The cranks slightly foul the loco frames, but I should be able to remove sufficient plastic to remedy that. Otherwise, the body seems to sit correctly, so once I've got it running, I'll tackle the cosmetic work - handrails, re-paint etc,

post-1659-0-53915900-1482836432_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-43025800-1482836446_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Rowanj,

I would have tried Hafix glue. Makes super glue look like dishwater. It sticks anything to everything and once stuck really needs a bomb to break the bond. i have used it on several projects with excellent results. Yes it is a tad expensive but has worked every time.

http://www.hafixs.co.uk/products/profglue/index.html

Ged

• Like 1

The supply of GBL models has not yet been exhausted.... ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Class-A3-No-4472-Flying-Scotsman-UK-1923-OO-1-76-L/131958032178?_trksid=p2060778.c100277.m3477&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140725134205%26meid%3Dc46f69500cd14a44bbd0bc231473fb10%26pid%3D100277%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D252692538053

Many other partwork models also available....

This maybe interesting?

The Partwork Publisher De Agostini produced a series called British Steam Railways around 2006 that includes side-on paintings of some locomotives.

Some are by the same artist as most GBL  paintings, Stuart Black. Some may even be the same artwork?

And now an important message...... ;)

GBL Magazines / Books Wanted.

Just the Magazines / books. No models required.

For our Reference Library...

I would like to obtain the other books that I don't have.

2, 4, 5,  11,  13,   17, 18,  21, 24,  27, 31, 36, 37, 41.

Edited by Sarahagain

Hi all,

To add to Sarah's statement, All the GBL loco's are available from the distributor/manufacturer.Who is Amercom. This is the web link to the loco's section. They are all at better than Ebay prices.You just need to scroll through to seperate the N guage from the 00 loco's.

http://www.amercom-hobby.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=63

All the best

• Like 1

An expensive way of doing it though. With the exchange rate you're getting charged about £20. Seen them on ebay for much less than that Buy It Now. 

In fact you can get some of the models they are copied from for less than that second hand.

The De Agostini British Steam Railways collection was the DVD and video partwork. Worth getting if you can find them. Usually half an hour of footage of the featured locomotive and then a selection of archive films.

I've been looking for any transport related partworks. Not a lot apart from the Delorean.

Unless you count R2-D2. https://www.deagostini.com/uk/collections/build-your-own-R2-D2/

Jason

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm just going to casually leave this picture here:

post-22762-0-56155000-1484433884_thumb.jpg

LBSCR B1 "Gladstone" Class number 183 Eastbourne, She doesn't look like a GBL T9 any more!

There is some coal in the tender with glue drying at the moment, pictures of that will be posted to my Oak Hill thread on Tuesday, I have also recently built an LBSCR E1 Class using the boiler from the GBL Jinty, and a freelance Manning Wardle style loco using a few small bits from various GBL locos (and a lot of brass!) both can be seen there and I can post here if people are interested.

Gary

• Like 2

Just seen the first advert for one. Build the Back To The Future Delorean.

Jason

Combine the two series and build the steam loco Doc Brown drove at the end of the trilogy!

I notice GBL is still being advertised in the latest series of Still Open All Hours!

• Like 1

I'm just going to casually leave this picture here:

attachicon.gifeastbourne.jpg

LBSCR B1 "Gladstone" Class number 183 Eastbourne, She doesn't look like a GBL T9 any more!

There is some coal in the tender with glue drying at the moment, pictures of that will be posted to my Oak Hill thread on Tuesday, I have also recently built an LBSCR E1 Class using the boiler from the GBL Jinty, and a freelance Manning Wardle style loco using a few small bits from various GBL locos (and a lot of brass!) both can be seen there and I can post here if people are interested.

Gary

Gary that's really starting to look the dogs b----cks.

Steve

My layout has a low relief shed so I needed a low relief loco. I have cut up the chassis from the GBL class 47 and used one bogie. I got a cheap Hornby /lima class 47 body and chopped it up as well. The loco was then glued onto the Bachmann locomotive jacks. I could have used the GBL body but it would have needed repainting it to match my era. I will add buffer beam detailing later and weather the loco.

post-5114-0-43952100-1484573267_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-90809100-1484573283_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-28940400-1484573305_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Did city of truro not make it up to scotland in the 1960s? Not sure what route she took to get there, so you could say she was enroute to or from Scotland

On my railway, I can say what I like, Darrel !! But seriously, the pleasure was simply to get a runner using , largely, parts in the spares box. I was never going to fork out for a Bachmann version, though it looks a lovely loco.

Nice to see your work on this thread.

My current project is converting a resin J6 to a J2. It's coming along.

Best wishes

John

• Like 1

City of Truro awaiting the coaching stock for an excursion to...???. Other than it's extended stays at the NER and NMR museums at York, I'm not aware of any ER/NER runs in BR days.

1960, in company with the Midland compound 1000 for a couple of spotter's specials organised by Ian Allan, KX-Doncaster and return. Truro failed and had to be taken off near Peterborough, 1000 completing the up run unassisted; CoT and was unrepairable for the second planned run, the last B12 61572 was used instead. (It is believed that 1000 was the last four coupled engine to work a train on the Southern half of the ECML in the BR period.) 

G'day all,

Some of you may be interested in the latest product from my workshop: a motorised GBL County.

attachicon.gifGBL County, 047, 21 Jan 2017.JPG

Construction details are posted here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119112-motorisation-of-gbl-county-4-6-0/

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob Thanks for all the posts. It's thanks to you that I tackled City of Truro.

I've just got a Hornby Railroad A3 chassis running, so my last Scotsman will become Sir Fred.k Banbury.. but not today.

John

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Cypherman,

I haven't touched the Gladstone since putting the transfers on, picture on previous page, I seem to have misplaced the Westinghouse pump, hand rails, and connecting rods. I have had to put loco projects to the back of the queue temporarily as I have had a magazine invite for the layout so I now have a deadline to get it looking complete-ish.

Gary

Anyone else think that the continuing stream of new introductions might in a couple more years make 'Round 2' a reasonable prospect?  There's some new 'big stuff' in the way of DoG, P2, Crosti 9F, Beyer Garratt; and the original condition Bulleid MN and final Ivatt versions of the Princess Coronation to come. Some pregroup express classes, one - maybe two - Atlantics, Stirling Single, Star.  Mixed traffic types like the Stanier Crab, S15, K1; likewise freight eight coupleds 42XX, 47xx, S&DJR 7F, O2, Q6, and then the smaller 0-6-0s, 700, J15. A plenitude of tank locos: 1F, class 5, coal tank, 64XX, 1361, 415, O2, H, USA, J50, N7. That's 30 available or announced from steam alone from memory, so there's likely several I forgot.

Several from that list that would be invaluable as carve up material, from my perspective.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I unfortunately think it rather unlikely that we'd get a new set of models copied in any forthcoming series from the same manufacturer/ publisher.

Whatever might happen, it would inevitably be 'loss led' by the perennial Mallard, Flying Scotsman, streamlined(?) Duchess and the like which would appeal to the essential Joe Public. Of course inclusion of those subjects in a range would not necessarily be a bad thing for modellers, plenty of craftsmanship and imagination has already been illustrated on this thread.

Having said that, I would welcome a new series with fresh subjects such as suggested by 34theletterbetweenBandD, apparently a copy of the Stirling Single from a constructed Kitmaster sample was on the cards for the first series until the plug was prematurely pulled on the first series.

Regards,

John

Edit for syntax

Edited by Brit70053