A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Whilst kicking my heels and with an end that was loose waiting for the Barny Express to take me home this afternoon from Hexekiter I wandered in Mr. Smyths Periodical Emporium and seed this cracking' book. 120 decent pages worth.

attachicon.gifIMG_4335.jpg

Usual copyrights etc 

I've only flicked through at the moment but there are some excellent photographs ( all in black and white ) showing the changing scene throughout the GWR from the mid 1930's until mid 1960's.

For all us GWR fellas I think its well worth the cost of £ 19.99 purely for the personal photographs taken by Mr.Buckley and if you're of a mind to weather models its a good reference point too.

Some nice early locomotives Dukedogs, Panniers, 517's, Dean Goods etc are illustrated.

Now where did I put that magnifying glass ?

G

My copy arrived today and after a quick flip through it I didn't spot one photo I'd seen before, well spotted Grahame it's a nice book. :good:

My copy arrived today and after a quick flip through it I didn't spot one photo I'd seen before, well spotted Grahame it's a nice book. :good:

Thanks mate, that's mainly why I bought it plus some excellent Dean Goods shots too !

G

Any shots on the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton perchance?

There may, or may not be, I neither confirm or deny any such shots or otherwise at this current time.

( In other words I ain't found any ).

However a quick trip to your local Smythes Emporium may reveal a copy and I defy you to resist its charm !

Mr.Happy 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

No Plastic Letters?

Wasn't that an album by Slater's of Matlock once upon a time. Seriously though PL would be in my top ten albums of all time.

Wasn't that an album by Slater's of Matlock once upon a time. Seriously though PL would be in my top ten albums of all time.

Still got my original vinyl and enjoy it !

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Any shots on the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton perchance?

Colin is there anything in particular you are looking for train make up etc etc, I've bought lots of books last & this year I think there are several photo's in a couple of them

I'll keep an eye out and scan them. :read:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much. Nothing in particular I'm just keen to collect all the reference material I can on the DNS. I've got all the published books specific to the line but it's harder to know which general albums to buy

• RMweb Premium

Does that saddle tanky have no shame, wandering around busy stations brazenly flashing its splashers to all and sundry. Does it not have the decency to do such things behind the privacy provided by dense shrubbery?

Di S Gusted

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Small, cute tank engines, what's not to like?

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned yet that the aura of the figurative-narrative line-space matrix brings within the realm of discourse the remarkable handling of ljght.

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned yet that the aura of the figurative-narrative line-space matrix brings within the realm of discourse the remarkable handling of ljght.

We were taking it as read.

• RMweb Gold

Was that a SPAD on the up line, or is the signalman holding a green flag behind the coach ? ( just to show I was paying attention - I love that saddle tank though)

Guilty as charged, I did notice myself when I uploaded the photo but hoped nobody would notice. :no2: