Chatham Show moves to Gillingham

David C

For years, the Chatham Show at the Historical Dockyard has been a feature in my diary. This year, they've moved both the date and the venue - its next weekend 15 and 16 June in Gillingham at the Medway Park Leisure Centre. The Club's website is chatham-mrc.com and gives details of exhibitors - it looks quite a reasonable spread of layouts and traders.

I will try and get there, although I will miss the 0-4-0STand steam crane that were usually in steam at the Dockyard. A soulless leisure centre with all the middle aged anoraks jostling with sweaty lycra clad sylphs pumping whatever they pump will not be the same!

The Chatham Club, despite the fact that they usually put on a fairly good model show, do seem a little publicity shy. I had to look up their website to discover the date and venue. I think someone mentioned this as a problem last year.

David C

I'm not sure about the parking. It seems a bit limited and is causing me to think twice at the moment. I did like the dock yard venue.

Lots of parking......................

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ME7+1HF&hl=en&ll=51.390517,0.542498&spn=0.003334,0.008256&hnear=ME7+1HF,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.390461,0.542488&panoid=RSflPKsbXZ99bSR-Q-Uc_Q&cbp=12,244.88,,0,0

And on the right hand side of the entrance as well if you scroll along.

Hi Hot news on the Chatham Show parking, a last minute special arrangement has been done with Medway Council who own and operate the Medway Park Leisure Centre car park, that the ticket machines will be covered up for this weekend, so it is free with no restrictions on time, the car park is quiet large but normal charges will apply off site. The exhibition is only a ten minute walk from Gillingham station. If you are driving via Medway Tunnel direction signs will be in place. Hope to see you all there.

• RMweb Gold

Have decided to give the show a go this year - not been since they changed the traffic flow around Chatham when it took 1 hour to get to get round the new system. A real pain in the you know what.

Not wanting any parking hassles decided to go by train this time and let someone else do the driving - two options:

Folkestone - Ebbsfleet - Gillingham by High Speed (1 hour 11 minutes)

Folkestone - Dover - Gillingham by Classic Train (1 hour 41 minutes)

Decided on the high speed option - somewhat more expensive but less time hanging about waiting for connections......and I like the SouthEastern High Speed. Will I find a Starbucks in Gillingham to get a caramel frappuchino to enjoy on the way home?.........

Keith

Decided on the high speed option - somewhat more expensive but less time hanging about waiting for connections......and I like the SouthEastern High Speed. Will I find a Starbucks in Gillingham to get a caramel frappuchino to enjoy on the way home?.........

Keith

Nope. Closest 'Bucks is in Bluewater or Maidstone.

Shame about the move away from the dockyard. Don't blame them though considering how bad the roof leaks. This will be the first one I've missed in 8 years. Always a good show.

The decision to move away from the dockyard was put onto the club after news saying that the dockyard intended to redevelop the slip shed, where the show was held, and the car parking areas within a couple of years.  The Chatham club took the decision to move this year rather than wait.  Probably the best news is that the show should be safe (?!!!) from the elements this year.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a good idea until I looked at the ticket prices - £22.60 rtn from Harrow and Wealdstone.

Regards

Ah, but that is the full fare (and does include the HighSpeed supplement).....cheaper for me with my wrinkly railcard.

Keith

The decision to move away from the dockyard was put onto the club after news saying that the dockyard intended to redevelop the slip shed, where the show was held, and the car parking areas within a couple of years.  The Chatham club took the decision to move this year rather than wait.  Probably the best news is that the show should be safe (?!!!) from the elements this year.

I was on the "Adavoyle Junction" team in 2002 at Chatham, and was treated to the considerable privilege of witnessing the canvas marquee/tent roof collapsing under the weight of rainwater that weekend. The rainwater dumped onto a trade stand below, and I understand there was a sizeable claim as a result......

I was on the "Adavoyle Junction" team in 2002 at Chatham, and was treated to the considerable privilege of witnessing the canvas marquee/tent roof collapsing under the weight of rainwater that weekend. The rainwater dumped onto a trade stand below, and I understand there was a sizeable claim as a result......

I was stewarding there on the Sunday that year (as I am expecting to be able to do this year) and was one of the stewards desperately trying to stop Alton becoming flooded, and their operators refusing to move their stock when asked to!

Colin

The old Black Lion Model World show was a general show, supported by the Chatham Club but not run by them, was held in what is now the smaller second hall, after considerable expansion and up grading for the Olympics the complex was renamed Medway Pack Leisure Centre.

...I was  an operator on a large P4 layout at the show a few years ago. The dirt/dust from the effectively outdoor location under the sheds almost brought the layout to a standstill. From a P4 point of view the new venue has to be good news.

Dave

Archived