Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

Excellent work Mark. were they Black inside, I haven't found any decent pics yet to weather mine?

They were black (and rust) inside, apart from the first one or two) - Paul Bartlett's site has lots of photos. The detachable 'wooden' framing is of the style used for wagons carrying two rows of wire coil; as delivered, the wagons only had transverse ones. These tended to fall apart pretty quickly.

Edited by Fat Controller

• RMweb Premium

Nearly there; couplings next, then possibly a few more additional brake gear bits, but near enough done.

post-6677-0-77095300-1422388212_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-54720000-1422388645_thumb.jpg

Current state of the interior:

post-6677-0-85239400-1422388216_thumb.jpg

While the paints were out, a bit of shading on the sides of the OBA, needs to be a bit darker to represent the grime that builds up around the door catches.

post-6677-0-02527500-1422388215_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Bought a few bits for the layout at Stafford show today:

post-6677-0-26345900-1422819088_thumb.jpg

Some time ago now I added some foamboard between the front of the layout and the trackbed.  While track construction was on going this gave a nice flat surface to place tools and prevented things falling through onto the floor!  Apologies for the blurry photo:

post-6677-0-47856700-1422819184_thumb.jpg

Originally I envisaged a cutting here, sloping down to track level, but having mocked this up it doesn't look right.  So the obvious thing seems to be to go the opposite way and form an embankment sloping away from the trackbed.

A couple of photos of what I'm hoping to achieve:

post-6677-0-80188600-1422819079_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-23710000-1422819085_thumb.jpg

Feeling inspired by my trip to Stafford I've started cutting up polystyrene to form the slope.

• Like 11

attachicon.gif16418198342_13ccb86119_k.jpg

Some time ago now I added some foamboard between the front of the layout and the trackbed.  While track construction was on going this gave a nice flat surface to place tools and prevented things falling through onto the floor!  Apologies for the blurry photo:

attachicon.gif16393204636_720e81e7b0_o.jpg

Originally I envisaged a cutting here, sloping down to track level, but having mocked this up it doesn't look right.  So the obvious thing seems to be to go the opposite way and form an embankment sloping away from the trackbed.

attachicon.gif16415880882_5efd983265_o.jpg

attachicon.gif16415895992_1ea66acbf8_o.jpg

Feeling inspired by my trip to Stafford I've started cutting up polystyrene to form the slope.

Hi Mark, the Track on the embankment will be far better for some nice moody low level shots as well, as here on my Loch Leven.

attachicon.gif16418198342_13ccb86119_k.jpg

attachicon.gif16393204636_720e81e7b0_o.jpg

attachicon.gif16415880882_5efd983265_o.jpg

attachicon.gif16415895992_1ea66acbf8_o.jpg

Hi Mark, the Track on the embankment will be far better for some nice moody low level shots as well, as here on my Loch Leven.

BTW didn't see you at the weekend.

post-9335-0-12942100-1422906507_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That's a very good point Andy, it's something I had a bit of a problem with on Foundry Lane (over half of which was set between a cutting and a retaining wall), but here there should be a few more photo opportunities - the grass needs cutting though.

post-6677-0-91997600-1422911276_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-94469700-1422911007_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-47170800-1422911016_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Yep, those angles work for me too. Makes the viewer feel like they are trackside, not in a helicopter.

That's just the effect I'm hoping for, the plan is that the boards will be set fairly high, so that it is close to eye level.  I know this can be a bit controversial, but it works for me as both an operator and a viewer.

Anyway, as I've said before, I tend to jump around from project to project depending on how the mood takes me.  Today, I've got tired of seeing the bog cart 101 in the photos of the layout and decided to have a look at locos.  I have a Railfreight Class 20 which was in need of converting and renumbering as 20108, possibly with snow ploughs at the number 2 end as seen here:

5484773861_d2930e9369.jpg

20108 . Bescot Yard . Monday 24th-November-1986 . by AndrewHA's, on Flickr

As well as sitting listening to the Legomanbiffo sound chip on YouTube, I've made a start on re-gauging.  The wheels themselves were quite straightforward, the pin points filed down on some Black Beetle 14mm disc wheels (from Branchlines), one wheel removed, then the Bachmann gear and bearings transferred over before refitting the wheel and setting the back to back.  The bogie frames (or at least the brake linkages) needed thinning down to give sufficient clearance.

post-6677-0-94604900-1423517754_thumb.jpg

Need to order a chip and get some transfers ordered from Fox too.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The Class 20 started out as 20090, however (as far as I've been able to tell) this particular one didn't run with headcode discs when in Railfreight livery.  The way in which Bachmann's discs fit to the model would mean that there are four square holes in each nose which would need filling.  While this would be far from impossible, I decided that renumbering would be an easier option.  I used my trusted 1988 Platform 5 to identify which locos were in Railfreight livery, then searched Flickr for photos of each to see which had headcode discs, with preference to locos which would be likely to be seen in the Midlands.  I liked the look of 20059; but my base model has the deeper cabside windows of a loco which had a tablet catcher recess, so that prompted me to settle on 20108.

20108 was allocated to Bescot in 1986/7, moving to Toton during '87, initially in the FHNG General Coal pool, then the FEND Notts Coal Class 20 pool.  Withdrawal came in September '91, which was about the time I stopped 'spotting to follow "other interests".  

With a loco identified differences to the factory applied livery on 20090 (i.e. my to do list) are as follows:

• Overhead line warning symbols positioned higher on cab front and bonnet sides
  • Tread/kick plate below cab doors painted black
  • Position of numbers and Railfreight logos; data panel (blue background?) below the logos
  • Bachmann's buffers aren't too clever
  • Snowploughs fitted in the Nov '86 photo linked above and also in this undated shot, but removed by Feb '87 as seen here
  • Small sticker above the number - possible depot allocation?

The numbers, Railfreight logos and overhead flashes were removed with a drop of meths and a cocktail stick.  Replacement transfers arrived during the week ( the usually excellent service from Fox); wheels and bogie frames have had a coat of Humbrol 98 (chocolate).

post-6677-0-01000400-1423951819_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Before carrying on with the 20, I thought I'd get a VGA which has been on my bench for a few weeks back on its wheels and out of the way. I like these silver coloured vans (and the larger Cargowaggons) I was really looking for one (or maybe a couple) in the original silver/red Speedlink livery, but they seem to be quite hard to come by so I'll make do with this subsector liveried example which I picked up secondhand for a very reasonable price for now. Like the other vans I've done, the Bill Bedford spring units fit nicely between the solebars. I did need to use a bit more packing on this to achieve the correct ride height though. One thing I'm determined to avoid is having a rush to fit couplings to everything in time for the layouts first exhibition (as I ended up doing with the stock for BCB) so the AJs are being fitted at this stage too.

post-6677-0-30272200-1424040157_thumb.jpg

Ride height is now slightly high; really needs the last piece of plasticard packing swapping for one of about half its thickness.

post-6677-0-14042300-1424040163_thumb.jpg

Also, Fryers Lane gets a little mention in the latest edition of Scalefour News in a preview of layouts attending Scaleforum in September, which will be my first exhibition with this layout - lots to do between now and then!

• Like 11

Mark,

Some great information on how you converted those SPAs. I'll be getting the knives out soon. It's a pity I was sent the wrong W-irons.

You don't happen to know what type of axle boxes the SPAs have? I think they're some form of SKF Roller Bearing but the MJT casting doesn't look quite right.

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2256A.php

The one listed under the WA9 reference on the S-scale website looks more like it:

http://www.s-scale.org.uk/wagon.htm

Bit big though!

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ooh, you shouldn't go posting links to S scale stuff; I might get tempted  :secret:

Yes, a real shame you got sent the wrong ones - prompted me to check my stock to check they were all ok!

I used the Cambrian springs and axleboxes as a complete unit; on the Bachmann stuff where I've kept the original springs I've used some left over from Chivers MDV kits which are (IMHO) about the closest thing I'm aware of - not sure if they are available separately, but I need some more!  For castings, 51L part number BRC022 or 023 from Wizard models might do the trick (trim/file the rivet strips off the sides).

Looking through the photos in Paul Bartlett's collection, most seem to have the "inverted hood" pattern axlebox.

• Like 1

Ooh, you shouldn't go posting links to S scale stuff; I might get tempted  :secret:

Yes, a real shame you got sent the wrong ones - prompted me to check my stock to check they were all ok!

I used the Cambrian springs and axleboxes as a complete unit; on the Bachmann stuff where I've kept the original springs I've used some left over from Chivers MDV kits which are (IMHO) about the closest thing I'm aware of - not sure if they are available separately, but I need some more!  For castings, 51L part number BRC022 or 023 from Wizard models might do the trick (trim/file the rivet strips off the sides).

Looking through the photos in Paul Bartlett's collection, most seem to have the "inverted hood" pattern axlebox.

Sorry about that...

Cheers for the axle box information. My first port of call may well be trying to keep the ones from the FTG wagon.

Mike