East Midlands Miscellany

Thought I might post up the odd picture from the East Midlands, which don't really merit inclusion in the "Creative Photography" thread.

First up, we find ourselves some 30 years ago just west of the former Chellaston Jn on the Sheet Stores to Stenson freight line. The Cl.25 is a poor representative of the numerous 4Fs and 8Fs, Beyer-Garratts and 9Fs that once steamed along here. Spring Farm, on the hillside, will have seen them all.

The train of MOD vehicles is probably enroute to the facility at Hilton from the main Ordnance Depot at Chilwell.

post-6880-0-45820000-1389541888.jpg

• Like 18

When the Cl.150 "Sprinters" appeared in the mid 1980s, the two prototype units were often used on the Derby - Matlock service. Often they worked turn and turn about with the two Met-Cam Cl.151s.

Here we see 150001 and 150002 approaching Duffield on such a working from Matlock.

Their bright livery and smooth ride was quite a step-change from some of the other DMUs working in the area.

post-6880-0-27884400-1389559429.jpg

• Like 10

In the 1980s, there were still many attractive mechanical signalboxes existing on secondary lines or freight-only routes in the East Midlands.

One such is Bardon Hill, on the Leicester - Burton line. This dates from August 1899 and is still in use today. Not sure if it's been reglazed though in more recent years.

post-6880-0-93704000-1389648095.jpg

• Like 11

A pair of Cl.20s cross over the main Erewash Valley line on the bridge carrying the down arrival lines for Toton's North Yard, from the High Level goods line.

Any idea what the first few wagons are? They are sheeted over - possibly carrying steel, as wagons further along the train look to be air-braked bogie bolster steel wagons.

post-6880-0-36155500-1389802632.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Wow, this brings back memories, I used to live at Allenton and as kids we used to walk over the line that left the Derby-Birmingham route just south of Peartree and Normanton station and joined the Stenson line at Swarkeston, I could just make out the trains from my bedroom window and recall the traffic was sparse and I only saw 4Fs heading it. The Stenson line was far busier and saw a reasonably steady procession of goods trains hauled by 4Fs,8Fs,9Fs mainly but other varieties could be seen at times. The two highlights of the day were the two passenger services, one about midday and the other about 4pm generally hauled by Newton Heath Jubilees which were not all that common at Derby. The dates would be very late 50s/early sixies. I don't recall balance workings but I suppose there must have been some( anyone know??). These two were heading from the Stenson direction eastwards.

Thanks for stirring the brain cells WS, great photos..............hopefully more??

Rgds........Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Which direction is the class 25 picture looking, am i right in thinking towards sheet stores with the chellaston branch heading off to the left (out of sight)?

The thing that is throwing me is the feather on the signal, i presume that would be for the old branch towards moira?

ikks, on 16 Jan 2014 - 01:06, said:

I could just make out the trains from my bedroom window and recall the traffic was sparse and I only saw 4Fs heading it. The Stenson line was far busier and saw a reasonably steady procession of goods trains hauled by 4Fs,8Fs,9Fs mainly but other varieties could be seen at times. The two highlights of the day were the two passenger services, one about midday and the other about 4pm generally hauled by Newton Heath Jubilees which were not all that common at Derby. The dates would be very late 50s/early sixies. I don't recall balance workings but I suppose there must have been some( anyone know??). These two were heading from the Stenson direction eastwards.

Mike,

In the early 1960s, due to electrification works on the WCML, there was a daily St Pancras - Manchester (and return) service routed this way. This might've been the one you mentioned.

The 1.55pm St Pancras - Manchester Piccadilly (via Stoke) would've passed Chellaston Jn around 4.30pm. The 12.10pm Manchester Piccadilly - St Pancras (via Stoke) would've passed around 2pm.

The 4Fs you mention passing through Chellaston itself would most likely have been working coal trains from New Lount Colliery to Chaddesden Sidings, or perhaps stone from Worthington.

The signalbox diagram from Clay Mills Crossing. Clay Mills was situated between Derby and Burton. It was retained to work the barriers at the road crossing here after multi aspect signalling was introduced in June 1969; finally closing in September 1987.

The goods lines from Burton are not marked on the diagram as the points for those would've been controlled from Derby PSB. However the diagram does refer to "lines" from the Burton direction.

post-6880-0-57669300-1389907925.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hello Jim,

Yes, we're looking towards Sheet Stores. The feather on the signal was for the line to Worthington, originally part of the MR Derby - Ashby through route.

thats the one im thinking of, now the leaves are off the trees you can make out the old junction, in fact the colour light signal is still standing amongst the trees

• RMweb Gold

seems a strange numbering arrangment, 334 to 342, wonder where 336 was?

i think they are still numbered that now, i had an AWS fault along there last week which bought me to a stop and DY342 rings a bell to me (or not in the case of the AWS fault!)

i'll have a look later tonight when i pass over there en route to and from ratcliffe

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

In the early 1960s, due to electrification works on the WCML, there was a daily St Pancras - Manchester (and return) service routed this way. This might've been the one you mentioned.

The 1.55pm St Pancras - Manchester Piccadilly (via Stoke) would've passed Chellaston Jn around 4.30pm. The 12.10pm Manchester Piccadilly - St Pancras (via Stoke) would've passed around 2pm.

The 4Fs you mention passing through Chellaston itself would most likely have been working coal trains from New Lount Colliery to Chaddesden Sidings, or perhaps stone from Worthington.

Thanks for that, I now recall the reasons but had forgotten(old age kicking in!!)

Rgds.Mike

• RMweb Gold

just been down there and the signals are indeed still numbered as the 70s.

the main difference is now beyond weston on trent the signals are LED controlled by the IECC trent panel, lock lane box has gone, and there is also a "new" lead to the M&S warehouse, i say new as its the old castle donnington power station site!

Until 2002 I walked over that bridge on the way to work in the RTC.  By that time it had acquired various reinforcements and clearly wasn't a happy bridge even then. 

Apparently the work to replace it started over Christmas and will last until next autumn.  Seems a very long time for one bridge! 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-25495486

Edited by Edwin_m
  • Like 1