Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Super pictures. That is one lonely looking telephone cupboard. Was there a signal nearby?

There is a colour light signal on the up line right by the bridge, just in front of the Class 114.  I've just seen it on Google Streetview!  I'm not sure whether it was colour light or semaphore when Dad took that photo as I was living in Manchester then.

I think the pillbox in the photo has gone now (again thanks to Google Earth).

David

David

Bottesford station is (slowly) gaining a footbridge. A couple of years ago, a path and fencing was laid from the up side platform to the nearby level crossing. It's still unused, I believe due to local residents not fancying a long walk to or from the crossing and the platform. Not helped, I would think, by the road and path being unlit (I think).

Work started on the foundations for a bridge at least a year ago and has only recently re-started.

Whether there has been local resistance to a bridge I don't know but lighting could again be an issue, there is a story in the local paper about another bridge put up a few years ago which didn't have lighting. It has now had lights added after many complaints.  

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's tonight. In the first one, C5228 at Bottesford, in November, 1980, the white with blue stripe 'refurbished' livery on the class 114 DMU, is showing all too well why white should not be used as a livery on trains - it is quite dirty!

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Nice photos - I like the Peak one in particular. I don't think it is D118 however - this machine was still vac-braked in August 1969 according to Brush Veteran's photo, which also has the D prefix. Your shot shows an air-braked example. Could it be D128 instead, which was on Derby works earlier in the year for a repaint?

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's tonight. In the first one, C5228 at Bottesford, in November, 1980, the white with blue stripe 'refurbished' livery on the class 114 DMU, is showing all too well why white should not be used as a livery on trains - it is quite dirty!

All the best,

Market65.

All our 158s, 222s and HSTs are mostly white. It's not a serious problem so long as they get cleaned often enough, ours usually go through the wash most nights. 

It could also be to do with rim braked vehicles, our 156s are markedly scruffier, the brake dust sticking badly to everything including the windows despite almost nightly trips through the wash plant.  A couple of years ago 156s were trialled with a different type of brake shoe made of some kind of composite material. One of the benefits was less brake dust therefore cleaner vehicles, but the downside was a different braking characteristic which meant that the wheels locked up far more readily, leading to more (expensive) trips to the wheel lathe! That the 156s reverted to cast brake blocks was expected almost from the first trials by most drivers. 

158s, 222s and HSTs are disc braked so don't suffer in the same way.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, great central. I think that you are right about the brake dust. The first generation units were rim braked with all that it clearly implies. I know that BR  soon went and painted the units into blue and grey. This change helped things. Thank you for the informative reply.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Nice photos - I like the Peak one in particular. I don't think it is D118 however - this machine was still vac-braked in August 1969 according to Brush Veteran's photo, which also has the D prefix. Your shot shows an air-braked example. Could it be D128 instead, which was on Derby works earlier in the year for a repaint?

It could well be, I suspect that this was ones of Dad's slides where he wrote down the loco number from memory after he got home.

I've altered the caption.

David

• RMweb Gold

were there many 1st gen units of any kind that got GFYE?

the transition period seems to show most with green, then green or early blue with yellow panels, then BFYE.

I don't really know, but I have very few photos of green with full yellow ends.

Edit

Having had a very quick look through about 4,000 images I can find any other dmus in Green with full yellow ends and only about five blue with small yellow panels.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of the last wagons to be collected from Isabella Sidings by class 37, 37 199. The 37 makes a most imposing sight in those last two photo's at Newsham Road crossing, and Plessey Road crossing.

The shunter in C6765, a Barclay 0-6-0DS, number 2100/520 is something that is one of those good modelling subjects. The number is of some interest too, for I wonder if the ''/'' is a ''part'' designation?

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of the last wagons to be collected from Isabella Sidings by class 37, 37 199. The 37 makes a most imposing sight in those last two photo's at Newsham Road crossing, and Plessey Road crossing.

The shunter in C6765, a Barclay 0-6-0DS, number 2100/520 is something that is one of those good modelling subjects. The number is of some interest too, for I wonder if the ''/'' is a ''part'' designation?

All the best,

Market65.

I've never really understood NCB loco numbering, it seems to have undergone a lot of changes as areas were reorganised, culminating in the formation of the North East Area in 1974.

The Barclay 2100/520 does not appear to be in the Industrial Locomotives of Northumberland Handbook  (Handbook M of the IRS, 1983) so I have no more information about it.

The first four digits may have been a "Plant Registry Number" which was shown on some loos between at least 1967 and 1974 and I think afterwards as well as a few locos are shown numbered in that fashion.

Perhaps someone else reading this thread will know.

David

I've never really understood NCB loco numbering, it seems to have undergone a lot of changes as areas were reorganised, culminating in the formation of the North East Area in 1974.

The Barclay 2100/520 does not appear to be in the Industrial Locomotives of Northumberland Handbook  (Handbook M of the IRS, 1983) so I have no more information about it.

The first four digits may have been a "Plant Registry Number" which was shown on some loos between at least 1967 and 1974 and I think afterwards as well as a few locos are shown numbered in that fashion.

Perhaps someone else reading this thread will know.

David

The NCB plant pool numbering system is quite simple but I do not know enough details to pin locations down!

The first digit is the Division, the second the Area and the last two the colliery ie  Ashington wagons were 9300, number 9 division, number 3 group and the 00 as a catch all for the group.

After the slash the individual asset number.

I hope this helps.

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

Sad photos really, another industry in decline at the time, more or less all gone now of course.

Newsham road is interesting, the 37 is sat on the crossing with the Barriers in the air!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

The NCB plant pool numbering system is quite simple but I do not know enough details to pin locations down!

The first digit is the Division, the second the Area and the last two the colliery ie  Ashington wagons were 9300, number 9 division, number 3 group and the 00 as a catch all for the group.

After the slash the individual asset number.

I hope this helps.

Mark Saunders

Thanks very much Mark, it makes a lot more sense now.

Sad photos really, another industry in decline at the time, more or less all gone now of course.

Newsham road is interesting, the 37 is sat on the crossing with the Barriers in the air!

Andy G

I think the Newsham Road barriers were not working at the time, there hadn't been any trains for some time before the final wagon clearance.  There were several other people there, out of shot, making sure the traffic stopped.

Fortunately Newsham Road isn't a "main road", it's mainly houses around there.

David

Thanks very much Mark, it makes a lot more sense now.

I think the Newsham Road barriers were not working at the time, there hadn't been any trains for some time before the final wagon clearance.  There were several other people there, out of shot, making sure the traffic stopped.

Fortunately Newsham Road isn't a "main road", it's mainly houses around there.

David

Just as well, I don't think the 'Noddy van' would have fared very well against EE's finest :jester:

The entire number makes up the "Plant Registry Number" although in the North East it was more commonly known as the "Planned Maintenance Number".

Common to all planned maintenance schemes a NCB PM number was issued to every item of NCB plant & apparatus. The PM number had more significance than any previous registration, serial or identity number.

As with any PM scheme a schedule of inspection, testing and overhaul was laid down for each individual item of plant so that any developing defect could be identified and actioned, pre-empting any breakdown caused by component failure.

The NCB PM scheme generated a colossal amount of paperwork and was the reason for an ongoing dispute between management and unions (Due to additional payments for writing daily reports.) for many years.

The Loco (I think)

Originally numbered 72.

AB 583 0-6-0 DH 400HP 52tons R-R CT8TFL engine delivered new to South Hetton 28/3/1973.

Worked at South Hetton, Hordon and Bates Collieries. Lambton Engine  works for  maintenance. Bates to Horden 31/5/1985.

After being cannibalised at South Hetton scrapped at Hawthorn Shaft by MJK Demolition week ending 29th May 1992.

(All from Mr Mountford)

Same loco can be seen in various  states of undress here:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=%22Hawthorn%20Shaft%22

Great to see those pics of Isabella Sidings and Newsham Road crossing Dave.Just a stone's throw from my house.

Here are a couple of more pics at Newsham Road crossing . End of steam 1967 and early diesel era 1968.

attachicon.gifimg135.jpg

attachicon.gifimg112.jpg

Mal

Wonderful. Just imagine living in the house by the crossing with those locos passing slowly by only feet from the garden fence.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Really like the ECML photo's. In C401, I think that is the Yorkshire Pullman - there are two portions, one from Leeds and the other from Bradford. I believe by the time of the photo', the Hull Pullman was a seperate train. Cross checked this on Google, and your photo' is the very first result!

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Really like the ECML photo's. In C401, I think that is the Yorkshire Pullman - there are two portions, one from Leeds and the other from Bradford. I believe by the time of the photo', the Hull Pullman was a seperate train. Cross checked this on Google, and your photo' is the very first result!

All the best,

Market65.

Many thanks for this.

I think it's the Yorkshire Pullman too, which is why I captioned it as such on flickr.  As it happens I used a different version of the image on here and didn't notice the caption was different  until I read your post.

David