Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

In post #2534 there is the picture of the 73 in picture C3305.

On the adjacent running line, next to the leading cab, there are 8 wooden sleepers with some cabling and two black boxes.

Does anybody know what it is/does?

Kev.

It looks like an impedance bond to allow return traction return current to flow but keep track circuits separate as can be seen there is a block joint in the rails!

Mark Saunders

Yes they are a pair of impedance bonds and from what I can see they appear to be the oil filled type. These extend some 12" below sleeper level as the coil sits in an oil bath for cooling purposes. The connections from each bond to the running rails carry both track circuit current and traction return current, with the connections between the two bonds carrying traction return current only. To left of each bond you can see what looks like a Gauge 1 p'way hut, this is the connection box between the bond and the track circuit  location which is hiding in the bushes on the left hand side cess.

I think the theory lesson on the resonated impedance bond can wait to another day. :yes:

• RMweb Gold

It looks like an impedance bond to allow return traction return current to flow but keep track circuits separate as can be seen there is a block joint in the rails!

Mark Saunders

Yes they are a pair of impedance bonds and from what I can see they appear to be the oil filled type. These extend some 12" below sleeper level as the coil sits in an oil bath for cooling purposes. The connections from each bond to the running rails carry both track circuit current and traction return current, with the connections between the two bonds carrying traction return current only. To left of each bond you can see what looks like a Gauge 1 p'way hut, this is the connection box between the bond and the track circuit  location which is hiding in the bushes on the left hand side cess.

I think the theory lesson on the resonated impedance bond can wait to another day. :yes:

Thanks very much for the information, when I was getting this photo ready to post I spent some time wondering what it was.

David

Mention of the single tunnel bore brought back memories, David. I can remember going through it to a cricket match in Kent. What was memorable was that the car was a AC/Shelby Cobra with a 427 cubic inch engine and sidewinder exhausts - glorious sounds! Not mine alas but much admired by me. Dark blue, twin white stripes.

Shows how evocative old photos can be!

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mention of the single tunnel bore brought back memories, David. I can remember going through it to a cricket match in Kent. What was memorable was that the car was a AC/Shelby Cobra with a 427 cubic inch engine and sidewinder exhausts - glorious sounds! Not mine alas but much admired by me. Dark blue, twin white stripes.

Shows how evocative old photos can be!

Best, Pete.

That sounds a lot better than my cars when I lived in Exsex.

I had an old  Saab 96 for some years which I enjoyed driving, then I bought a Citroen Dyane - it was what I could afford new!  No power at all but very entertaining once "wound up".  The body heel on corners was something to be experienced.

I once took it to the French Alps.  I found I could get around there a lot faster than a friend in his Ford Capri (1.6 I think) as the Dyane, despite its very skinny tyres, actually had good roadholding.

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Another visit to the Kent and East Sussex in the second half of the 1970s for this afternoon.

When I was living in Essex Mum and Dad usually came to stay over Christmas, Boxing Day always included a trip to a preserved railway.  Hence the last three photos.

post-5613-0-46913200-1425826764_thumb.jpg

Rolvenden USA tank 21 Wainwright, Manning Wardle 14 Charwelton Aug 75 C2408

post-5613-0-79159000-1425826758_thumb.jpg

Rolvenden ex WD Austerity Aug 75 C2409

post-5613-0-83836400-1425826751_thumb.jpg

Tenterden Terrier 10 Sutton  bringing empty stock into the platform Sept 77 C4138

post-5613-0-62681800-1425826755_thumb.jpg

Tenterden Bank RSH 26 and Terrier 10 Sutton towards Rolvenden 26th Dec 79 C4920

post-5613-0-91076600-1425826747_thumb.jpg

Tenterden Terrier 3 Bodiam 26th Dec 79 C4913

post-5613-0-88885400-1425826742_thumb.jpg

Tenterden RSH No26 & Terrier 10 Sutton 26th Dec 79 C4917

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 16

Think the D stock looked much better in silver also they were very comfortable to ride in you sank into the seat and it had bounce felt when going over junctions such as Earls Court and Barking the new S trains are not so much fun to ride in.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A good selection of photo's of the Kent and East Sussex Railway. I like C4920, with the train running through the landscape. C2409, of the WD 0-6-0ST is a good one which shows the smokebox interior, and the engine was still in Longmoor blue. The London Underground photo's remind me of many journeys on the system - which had a distinctive odour to it.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

At that date, the silver stock with flared bodysides at Barking would be R and the red CO/CP. There's some C69/C77 stock in the background sidings. 

There was a lot of ducking and diving both ends of Barking with all those flyovers and diveunders.

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Gold

Lovely photo, Dave, but I think no.10 is bringing empty stock into the platform?

Eddie, 

Thanks for pointing this out.

I'm not sure why I put "leaving", my notes from the day say shunting.   It was as you say bringing empty coaches into the platform, with William Austen on the other end of the rake.  I've amended the caption.

The two locos had arrived from Rolvenden a little earlier on a "brake van special" which had to be put in a siding and the coaches collected for the next train.

It was the 1978 September Steam Fair with various extra workings taking place.

David

• RMweb Gold

Excellent again Dave, in the early 2000s I used to work up the so called Robin hood line when I worked for central trains at Norwich. What a far cry from the railway with loads of character shown in your pictures to the sterile euro style railway it is today.

When I get nostalgic about the coal industry I listen to this.... May cause serious depression however!!!

worked out ~ big big train:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Excellent again Dave, in the early 2000s I used to work up the so called Robin hood line when I worked for central trains at Norwich. What a far cry from the railway with loads of character shown in your pictures to the sterile euro style railway it is today.

When I get nostalgic about the coal industry I listen to this.... May cause serious depression however!!!

worked out ~ big big train:

I enjoyed the video and music, thanks very much.  Somewhere in the house I have a DVD of film taken in the very last days of Ellington pit in Northumberland.

Although I originally came from the Nottingham area I never had any real connection with the mines, except living for a while next to a pit heap!

On my 18th birthday I spent a very interesting day down a French coal mine, next to  the German border  very near St Avold.  I was staying with friends whose father was a (very) senior figure in the French equivalent of the NCB.  They used British coal cutting machinery at the mine I visited, with seams up to 2m thick.  The latter part of the day was spent looking at their coal board railways (a very big system)  and I had a short cab ride.

David

• RMweb Premium

On TV last night I learned that Linby is the most 'favoured' place to live in 'rural' Nottinghamshire. How things have changed (and by that I mean it is a place favoured and often inhabited by those that wouldn't have given it a second glance in the days when it was a Pit Village, or at least surrounded by pits). How can Hucknall and those other pits just have disappeared so completely? Just unbelievable.

Thanks Dave; shows me something I've been trying to visualise since moving up to Notts in 2003.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Growing up and working in the north east albeit south of the tees I wish I had ventured further into the coalfields other than quick glances when going into the pits with MGRs

I too had no connection with the pits until I met my partner in sheringham and she is Durham mining stock through and through

• Like 1

Sorry David a quick hijack of your topic again for a "now & then" opportunity.

Not quite from the same place this time but shot from around the rear coach of the train in your photo and just over 18 years later.

attachicon.gifECML-20.jpg

Approaching the site of Corby Glen station. In the far distance can just be made out the first of 3 overbridges known as "Faith, Hope & Charity" in steam days as when you reached "Charity you knew you had reached the top of Stoke bank. Taken from 55013 working 1L44 the 1605 KX -York, 11th September 1981. Note how in the intervening 18 years the slow lines have been straightened out from the original deviation around the site of the platforms.

Paul J.

similar view taken recently from the cess

post-11924-0-09753400-1425931674_thumb.jpg

great thread, I just cant keep up! :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

On TV last night I learned that Linby is the most 'favoured' place to live in 'rural' Nottinghamshire. How things have changed (and by that I mean it is a place favoured and often inhabited by those that wouldn't have given it a second glance in the days when it was a Pit Village, or at least surrounded by pits). How can Hucknall and those other pits just have disappeared so completely? Just unbelievable.

Thanks Dave; shows me something I've been trying to visualise since moving up to Notts in 2003.

Phil

A bit different from when i was working up there. The gang even had to take concrete troughing up there in small quantities to stop it getting nicked. The PWay lost a large pipe of recovered serviceable sleepers that were being used for resleepering on the line which was to be brought back into use.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's tonight from Nottinghamshire. Things have clearly changed in all ways since the mid '70's, and I can only really echo what others have said regarding the coal mining industry. Such inspiring photo's, especially those two with the class 25 pw train, with an interesting looking crane in it.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

C2928 brings back some memories. The mine pumphouse fed a water main going down the track towards Nottingham. When we were planning the second phase of the Robin Hood line I had to pay several visits up there. We put in a new user worked level crossing to access the Pumphouse and the house adjacent to it. The house had a rather large dog which didn't like the look of us chained up by that dirt track so my ground plan had the length of the chain andthe safe route past him marked on it.

Later the Police started taking an interest in some dodgy activities going on around there. They borrowed railway Hi-Vis and came along on some site walkouts to get a closer look.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As it wasn't raining or blowing a gale this morning I decided to go out to watch some trains.

I ended up looking at Longhirst and Ulgham Lane Crossings, on the ECML north of Morpeth.  As usual I took photos, here are a selection.

post-5613-0-34648900-1425999471_thumb.jpg

Ulgham Lane Crossing 82208 down 10 09 10th March 2015 DSC_5451

post-5613-0-59195600-1425999467_thumb.jpg

Longhirst Class 221 up 10 18 10th March 2015 DSC_5460

post-5613-0-74415400-1425999462_thumb.jpg

Longhirst Class 82 DVT up 10 40 10th March 2015 DSC_5466

post-5613-0-24315500-1425999452_thumb.jpg

Longhirst 91124 up 10 40 10th March 2015 DSC_5467

post-5613-0-26165600-1425999457_thumb.jpg

Longhirst 91124 up 10 40 10th March 2015 DSC_5468

David

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

A few more.

post-5613-0-22675000-1425999604_thumb.jpg

Ulgham Lane crossing Class 220 down 10 51 10th March 2015 DSC_5470

post-5613-0-51919300-1425999595_thumb.jpg

Ulgham Lane Crossing 91107 Skyfall down 10 59 10th March 2015 DSC_5475

post-5613-0-80428700-1425999608_thumb.jpg

Ulgham Lane crossing Class 221 up 11 17 10th March 2015 DSC_5480

The one below has a different version of the Virgin branding.

post-5613-0-98682500-1425999598_thumb.jpg

Ulgham Lane Crossing Class 43 up 11 37 10th March 2015 DSC_5483

post-5613-0-14933200-1425999589_thumb.jpg

Ulgham Lane crossing 43319 up 11 42 10th March 2015 DSC_5487

post-5613-0-78368500-1425999583_thumb.jpg

Ulgham Lane crossing 43257 up 11 42 10th March 2015 DSC_5490

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 16