Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I certainly remember the power cuts. The only source of light at our home back then was the good old candles, as well as the coal fire. I also remember being able to view the night sky without any light pollution to spoil it! Now, in photo' C829, with a class 104 DMU, there appears to be some damage to it's cab end. Certainly the driver's side marker light has part of it's lens glazing broken, and then the driver's windscreen would seem to be completely missing - unless this is a trick of the light, only it would seem that you can see right into the cab in such a way that you could not if the glazing was intact.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 1

Interesting set of pictures from a difficult time in our recent history. I remember the blackouts as 7 year old living on a estate in Oldham with electric power heating, not great. I am surprised not many other response although perhaps someone shouted"All out" and i missed it. 

I happened to live on the side of a hill during the power cuts, and if we watched out of the window at certain times in the evening, a large area of streets would suddenly go dark, sometimes including my place.

We all lived in various bedsits scattered around the town, and would drive around to anyone's gaff who had electricity; then cook a group dinner on their Baby Belling. 

Vesta packet curries were ideal for this activity, because if we all bought the same one - usually the beef curry for two (big appetites) - each, then we could just tip it in one big saucepan and the accumulated rice in another. Those were the days......... weren't they?

• Like 3

We were living in a 70's house, with electric storage heating (with a seperate off-peak meter), We liked the power cuts, the electricity meters failed and started to run backwards when the power was restored....

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I just wish to add a bit more about the power cuts. I seem to recall that, for us in East Yorks., the only way which we could get information was to go to the local electricity shop in the middle of Beverley, and on the door was a list of towns and villages. They were divided up High, Medium and Low, regarding the chance of receiving a power cut. It was dire, but we managed - I remember setting up the model railway in the lounge, and running some trains off a very large battery.

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I certainly remember the power cuts. The only source of light at our home back then was the good old candles, as well as the coal fire. I also remember being able to view the night sky without any light pollution to spoil it! Now, in photo' C829, with a class 104 DMU, there appears to be some damage to it's cab end. Certainly the driver's side marker light has part of it's lens glazing broken, and then the driver's windscreen would seem to be completely missing - unless this is a trick of the light, only it would seem that you can see right into the cab in such a way that you could not if the glazing was intact.

All the best,

Market65.

I've had a look at my notes and cannot find any reference to a broken windscreen.   It did leave on time for Derby.

Looking at the original scan I'm inclined to think that the glass is there, it's probably just at an angle so there appear to be no reflections.

David

Hi Dave,

Yes the winter of discontent power cuts. I was at college on Cottingham Road in Hull at the time, but don't really remember power being cut off to the college. However, I do remember having to go swimming to a pool (Albert Ave baths) that wasn't allowed to heat the water! It was so cold that the chlorine in the water wasn't dissolving properly. The water was very cloudy,and we came out blue. Think it only happened once and then the baths closed. Can't have been very healthy.

Also Vesta Curries, our introduction to the delights of Indian cuisine!

Kevin

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Yes the winter of discontent power cuts. I was at college on Cottingham Road in Hull at the time, but don't really remember power being cut off to the college. However, I do remember having to go swimming to a pool (Albert Ave baths) that wasn't allowed to heat the water! It was so cold that the chlorine in the water wasn't dissolving properly. The water was very cloudy,and we came out blue. Think it only happened once and then the baths closed. Can't have been very healthy.

Also Vesta Curries, our introduction to the delights of Indian cuisine!

Kevin

I don't remember any power cuts during the winter of discontent (78/9), I do remember plenty during the 1972 miners strike and the three day week era (1974).

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I believe that there were also cuts during the power workers strike in the winter of '70/'71 as well. So, with some cuts also in the Autumn of '77, that makes four lots of power cuts that the UK were hit with.

All the best,

Market65.

Now, in photo' C829, with a class 104 DMU, there appears to be some damage to it's cab end. Certainly the driver's side marker light has part of it's lens glazing broken, and then the driver's windscreen would seem to be completely missing - unless this is a trick of the light, only it would seem that you can see right into the cab in such a way that you could not if the glazing was intact.

I can't imagine that any driver would take out anything which had window damage, let alone a complete pane of glass missing... Union rep: "I'm blacking that until it's been repaired!"

• RMweb Premium

Just catching up with 10 days of absence. Great photos as always.

Slightly OT on the camera front. My first "proper" camera was a Zenith EM - built like a tank. It certainly taught me a lot about photography (but I've forgotten it all since though). I sold it to a friend when I moved onto a Pentax ME Super.

We were on a railtour to the West Highland lines just as the 37's were acquiring their various "Loch" names" and photographing our train at Fort William. He was using my old EM on my tripod when I warned him of an incoming train a few feet away on the adjacent platform. He turned round quickly and knocked over the camera and tripod and it bounced towards the platform edge in the path of the oncoming train. Luckily it didn't get too near the edge, as if it had fallen in front of the 37, I would have worried about the 37! The camera suffered a bent threaded ring on the lens where a filter would go and the platform had a corresponding mark, but the camera still worked and provide a few more years service.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I don't remember any power cuts during the winter of discontent (78/9), I do remember plenty during the 1972 miners strike and the three day week era (1974).

Adrian

Hi Adrian

Ted Heath's 3 day week....it was to suppose to save power and therefore coal usage. While all my mates were on a 3 day week I wasn't, I was working for the CEGB at the time. :O

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adrian

Ted Heath's 3 day week....it was to suppose to save power and therefore coal usage. While all my mates were on a 3 day week I wasn't, I was working for the CEGB at the time. :O

Came as a bit of a shock to Longbridge car workers who had to increase their working week to 3 days.

Mike.

A green Type 4s and 5s on mixed maroon / blue & grey stock, a common enough sight from late '66 onwards but rarely modelled, or so it seems. A fascinating and much maligned period and one of my personal favourites... many thanks for sharing those Dave, I've seen those shots before but never tire of them! ;)  

More please Sir...

Edit : re your earlier post #2769 Dave.... those images are a stark reminder of how grim Britain seemed at certain times in the early '70s, strangely innocent looking back yet melancholic at the same time. I remember those power cuts vividly, even more so on one particular occasion when the utterly useless parafin heater we had i nthe kitchen nearly killed us during night when the pilot flame went out! We (thankfully) all awoke the following morning with blinding headaches, sore throats and blackened nostrils. There was definitley an air of gloom about dear old Blighty back then, I can remember my Dad coming home from work moaning about strikes, unions, managers, blackouts, Ted Heath, the miners, all sorts!

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Very nostalgic photo's have been posted by you of York this evening. The two tone green on the 47's is a livery which always suited them so well. Now, in photo' J243, of 40 D252, on a down parcels, August, 1963, I see that the ladder on the nose-end is still there - without referring to a book I have, I think that this 40 was, maybe, one of the last to have the ladder still in place the Summer of '63.

All the best,

Market65.

I can see D2231 sandwiched between the 03 & 08 in J237. Long shot I know but you wouldn't happen to have a profile shot of D2231 as it went past?

Along with D2232 it had a modification that I've never seen on any other Class 04. Basically they had what looked like a drainpipe attached along the full length of the bonnet but I've never been able to work out if the pipe was centrally mounted or offset.

I've no idea as to the purpose of the pipe but think it may have been a modification for the radiator header tank or something to do with flame proofing. Both locos regularly worked trips  into Paton and Baldwins wool spinners when at Darlington and both locos were regulars around the timber yards at Hartlepool docks but ex. Darlington steam men have discounted the flamproofing idea as they say they drove steam engines in Patons works despite Patons shunter being a fireless loco due the fire risk.

Apologies once again for the digression.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Premium

Hi Adrian

I was trying to do my homework by Tilley lamp  :sad_mini2:   My recollection is that school kept going whether the power was on or not.

Adrian

Edited by figworthy

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. Very nostalgic photo's have been posted by you of York this evening. The two tone green on the 47's is a livery which always suited them so well. Now, in photo' J243, of 40 D252, on a down parcels, August, 1963, I see that the ladder on the nose-end is still there - without referring to a book I have, I think that this 40 was, maybe, one of the last to have the ladder still in place the Summer of '63.

All the best,

Market65.

Dear old D252! In the days I was trainspotting we didn't see too many Type 4s close to where I lived. In fact the only place to see them was on the southern end of the ECML. There would be an air of excitement as a Type 4 approached, followed by a sigh of diappointment as D25*********2 rolled past again.

As for the ladder the NER locos kept theirs much longer than the other regions, this might be due to the lack of 25 KVa dangling above the tracks. On Chris Turnbill's photo thread there is a picture of D253 with full yellow end and a ladder, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91758-chris-ts-photo-archives-updated-6th-march/?p=1668454

Edited by Clive Mortimore