Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

c2922. Didn't know brake tenders were still in use in 1976 or were those three awaiting disposal. 

They hung on later than that in a few places, on the WR they were sometimes used on engineering trains of track sections

up to about 1980 as none of the WR allocation of ganes, salmons, or sturgeons were vacuum braked,

post-7081-0-21751200-1424639302.jpg

31159 departs Bristol East Depot with recovered track sections for Taunton Fairwater Pre-assembley Depot, 17/7/79

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Excellent once again Dave. Is that bridge the remains of the GC? I can't believe how much this location has changed. Were the pair of double track lines just to Newstead and Gedling by then?

The big viaduct in the first photo is the GC Bulwell viaduct.  The stone bridge remains in photos 2 and 3 are the remains of an old road bridge.

Has anyone else noted that all three of the brake tenders have a different profile. The first one has a curve to the lower edge, possibly one with LNER bogies, the middle one has straighter sides but the same curvature to the top, is it an LNER or LMS bogied tender and the last one is slightly taller, has a completely different radius to the top and flat sides, it is possibly has LMS bogies.

Had David known the interest in these lumps of metal on wheels, all these years later I am sure he would have taken a photo showing the bogies. :yes:

Clive,

There are many many pictures I wish I'd taken over the years, if only I could go back with a digital camera.  At the time I used to ration myself to about 3 films every 2 months.

Below is the best enlargement I can get from the original scan of the brake tenders.

post-5613-0-91175600-1424644396_thumb.jpg

Brake tenders at Bestwood Park Junction detail from photo C2922

Edited to ad the photo

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi,  Dave. Amazing photo's. Love those of Bulmer's Steam Centre as well as those of Bestwood Park. Such a lot to see in the way of track work at Bestwood Park. A good classic view of two class 20's in C4206.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

In C1575, what's the short blue/grey vehicle behind 4472?

Is it the 2nd (water) tender but in a livery I didn't know about!

Kev.

(Great phots tonight - thanks.)

• RMweb Gold

In C1575, what's the short blue/grey vehicle behind 4472?

Is it the 2nd (water) tender but in a livery I didn't know about!

It is indeed the second tender for carrying water.  As far as I know it had only just been painted in BR coaching stock livery, in an attempt to make it blend in to trains better.

When Flying Scotsman left Market Overton for this working it did not have the second tender, it was attached during a layover at the carriage sidings at Nottingham Midland.  I assume it had been freshly overhauled and painted, possibly at Derby immediately beforehand.

Geeky question - would that 2nd tender have needed a separate running number? It's not attached to its loco in J3604 above. Might cause a few TOPS headaches?

The tender may have had a TOPS number, but may well have not regularly got reported to TOPS.

In the 1970s before the introduction of POIS to monitor coaching stock there were no train lists for passenger trains.

If the tender got marshalled in a freight train, and it was not listed on TOPS,  the TOPS clerk may well have added an '18 comment card' to show the vehicle

in the train, with its tonneage, the guard would then have to manually adjust the trainlist.

cheers.

Edited by Rivercider

• RMweb Gold

Excellent photos again David. I particularly like the northward views of Bestwood PRk, with its track layout and signalling.

Also a glimpse of Nottingham London Road LL. A station which I have never seen photos of in print and just a couple on the internet. It seems to have avoided the attention of photographers.

There are a few of London Road Low Level on my flickr site at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/sets/72157633062108348/

and at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/sets/72157632973221514/

They are also in one of my threads here at:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69274-dave-f-more-photos-added-21-june-from-1947-to-1955ish/

They are harder to find in the thread as they are random posts!

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. As always what wonderful photo's of Swayfield. I've a feeling that the photo' that has been posted before is C1586. In C1456, there is indeed a good variation in the coaching stock livery finish and the weathering. Very useful for reference purposes. I hope that you may have some more photo's like that. Finally, in C0997, most of the Mk1's are fitted with the BR1 bogies, which must be 'hunting' badly over the CWR - I should imagine the passengers, if they could be seen, will have green faces! The Commonwealth and B4 bogies solved those problems.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

C0977; the loco is carrying a 1ZXX number. Is this a special?

I think it probably is a special.

Hi, Dave. As always what wonderful photo's of Swayfield. I've a feeling that the photo' that has been posted before is C1586. In C1456, there is indeed a good variation in the coaching stock livery finish and the weathering. Very useful for reference purposes. I hope that you may have some more photo's like that. Finally, in C0997, most of the Mk1's are fitted with the BR1 bogies, which must be 'hunting' badly over the CWR - I should imagine the passengers, if they could be seen, will have green faces! The Commonwealth and B4 bogies solved those problems.

All the best,

Market65.

It's actually C0977 which is the repeat.  There is a photo of a similar train to C1586 earlier, but it's on a different day.

David.