Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Wondered if C0977 was the Highwayman so googled it and came up with this

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/5664711730/

Now that is spooky on two counts! Same location and photographer.....

PS Isnt there only 1 first class compartment in a Mk1 BCK?

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wondered if C0977 was the Highwayman so googled it and came up with this

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/5664711730/

Now that is spooky on two counts! Same location and photographer.....

PS Isnt there only 1 first class compartment in a Mk1 BCK?

Phil

Phil

There weren't that many photographers about then, most people didn't like diesels or blue and grey.  In all the times that Dad and I visited Swayfield I can only think of about 1 occasion when there was anyone else there taking photos.

I've just had a look in my old (but very useful) Ian Allan abc British Railway Coaches which shows a Mk1 BCK as having 2 first class and 3 second class compartments, one of each being non smoking.  Seating capacity  was 12 in 1st class and varied from 18 to 24 in second class depending on whether arm rests were fitted.  It could carry 1 ton of luggage.

Number series was 21000- 21238,  allocated to Eastern, Western, London Midland and Scottish Regions with the appropriate prefixes.

Edit - Market 65 got there first.

David

Edited by DaveF

Number series was 21000- 21238,  allocated to Eastern, Western, London Midland and Scottish Regions with the appropriate prefixes.

David

There must have been more than that because my records show 21246/47 (from ER, 2/62 but didn't stay long before returning); 21251 (ex-LMR 3/65) and 21263-75 (new between 2/64 and 5/64) being on BR(S) books...

<Slaps head> <Trots up to study and retrieves Hugh Longworth's reference tome on Mark 1 and Mark 2 coaches>

Mark 1 BCK 21000-21275 produced between 1954 and 1964 in 14 lots - the last three of which were fitted with Commonwealth bogies from new instead of BR1 bogies - to two Diagrams: D171 12 first, 18 second; D172 12 first, 24 second.

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There must have been more than that because my records show 21246/47 (from ER, 2/62); 21251 (ex-LMR 3/65) and 21263-75 (new between 2/64 and 5/64) being on BR(S) books...

They must have been built after my abc was published.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium

Some more from the High Dyke branch again today, in the last years of the iron ore quarrying.  Once again being posted a bit earlier than usual this afternoon as I shall be busy later on.

attachicon.gifa High Dyke Class 31s 5672 and another light engines in sidings Nov 69 C172.jpg

High Dyke Class 31s 5672 and another light engines in sidings Nov 69 C172

David

The nearest 31 is 5873 5673. Perhaps 5672 is behind (although it looks more like 5875 5675)?

Edited by brushman47544

The High Dyke pics are a unique record of the final chapter of Ironstone mining North of the Welland.

C1023 shows the Marion face shovel above the train, at a guess I'd say the crane next to it was involved in the dismantling in readiness for shipping it to Glendon Quarry.

There's a good set of shots here

http://www.ourcorby.org.uk/page/the_making_of_marion?path=0p40p

These show it being reassembled for what would be the final six years of service

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Really like the High Dyke photo's. I particularly like the horseshoe on the box in the final photo' J2757, at Skillington Junction. Good to see the 31's in action on the line, as well as a 47.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see High Dyke again David.

Some of the wiring from the up side telegraph pole run (seen in C1261) still survives under one of my layouts, used as push rods to control the PECO points.

Hi, Peter. That's a most remarkable thing, and something which I would never have thought of doing myself!

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

The High Dyke pics are a unique record of the final chapter of Ironstone mining North of the Welland.

C1023 shows the Marion face shovel above the train, at a guess I'd say the crane next to it was involved in the dismantling in readiness for shipping it to Glendon Quarry.

There's a good set of shots here

http://www.ourcorby.org.uk/page/the_making_of_marion?path=0p40p

These show it being reassembled for what would be the final six years of service

Thanks for this, I'd completely forgotten about the move to Glendon.

David

• RMweb Gold

The nearest 31 is 5873. Perhaps 5672 is behind (although it looks more like 5875)?

Re Post #2419

I doubt very much that the loco in front is "5873"

As the highest numbered in the class was D5862.

Brian R

The number is actually 5673, I typed the wrong digit as I was in a hurry when I captioned the images today.  It is one of the 31s with the recess for the table catcher, also seen in blue livery later in today's images.

I know the 6 looks like an 8, it was rather clearer on the original slide.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good to see High Dyke again David.

Some of the wiring from the up side telegraph pole run (seen in C1261) still survives under one of my layouts, used as push rods to control the PECO points.

From 1972 to 1974 I used to drive under the bridge at High Dyke twice every weekday on the way to and from work, so I knew the line there quite well.

David

Some more from the High Dyke branch again today, in the last years of the iron ore quarrying.  Once again being posted a bit earlier than usual this afternoon as I shall be busy later on.

attachicon.gifi Skillington junction Class 31 5673 up iron ore July 72 C1023.jpg

Skillington junction Class 31 5673 up iron ore July 72 C1023

attachicon.gifi Skillington Junction J2757.jpg

Skillington Junction J2757

David

Hopefully these two are a bit older than the ones i've posted before..

post-4034-0-75197700-1424855691_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-74237400-1424856726_thumb.jpg

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great shots of the Midland Main Line tonight. In J1136 at Kegworth, the green liveried 3-car 105 has the yellow stripes over the first-class saloons. I believe that this was fairly rare in green days. Interesting to see the brake-tender in use on the train hauled by the two class 20's in photo' C205, in February, 1970.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

You are spoiling us again Dave!

Class 20 anorak time though. J1568 - I suspect isn't D8156 - see https://www.flickr.com/photos/tibshelf/5842655030/in/photolist-9Ui8My-pNb7EZ-9rncvU-fLRNdw-fL29nP-q49ATL-9rjb7X-9vdL4j-hijdk8-8dsPEv-fLzeQx-gSm3c8-bENQ8v-4zV8ve-NehbX-aZNwWn-pKyyu1was GFYE in 1970 post dating your picture.

Is the terminal digit a 7 - 8187 or 8197 perhaps? - looks like one of the batch delivered in blue

Cheers

Phil

The single class 20 and two brake vans is a lovely picture and the train very much lends itself to the 'going away' composition. I'm guessing you took a picture of the train as it approached as well, and then looking at the resulting pictures subsequently decided that the 'going away' shot was the more interesting of the two?