Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

That last one, David, has a very interesting line up of road vehicles, the most interesting one (for me) being the Ford E93A (a genuine E93A rather than the catch-all by those who don't know!) Prefect soft top, while the next but one along is another - still fairly rare - E93A Prefect, but this time a saloon.

I've been a long standing member of the Ford Sidevalve Owners Club (www.fsoc.co.uk) and I think they would be interested in it. would you object if I forwarded it to them for possible inclusion in their in-house magazine? Usual acknowledgements, etc.

No problem.  I've sent you a PM.

David

That is a large sidecar, looks a bit odd, the motorcycle on the camera side of the chair isn't the one attached to it [wrong side, wrong position] but I'm darned if I can see the one attached to it, must be well forward and of course that huge chair must be longer than the bike.

Nice to see two Prefects especially as one is a convertible, a rarity now.

Edward

• RMweb Gold

The photo of the A40 makes it look decidedly sporty alongside the museum pieces that are parked - I wonder what that little lot would be worth now? Also a very historic shot of the Saltash road bridge in the background being built - didn't it open the following year?

My grandfather had an A40, grey with black roof, happy childhood memories from the '60s in those old cars.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. The fourth photo' at Tetbury, in July, 1963, is most fascinating. That is how not to run round a train! Now, the Gresley coach, upon close examination, is actually a CK. There is no guards van, just a wide window pillar visible where the change of class occurs within the coach. The second coach looks as if it could well be a Porthole BSK, but I could be wrong about that - i.e. it maybe that it is a Period lll BSK without the Porthole windows that were built prior  to the Porthole stock.

In the first photo', I see that the TCL of the class 117 DMU has had the roof vents removed from the second class section.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

PS. If you were to carry out a shunt movement like that at Tetbury on a model, then you would get a stern telling-off!!

Well we don't know do we?  The critical bit might be what we can't see at the other end of the passenger stock because we don't know how long the train was and how much room there was there whereas the Driver may well have taken that into account in deciding where to come to a stand.

Having faced an exactly similar problem trying to run round a train it can be a lot harder than it looks - it took us about 4 or 5 goes to get the stock in the right place to pass it at both ends and the only way we could get it right was for Chargeman who was on the ground to take the vac pipe of the rear coach to stop it in the right place.  We then got round it with about 2-3 inches clearance at one end and very little more at the other - all because some twit had ignored my advice about how many coaches should be on the train and had decided to add one 'because of what the layout plan said'.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well we don't know do we?  The critical bit might be what we can't see at the other end of the passenger stock because we don't know how long the train was and how much room there was there whereas the Driver may well have taken that into account in deciding where to come to a stand.

Having faced an exactly similar problem trying to run round a train it can be a lot harder than it looks - it took us about 4 or 5 goes to get the stock in the right place to pass it at both ends and the only way we could get it right was for Chargeman who was on the ground to take the vac pipe of the rear coach to stop it in the right place.  We then got round it with about 2-3 inches clearance at one end and very little more at the other - all because some twit had ignored my advice about how many coaches should be on the train and had decided to add one 'because of what the layout plan said'.

Mike,

Thanks very much for this.  I one saw a similar problem in Switzerland where a parcels van had been added to the rear of a loco hauled push pull set.  At least there were clearance point markers, but it still took a long time to run round and shunt the van into another road.

I can't remember very much about the actual train, but in the end I think the coaches were moved back about 4 feet, which was the point at which we left.

There was some space at the other end of the loop, certainly more than at the end we can see so I suspect it was just a mis-judgement on the day.

Dvaid

• RMweb Gold

David.

In the photo of the Royal Albert Bridge, one can make out one of the piers of the new road bridge under construction behind the rail bridge.  This of course, places you all on the Devon side of the Tamar.  To the right of the shoulder of the photographer (your Dad?)  at a higher level would be the SR line to Exeter.

Indeed we were on the Devon side, I'm not sure why the "Saltash" crept into the caption. Probably because we are looking towards Saltash, somewhat hidden in the mist.

David

A bit of a change this evening, a few places from around the Great Western rather than concentrating on one line.

I know that diesel railbuses provided the Tetbury branch passenger service from 2nd February 1959 but on this day in July 1963 when Mum, Dad and I visited we found this 16xx on a passenger train.  We were told that as it was the end of term at the local boarding school the railbus might not have been able to accommodate the pupils with their luggage, so steam had been substituted.  The leading coach is a Gresley  of some description, I think the second coach may have been ex LMS.

If you think the leading coach is very close to the point you are right.  The loco removed quite a lot of beading from the coach as it attempted to run round, the loco had to move the train further back before a second attempt at running round was made.  At that point Mum, Dad and I left as the crew were not too happy about more photos being taken.  We got back in the car and resumed our journey to Cremyll, on the opposite side of the Tamar to Plymouth to look at a boat Dad was thinking of buying.

attachicon.gifTetbury 16xx 1664 running round July 1963 J060.jpg

David

Maybe the loco crew were distracted by all those nubile young ladies from Westonbirt School! Nice to see some pics from my neck of the woods.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This morning I spent 90 minutes at Damdykes on the ECML just south of Cramlington in Northumberland.  

post-5613-0-56434800-1425394770_thumb.jpg

Damdykes 156480 Morpeth to Metro Centre 10 01 3rd March 2015 DSC_5388

post-5613-0-59710700-1425394763_thumb.jpg

Damdykes 91124 down 10 04 3rd March 2015 DSC_5390

post-5613-0-69757800-1425394759_thumb.jpg

Damdykes 91124 down 10 04 3rd March 2015 DSC_5392

post-5613-0-88530200-1425394754_thumb.jpg

Damdykes 82219 down 10 04 3rd March 2015 DSC_5393

post-5613-0-74003900-1425394804_thumb.jpg

Damdykes 142093 Newcastle to Morpeth 10 24 3rd March 2015 DSC_5395

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

More from Damdykes this morning:

post-5613-0-22786600-1425395076_thumb.jpg

Damdykes Class 220 up 10 37 3rd March 2015 DSC_5397

post-5613-0-07210000-1425395064_thumb.jpg

Damdykes 91111 World War 1 Remembrance locomotive 10 50 3rd March 2015

post-5613-0-03786600-1425395072_thumb.jpg

Damdykes 142093 Morpeth to Metro Centre 10 59 5th March 2015 DSC_5402

post-5613-0-90209200-1425395067_thumb.jpg

Damdykes 91114 down 11 00 5th March 2015 DSC_5404

The sun went in just as I pressed the shutter!

post-5613-0-91117300-1425395059_thumb.jpg

Damdykes 2x Class 220 down 11 09 5th March 2015 DSC_5408

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Now the last from Damdykes today:

post-5613-0-92864100-1425395556_thumb.jpg

Damdykes 66717 down l e 11 13 3rd March 2015 DSC_5409

post-5613-0-81872700-1425395546_thumb.jpg

Damdykes 43312 up 11 14 3rd March 2015 DSC_5410

post-5613-0-55371000-1425395560_thumb.jpg

Damdykes 82207 up 11 20 5th March 2015 DSC_5411

post-5613-0-62240000-1425395551_thumb.jpg

Damdykes 156 Metro Centre to Morpeth 11 26 3rd March 2015 DSC_5414

post-5613-0-40951800-1425395564_thumb.jpg

Damdykes Class 221 up 11 30 5th March 2015 DSC_5417

Another batch of old photos to come this evening as usual.

David

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Interesting photo's of Damdykes. The new Virgin livery is ''different'', not sure what to make of it! Derby is a complete contrast back in BR days. I like C4311 with the two 25's to Skegness and 45 014 on a train to the South West.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

The Virgin livery is interesting, looks like the diner/buffet car is the livery divider, so that the first class vehicles have their stripes going one way, and standard the other. Not sure I get the weired little whiskers on the dvt and 91 though....

The first shot of Derby Loco shows a long rake of 6 wheeled vans, I suppose they were in use as Enparts vans at the time?

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

The Virgin livery is interesting, looks like the diner/buffet car is the livery divider, so that the first class vehicles have their stripes going one way, and standard the other. Not sure I get the weired little whiskers on the dvt and 91 though....

The first shot of Derby Loco shows a long rake of 6 wheeled vans, I suppose they were in use as Enparts vans at the time?

Andy G

The vans were certainly for some sort of stores.  I couldn't make out the lettering details on the original slide when I scanned it.

David

Andy G

Ex-LMS Fish vans; by the mid-1960s, they'd gone over to transferring loco stores around the network. Curiously, unlike the WR vehicles, they didn't carry 'ENPARTS' branding; if there was a branding, it would be simply 'STORES VAN'. They lasted into the late 1980s, I believe.

Chivers' Finelines do a nice kit in 4mm.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bulleid Pacifics still in traffic July 67 - at least until 9th anyway

There were other green Standard 4s too - 75027 not withdrawn until The End August 68, IIRC 75009 was another

Phil

Just found this super shot of 75027 in August 68 in the KDH Archive

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/12595078733/in/photostream/

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

Thin blinds off a different loco class.

Mike.

I don't think this is the case, blinds on locos were a standard size, what makes it look different is that the metal surround the blinds run behind has either been painted grey or has faded to a grey colour. Centre head code peaks always had a bigger gap between the second and third character, I suspect this is because they utilised two two character units as used in the split box and split centre variants, side by side. Perhaps someone more familiar with the mechanisms could confirm this.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,Dave. A great selection of WCML photo's tonight. I like the  Fairburn L.E.  in the last photo', a nice atmospheric photo'.

All the best,

Market65.