Bachmann FFA/FGA early container flats

Andy Y

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Now that C-rail intermodal are doing the 70s-era 20 foot containers, along with suitable decals, I thought I'd crack on with converting my old Hornby FFA/FGA wagons:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/257/entry-17490-ffafga-container-flats/

I know they won't be more than an impression of the real thing compared to the Bachmann ones, but I'd got far enough along with the project that it seemed a shame not to finish it.

But - given the skeletal nature of the prototype - I'm intrigued as to how Bachmann are going to get sufficient weight into the models for reliable running. Even if they're entirely die-cast,

there still isn't much too them, and the castings would end up being pretty slender in places. I've had to squeeze lead between the solid frames of my units, which won't be an option

if modelled correctly.

Here's a link to the C-rail container:

http://www.c-rail-intermodal.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_29&product_id=200

They're also doing one with the advertising panel on the side.

• Like 3

I don't know if it was my imagination, but the last couple of years did seem to have a lot of 'we'll announce this so no-one else will/can'. Even if a couple of years later there's still nothing to show for it. May as well crack back on with my S-kits detailing parts for the old Hornby flats, not holding my breath for these anymore (which is a shame).

I don't know if it was my imagination, but the last couple of years did seem to have a lot of 'we'll announce this so no-one else will/can'.

No it's not....Been seeing that especially from Bachmann and DJM. I wish they didn't do that....promises only sadly.

No it's not....Been seeing that especially from Bachmann and DJM. I wish they didn't do that....promises only sadly.

Agreed about the promises from Bachmann and DJM. Dapol too for that matter.

But then (as if by magic) Hornby pull a Biomass Hopper from out of a hat. Surprises do sometimes happen!

Guy

But then (as if by magic) Hornby pull a Biomass Hopper from out of a hat. Surprises do sometimes happen!

At 83.00 quid a pop maybe Hornby thought that particular queue jumper would be helpful in clearing some of their debt?

Yes I know it was a private commission.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

They were when I encountered George at Lydd Rail last year.

I might be wrong but I think I've seen S-Kits stuff on the Shawplan stand at exhibitions.

The other way to get an FFA/FGA rake is with the Colin Craig etched kit but this seems not to be in production (and it's well out of my league anyway).

• RMweb Gold

George was at DEMU Showcase last year with S-Kits and will be at this year's Showcase too. As mentioned, Brian Hanson of Shawplan stocks a few S-Kits items too.

HTH

Guy

Don't get excited by the S Kits stock at Shawplan, down to of couple of bogie kits, Blair tax cameras and a few other minor bits and bobs. Seem to have a few portable toilets though!

Mike.

Agreed about the promises from Bachmann and DJM. Dapol too for that matter.

Guy

Dapol did...However they realized that it got them no good and hence they decided upon a new strategy i.e. announce a product when it's well into it's development. Similar case with Hornby. Both companies still don't shy away from giving you info about a products status too with regular updates.

If you want to contact George Ansell (S-Kits) regarding the updating kits for the Hornby wagons, his address is:-

16 Barrow Road,  Sileby,  Loughborough, Leicestershire , LE12 7LP

Though he doesn't have a web-site, he has an E-mail address:-

infoshrapnel@btinternet.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sniffing around the internet yesterday I found mention of a kit project for what looks like a 3-D printed FFA/FGA rake which was announced as going ahead despite the Bachmann plans:

http://www.wildboarmodels.co.uk/news.php

Scroll down to July 2014 to see a shot of the model, which looks good. Doesn't look like much has happened since then, though.

Edited by Barry Ten

• RMweb Gold

Now that C-rail intermodal are doing the 70s-era 20 foot containers, along with suitable decals, I thought I'd crack on with converting my old Hornby FFA/FGA wagons:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/257/entry-17490-ffafga-container-flats/

I know they won't be more than an impression of the real thing compared to the Bachmann ones, but I'd got far enough along with the project that it seemed a shame not to finish it.

But - given the skeletal nature of the prototype - I'm intrigued as to how Bachmann are going to get sufficient weight into the models for reliable running. Even if they're entirely die-cast,

there still isn't much too them, and the castings would end up being pretty slender in places. I've had to squeeze lead between the solid frames of my units, which won't be an option

if modelled correctly.

Here's a link to the C-rail container:

http://www.c-rail-intermodal.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_29&product_id=200

They're also doing one with the advertising panel on the side.

DJM and Dapol have both produced chassis components in tungsten, which is 1.4 times denser than lead.  So that's one possible solution to bumping-up the weight of these wagons.

• RMweb Gold

Using tungsten as a weight in a model train seems like a frivolous waste of a relatively rare metal that has many important industrial uses.

I hope they find another solution!

I'm guessing another approach might be to get as much weight into the bogies as possible, and let the bodies go along for the ride.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just hoping these will be shrunk for N-gauge. I note the original Farish interpretation has been dropped from the latest catalogue. Come on Mr Bachmann--you know it makes sense!