Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

About a year ago I finally had enough of Windows ans switched to Apple Mac for my everyday computing requirements and have never looked back. Swopping my stuff over to the new desktop was the usual pain but after just 24 hours I found I had settled in with the Apple way of doing things and was using it intuitively. MS office for Mac works perfectly well, if anything it is more stable than when running on windows! Being able to work on the computer within10 seconds of switching it on makes a big difference, and the 27 inch retina screen is simply amazing to use.

I have kept my old PC running Windows 7 for my hobby specific applications such as Lokprogrammer and templot, it now sits in my hobby room rather than the home office, with the rolling road and lokprogrammer permanently set up.

Happy days...

I've been a Mac convert for about 10 years now. They have their critics for various reason I understand but for me it just works, instantly, easily, all of the time, every time.

• RMweb Premium

Now that the froth has subsided following the Hornby 2019 announcement, what's in it for me?

Well, I think it will be worth getting a new Prairie to replace my very ancient Airfix model, one of the earliest editions from circa 1980 and still running with its original traction tyres. It has served me well but its days are now numbered. I'll keep my Wills one, though, as that performs pretty well.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140665-Hornby-new-tooling-large-prairie/&do=findComment&comment=3409095

On the coaches front, I have several Bachmann BR Mk 1 non-corridors. My longer-term plan is to replace these with BSL/Phoenix kits or Airfix/Comet conversions but in the short to medium term I might get a few - less than half-a-dozen - of the new Hornby models.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140670-Hornby-new-tooling-57-bow-ended-suburban-coaches/&do=findComment&comment=3409123

Wagons? Maybe, just maybe one of these for the Padstow goods:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140676-Hornby-new-tooling-lswr-warner-brake-new-van/&do=findComment&comment=3409180

That will probably be all.

• RMweb Premium

Now that the froth has subsided following the Hornby 2019 announcement, what's in it for me?

Well, I think it will be worth getting a new Prairie to replace my very ancient Airfix model, one of the earliest editions from circa 1980 and still running with its original traction tyres. It has served me well but its days are now numbered. I'll keep my Wills one, though, as that performs pretty well.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140665-Hornby-new-tooling-large-prairie/&do=findComment&comment=3409095

On the coaches front, I have several Bachmann BR Mk 1 non-corridors. My longer-term plan is to replace these with BSL/Phoenix kits or Airfix/Comet conversions but in the short to medium term I might get a few - less than half-a-dozen - of the new Hornby models.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140670-Hornby-new-tooling-57-bow-ended-suburban-coaches/&do=findComment&comment=3409123

Wagons? Maybe, just maybe one of these for the Padstow goods:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140676-Hornby-new-tooling-lswr-warner-brake-new-van/&do=findComment&comment=3409180

That will probably be all.

I am thinking of setting up a retirement home for unwanted Prairies. 

Back in the days of me working for Gaugemaster the bosses had bought up a large amount of the old Airfix stock of these locos and we were flogging them off at a good price. We would run them for a customer, they have never been a quiet loco. As they were noisy we would suggest to the customer that where it had been standing for some time the noise might be due to the gears becoming dry and we would offer to give the gears some oil. Off came the body, oil on the gears, and give it a run. A lot quieter without the plastic sound box, and a sale.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think I will only actually get one composite coach. If there were an all-third in the range I would get five of those.

• RMweb Premium

I'm still working on the loco storage solution. I went into our local art shop yesterday and, while no-one was looking, squeezed a piece of 5 mm foamboard  to see what happened. I think there will be enough 'give' for it to fit the 4 mm slots on the Loco Lift. I therefore bought a small sheet so that I can do more testing.

Martin S-C has tried this:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135768-nether-madder-and-green-soudley-rly/page-25&do=findComment&comment=3431062

Based on that, foam board seems to be the way to go.

Thanks Martin.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I picked up two boxes from the Post Office - the order was split into two packages on account of weight - full of DCC Concepts Cobalt iP digital point motors. I now have enough analogue and digital point motors to complete the entire layout, which is a good feeling.

Today I spent a bits-and-pieces afternoon, which I enjoyed as while I didn't actually do very much, at the end I felt that I had achieved quite a lot - if that makes sense. No photos though, as none of it was really exciting enough.

First, I fitted a DG coupling to one end of a Bachmann WR 12-ton planked van, to complete set 820 along with a Hornby ex-LNER full brake. This pair forms part of the 2218 Paddington - Penzance parcels (the train that includes the empty non-corridor second that forms set 544), working back later on the 1540 Penzance - Paddington.

I then tidied up the stock shelves a little. The two-vehicle sets are now stored at an angle while the single-vehicle sets are perpendicular to the run of the shelves. This means that when I apply the set numbers they will all be visible clearly to the yardmasters.

The next job was to look at some of the wagons that were in the naughty corner. I managed to tweak the wheelsets on half-a-dozen of these so that they could be pushed at high speed through the straight roads of the double slips, which I think is the toughest test on the whole layout.

After that, I fitted a new fouling point marker at the Down end of the Down Through track at Paddington, as that will, I think, become the permanent home for the short clay trains to keep them out of the way of other traffic.

Finally, in a further step towards preventing a repeat of the debacle that was November's running session, I changed all the batteries in the Pro-Cab R handsets then ran every train round the layout at least once. Everything ran well enough to satisfy me so I left things at that.

Our next running session is next Saturday, when we will have a new team member joining us. He has built an interlocked lever frame, for his home layout of Gordon on Sydney's North Shore line, which consists of an MSE lever frame driving Modratec interlocking (see the link in the "articles" section of the Modratec website https://modratec.com/index.php - unfortunately the direct link to the page doesn't seem to work). He has also produced some very nice three-position block instruments. I hope that he will become a regular signalman in Mid-Cornwall.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Model block instruments are relevant to my interests at the moment. Is he bringing some along to demonstrate? Or would some photos of his installation be possible?

I'll ask him Martin. I think he has written them up somewhere.

• RMweb Premium

We had a good running session today, albeit somewhat shorthanded. This is the summer holiday season in Australia and a number of folk were away for that reason, while one or two others had to call off at short notice. Notwithstanding that, our new operator Stephen, as well as bringing a most excellent cake, slipped into the routine very comfortably and is looking forward to becoming a regular team member.

He's written some notes on his block instruments, which he will send to me along with some photos. I will post those here when they arrive. He may bring a set of instruments next time to show us how they work.

We had a little trouble again with the H&M point motors today. I'm not sure why, but they are now definitely the weak link in the whole operation so I think I will start the process of changing them out for Cobalts sooner rather than later.

In other news, I've decided that I won't order any of the new Hornby coaches at all. The Bachmann composite that I was going to replace is in fact itself a substitute for a brake composite, so getting a Hornby composite instead as a further interim step before building a BSL kit doesn't really make sense.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We had a good running session today, albeit somewhat shorthanded. This is the summer holiday season in Australia and a number of folk were away for that reason, while one or two others had to call off at short notice. Notwithstanding that, our new operator Stephen, as well as bringing a most excellent cake, slipped into the routine very comfortably and is looking forward to becoming a regular team member.

He's written some notes on his block instruments, which he will send to me along with some photos. I will post those here when they arrive. He may bring a set of instruments next time to show us how they work.

We had a little trouble again with the H&M point motors today. I'm not sure why, but they are now definitely the weak link in the whole operation so I think I will start the process of changing them out for Cobalts sooner rather than later.

In other news, I've decided that I won't order any of the new Hornby coaches at all. The Bachmann composite that I was going to replace is in fact itself a substitute for a brake composite, so getting a Hornby composite instead as a further interim step before building a BSL kit doesn't really make sense.

No idea if this is of use but have you looked at Worsley Works GWR/WR selection?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Strange suggestion but could it be the climatic conditions by any chance? Aus seems very very hot at the moment.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

No idea if this is of use but have you looked at Worsley Works GWR/WR selection?

Phil

I have, Phil. We had that discussion here a few months ago with regard to Toplights. The thing is that I already have a number of Slaters, Comet, BSL, Phoenix and Westdale kits lying around (plus a few Hammond sides) that may, or may not, get built eventually to replace such things as Mainline/Bachmann 60' stock, Bachmann Mk 1 non-corridors, Airfix/Dapol/Hornby B Sets and so on. It's more important for me to get the trains running with the RTR coaches first.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Strange suggestion but could it be the climatic conditions by any chance? Aus seems very very hot at the moment.

Phil

You could well be right. The layout hasn't been run properly since September (remember the November command station battery debacle) and I suspect that the motors have gone a bit stiff in the hot weather since. I can't be bothered to put up with this any longer so I'll be starting the changeover programme very soon.

• RMweb Premium
On 06/01/2019 at 17:47, St Enodoc said:

I plan to put the computer cables into a conduit but there is something else I need to explore first - watch this space.

The "something else" was to see whether it was feasible to replace the old "square" monitor in the railway room by the newer "wide" monitor in the study. This is because the new computer's monitor sits where the old computer's monitor used to be. Consequently, the old computer's monitor now has to sit on the main part of the desk. It was feasible, so to minimise the amount of space that is taken up on the desk I have changed back to the "square" monitor in the study and the "wide" monitor is now in place for the train describer in the railway room.

20190120003traindescribermonitorchangedandcablesinconduit.JPG.c280d3354d2ba00a1deef22f22c12b02.JPG

Having done this, I secured the cables in a piece of plastic conduit to make that corner of the room tidier.

I also reattached a blade to one of the Paddington point tiebars after it had come off yesterday.

Other than that, the only other task was to think about how to stage the replacement of the H&M point motors by Cobalts. Not everything needs to be done at once, so changing over from each AD-S8fx board in turn will be the simplest and also the most logical way.

Separately, Stephen has sent me details of his block instruments.

block ins advertising brochure one side 151118 no order details.docx

He actually makes these to order for sale but to avoid breaching any RMweb rules on advertising I've removed the order details from the attached flyer. If anyone is genuinely interested please PM me with your own contact details and I will forward them to Stephen.

Edited by St Enodoc
images restored
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

You could well be right. The layout hasn't been run properly since September (remember the November command station battery debacle) and I suspect that the motors have gone a bit stiff in the hot weather since. I can't be bothered to put up with this any longer so I'll be starting the changeover programme very soon.

At least the lubricant in the Cobalts should stay softer in your warm climate. Maybe they might need more regular top ups though? Have you read the discussions about that? Might be worth prepping your new Cobalts so you can lubricate the gears whilst they remain in situ.

P

• RMweb Premium

At least the lubricant in the Cobalts should stay softer in your warm climate. Maybe they might need more regular top ups though? Have you read the discussions about that? Might be worth prepping your new Cobalts so you can lubricate the gears whilst they remain in situ.

P

Thanks Phil. I haven't read any of those discussions - can you point me in their direction please?

Edit: I know about this one:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130755-cobalt-turnout-motor-problems/?hl=+cobalt%20+lubrication

as both you and I have contributed to it but if there are any others please let me know.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Coming on well in the year since I last saw the layout. Needs a bit of ballasting done

Yes, that's not too far away now. Once I get the rest of the storage loops commissioned I will have to do some ballasting at Porthmellyn Road before installing signals. I like to do that after ballasting so they don't get in the way. Viaduct guard rail supports before ballasting though...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I suspect I have misunderstood something .......but I got a bit confused with the mention of AD s8fx decoders and the new Cobalt IP motors that are replacing the H&M motors. Can these cobalts be connected to AD s8fx? I thought they were just for solenoid motors.

Apologies in advance if I am , not for the first time, being a bit dim

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Premium

I suspect I have misunderstood something .......but I got a bit confused with the mention of AD s8fx decoders and the new Cobalt IP motors that are replacing the H&M motors. Can these cobalts be connected to AD s8fx? I thought they were just for solenoid motors.

Apologies in advance if I am , not for the first time, being a bit dim

Best wishes

John

You are absolutely right John. The present arrangement is that the H&M solenoid motors are driven by the AD-S8fx decoder boards. The conversion programme will see the H&Ms and the decoder boards removed and replaced by Cobalt iP Digital motors, driven direct from the accessory bus. Sorry if that wasn't very clear before!

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

With your meticulous approach to everything on your layout I was pretty sure that would be the case but Ithought I had better check.

In the absence of any rugby I was watching the American football semi finals so during the interminable commercials I did read back thru the thread to check any prior mention......not finding anything I thought I had better send that rather timid query

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Premium

Exciting news from Kernow about their Warships:

"Project update - 25th January 2019 - Production of the first two versions complete
The first two models left the factory and are now on board the vessel AL MURAYKH which is due to dock into Southampton around 21st February.  This does mean the pre-order price offer has now closed.  K2601 and K2604 are in the first shipment with the remaining models expected to be completed soon after Chinese New Year".

I wonder whether mine (K2601) will arrive in time for me to fit DGs and a decoder before our March running session.

• Like 1