Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

我不明白这里的问题一切都很好 !

M.Andarin

然後你看錯了地方

You can't catch me out like that! Veronica, being Singaporean, is expert in reading and writing Chinese.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

is there a combined AND for boat spotters?

I know Ian Allan done bus, lorry (well BRS) and airplane books I cannot recall seeing a ABC for ships. I wonder if there was a British Merchant Shipping one. I had a early 1960s Observers book on ships with all the Merchant Navy class locomotives companies listed and their funnel colours and their main passenger ships.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've got this one:

post-21039-0-97317100-1548575886_thumb.jpg

The code on the back cover suggests that it was published in June 1958.

post-21039-0-34383800-1548575996_thumb.jpg

Inside the back cover are others in the range. I've never seen a copy of any of these.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I've got this one:

attachicon.gifimg003.jpg

The code on the back cover suggests that it was published in June 1958.

attachicon.gifimg004.jpg

Inside the back cover are others in the range. I've never seen a copy of any of these.

Cor b****r me pink with a blue banana, well I never. Kids in the 1950s had all the fun.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

We set off to Canberra on Saturday, Australia Day, for an overnight stay. Now, you may well ask why a couple of Sydneysiders should want to do that and there are indeed, in my opinion, very few good reasons - but this was definitely one:

post-21039-0-04777800-1548629297.jpg

This is the catalogue from the National Gallery of Australia's current major exhibition, which we visited yesterday. If you like that sort of thing, it is definitely worth the trip.

Bringing us back to a railway theme, something I didn't know before was the connection between the Pre-Raphaelites and British light railways. According to Wikipedia:

"Colonel Holman Fred Stephens was the son of Frederic George Stephens, Pre-Raphaelite artist and art critic, and his wife the artist Rebecca Clara (née Dalton). He was named after his father's friend and former tutor, the painter Holman Hunt, although the two later fell out. He was a great nephew of the naturalist, explorer and biologist, Charles Darwin."

One or two of the pictures in the exhibition had actually been presented to the Tate Gallery by Col Stephens himself.

Anyway, back to business in the railway room today. I decided to start the replacement of the H&M point motors by Cobalt iP Digitals at the Down end of the Paddington loops.

20190128001PDpointdecoderboardbeforedisconnection.JPG.54cbc9ebfc250798556390070bc10737.JPG

Here's a picture of one of the decoder boards before I disconnected anything. The two motors I worked on today were 214 and 215, which operate the two points leading from the main lines into the Paddington Down throat.

Fitting the new motors to the boards was quite easy, while programming the motors was also straightforward once I'd read through the DCC Concepts instructions a couple of times. The motors come pre-centred (as do their analogue cousins), which makes them easy to fit in the correct position. Once they were in place the first job was to release the self-centring function by using address 198, after which I encoded the actual accessory addresses. To maintain the existing normal/reverse route-setting logic in the Mini Panel I also had to use the software-driven changeover function (address 197), which changes N to R and vice versa.

Once the motors were working correctly off the accessory bus, I connected the frogs. Finally, on motor 215 I had to connect the direct push-button connection for the normal direction to keep the number of routes on the Mini Panel within the limit of 30. I made a temporary lash-up with the accessory bus so that the new and old motors can still work together, Once all the motors on each decoder board are changed out I will remove the board and connect the accessory bus permanently to the new motors in daisy-chain fashion.

20190128003PDHMpointmotors214215replacedbyCobaltiPDigital.JPG.511c4314c4c159992dba3692f67eeb1c.JPG

Here are the two new motors installed and connected. My apologies for the blurred image - it was a very awkward location with limited light, so the exposure was a bit too long to avoid camera shake.

20190128004PDpointdecoderboardafterdisconnectingmotors214215.JPG.83ba7b664eb6696da8a30eeae63d04d3.JPG

Here is the decoder board with all the wires for motors 214 and 215 removed. I re-used the frog wires but the solenoid connections obviously aren't needed now, so the wiring under board is a little less congested. A big bonus is that no soldering was needed so I didn't have to struggle with the iron under the baseboards with all the other wiring getting in the way.

This all took me a couple of hours, but now I know what I'm doing I reckon it should take about half-an-hour per motor from now on.

Edited by St Enodoc
images restored
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Her indoors reckons that must have been a very good time spent looking at the paintings.

Shame we can't pop over to see them too.

Baz

Yes it was. We spent a good couple of hours in the exhibition, although they weren't all to Veronica's taste so she spent more time in some of the permanent galleries as well. As well as Australian art, there is a good selection of Impressionist and Surrealist works on display.

Although the show is billed as "masterpieces from the Tate", there are a number of works from other places such as the Ashmolean and indeed the NGA's own collection too, so it really was a treat seeing well over 100 pictures, illuminated books and tapestries in the one place. Unlike our visit to the Hokusai exhibition in Melbourne a couple of years ago, it wasn't too crowded either so it was possible to appreciate the works without the constant feeling that you were being shuffled on to the next one.

• Like 3