Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

I've started with some printed ones:-

post-1730-0-08724200-1494251818.jpg

The all third is done and I'll be printing some more in the next couple of weeks. Other types will follow as I draw them.

Yum! Methinks you may be pestered to sell some!

Guest spet0114

No problem having it haul Mk1's

84944.jpg

Does anyone know if it ventured out on BR metals in the '70's-'80's with blue/grey stock?

Wrong tender! :-(

For his Kitmaster Stirlings, my dad used Bachmann Emily 6 wheel clerestories as a train and a set of teak finish coaches made from Ratio GWR 4 wheelers and Airfix brakevan underframes. I later made him a five coach set of six wheelers from a Rod Neep/Kemp models set of sides, I think they were ex GC, but he always preferred the Emily coaches.

post-9992-0-57760600-1502369235_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

For his Kitmaster Stirlings, my dad used Bachmann Emily 6 wheel clerestories as a train and a set of teak finish coaches made from Ratio GWR 4 wheelers and Airfix brakevan underframes. I later made him a five coach set of six wheelers from a Rod Neep/Kemp models set of sides, I think they were ex GC, but he always preferred the Emily coaches.

attachicon.gifPA234332.JPG

Mike Wiltshire

How did he motorise them ?

Guest spet0114

Even though it's had that tender for 79 years and run with it........

No, I mean the Rapido model will have a different tender to that shown in the pic, thus you'll not be able to accurately run it with Mk 1's.

No, I mean the Rapido model will have a different tender to that shown in the pic, thus you'll not be able to accurately run it with Mk 1's.

Or the 1938 set.

Between the 1870s and the 1910s I would expect that there would have been changes to the appearance of the class.  Some minor and subtle, e.g. things like whether there were vacuum pipes or side chains, but including at least one quite noticeable change, the blanking off of the cut-outs in the driving wheel splashers. These various changes, like the tender No.1 gained on restoration, affect what strictly speaking, the model is appropriate to run with.

I am not trying to be negative (please stop claiming that I am!), but merely to make the point that I suspect very few of us will end up running this locomotive at the head of a set of pukka 1870s-1880s ECJS coaches, and that I think most of us will exercise a fair degree of latitude in terms of where it is run and with what. I wouldn't worry about it.

I suspect that, more often than not, Rule No.1 will be applied to the running of Locomotion's No.1.  

As the late Barry Norman (no, the other one) was known to say "and why not?"

...Kitmaster tender, vital for post grouping and onward operation, RARE!

To those who do such things, I'd have thought a tender body would be quite easy to produce via 3D printing .............

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Well, I've ordered one. I have, in my dotage, developed a strange predilection for singles. Rather off my parish - and time-frame, but what the hell - who needs an excuse...? Now I need to think about what on EARTH it'll drag around behind it - any advice on the most sensible options appreciated....?

In addition to the rational 'GNR stock' suggestions, I wonder about a 'Royal train' option?

My ignorance on the subject of what 'Royal' stock was available, and how it was used when the Stirling single was in front line service, may safely be considered limitless. Queen Victoria and her many descendants certainly travelled by train regularly. Did the various vehicles built by the pre-group companies stay solely on their home turf, or could they 'wander' elsewhere when the convenience of through transport was provided - I have no idea if this happened?

I am thinking happy thoughts of a train of vehicles which could credibly have been seen anywhere on the rail network, just in case we are blessed with other last quarter of C19th express traction of  Dunalastair, Gladstone, Hardwicke, Spinner, Tennant (supplement with your preferred beauteous locomotive) flavours

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am 100% new to model railways and know almost nothing so please excuse my ignorance. We have recently moved from South AFrica to UK and yesterdy went to visit the National Museum in York and was blown away ... I really loved the large wheel on the Stirling SIngle and thought it would be cool to have a model of one ... so I started searching and was suprised to see that there weren't any models of it (in OO/HO scale at least) and had almost given up when I stumbled across this forum and this great model ... I have paid my £50 deposit today and now eagerly await what looks like a fantastic model.

:)

If I may ask a silly question please .... historically, was this loco ever used to haul goods or was it always a passenger train ?

Look forward to many happy post, comments and chat.

Cheers for now

Victor

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

If I may ask a silly question please .... historically, was this loco ever used to haul goods or was it always a passenger train ?

Welcome Victor. Questions are never silly...answers maybe..

It was probably not unknown for them to do some freight work but I don't think I've ever seen any pictures showing them on it, They were a primary express locomotive and would be rostered for that work. The GN had many 0-8-0, 0-6-0 and 2-4-0 locos for goods which were better suited.

Edit to add the Rapido newsletter which has a second sample of the Single along with a projected timescale.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Rapido-News-Vol--13---Lucky-for-Brummie-bus-fans-.html?soid=1101318906379&aid=11TWL6AOE-M

Edited by chris p bacon

I doubt you would have found them pulling general goods trains.

But when they were superceded by more powerful locomotives such as the GNR Atlantics then they possibly would have been used on lesser trains such as milk, fish, fruit, horses and parcels trains. The type of things that needed to be moved quickly from one place to another.

Jason

In addition to the rational 'GNR stock' suggestions, I wonder about a 'Royal train' option?

My ignorance on the subject of what 'Royal' stock was available, and how it was used when the Stirling single was in front line service, may safely be considered limitless. Queen Victoria and her many descendants certainly travelled by train regularly. Did the various vehicles built by the pre-group companies stay solely on their home turf, or could they 'wander' elsewhere when the convenience of through transport was provided - I have no idea if this happened?

I am thinking happy thoughts of a train of vehicles which could credibly have been seen anywhere on the rail network, just in case we are blessed with other last quarter of C19th express traction of  Dunalastair, Gladstone, Hardwicke, Spinner, Tennant (supplement with your preferred beauteous locomotive) flavours

I've got a couple of books on Royal Trains somewhere and most companies had their own Royal Train or at least carriage. But I think most of the time it was the train that was owned by the company from where they were travelling from that was used. You wouldn't expect His/Her Majesty to change trains.

So if they were travelling from Windsor then expect the GWR train to turn up. If they were travelling to Sandringham from London then it would probably be Great Eastern. Going to the IOW then probably LSWR. Brighton it would be LBSC.

Some of the stock is listed here. It's far from being complete. Don't forget all the other carriages for attendants, railway staff, guards and other people, mostly directors saloons, dining cars, sleeping cars, sometimes Pullmans, and luggage cars, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Royal_Train

Jason

• RMweb Premium

A steam loco with a driver that size would be like a car or truck permanently in overdrive.  They could reach a high speed, but the amount pulled would be less. There would also be friction (or lack of) considerations with only a single driver.

... and most companies had their own Royal Train or at least carriage. But I think most of the time it was the train that was owned by the company from where they were travelling from that was used. You wouldn't expect His/Her Majesty to change trains.

So if they were travelling from Windsor then expect the GWR train to turn up. If they were travelling to Sandringham from London then it would probably be Great Eastern. Going to the IOW then probably LSWR. Brighton it would be LBSC...

That's all plain and straightforward for outings down branchlines. But QVM and PA were keen on Scotland, and that meant the MAIN LINE. And not any single company's mainline either, at least three to get to Tartan Central HQ, Balmoral. Was that a through train, or was it change at York and Berwick and/or Edinburgh? Seriously, I haven't a clue about the great Queen's railway journeys, other than her taking a road coach around Welwyn viaduct the first time she went North on the Great Northern's newly constructed route.

That's all plain and straightforward for outings down branchlines. But QVM and PA were keen on Scotland, and that meant the MAIN LINE. And not any single company's mainline either, at least three to get to Tartan Central HQ, Balmoral. Was that a through train, or was it change at York and Berwick and/or Edinburgh? Seriously, I haven't a clue about the great Queen's railway journeys, other than her taking a road coach around Welwyn viaduct the first time she went North on the Great Northern's newly constructed route.

Queen Victoria used the LNWR for her trips north - she commissioned them to build a set of coaches in 1869. The East Coast main line didn't have dedicated royal rolling stock until the GNR and NER jointly constructed some for King Edward VII in 1908. This was operated by the three ECML companies (GNR, NER and NBR) until the grouping.

Post-grouping, the LNER continued with the East Coast stock it had inherited (and passed it on to BR at nationalisation, it was finally withdrawn as part of a rationalisation programme in 1977). On the WCML, the LNWR, MR and GNSR royal coaches all passed to the LMS which augmented them with some more of its own.

On a wider note, there has never been a single entity known as the "royal train", not even one per railway. In the earliest days, it was just a single coach attached to a normal train; latterly, an exclusively royal train was often used for longer distance travel but even then it would comprise coaches suitable for the journey - a sleeping car would be appropriate on a trip to Scotland, for example, but not Brighton.

Dragging  this tangent back on topic, it's unlikely that the Stirling Single ever hauled a royal train. Its heyday as a mainline express locomotive predated the construction of the East Coast Joint Stock royal coaches, and by the time the GNR did have a royal train to haul the Single had been displaced from frontline duties by the Ivatt Atlantics.