47 712 back in ScotRail livery

BigAndy

Good morning everyone,

It is my great pleasure to be able to provide this press release on behalf of the Crewe Diesel Preservation Group:

‘LADY DI’ BACK IN SCOTRAIL COLOURS, READY TO STAR AT DRS OPEN DAY

An iconic passenger locomotive from the 1980s has been restored and repainted into the historic colour scheme that it was most associated with. Class 47/7 No. 47712, which once carried the name Lady Diana Spencer, is now back in the attractive Chris Green-inspired ScotRail livery that it wore during its time working the intensive Edinburgh-Glasgow push-pull services.

The Brush-built Type 4 diesel has been given considerable attention by members of the Crewe Diesel Preservation Group (CDPG) since its purchase in 2013, after becoming surplus to Direct Rail Services’ requirements. Initially based at the Crewe Heritage Centre, it moved to the Weardale Railway where the loco has latterly provided traction for the winter season Polar Express charter workings.

During down-time, the opportunity has been taken to re-instate the vacuum-brake system, overhaul numerous components and make cosmetic improvements such as removing the multiple working and re-instating the distinctive front end TDM cables. Much of this effort has only been possible due to the help of Weardale Railway volunteers. The repainting was undertaken by RMS Locotec’s Wolsingham workshop. RMS have, in the past, only repainted locomotives from their own group and this is the first job they have done for an external customer.

The result of all this hard work is a fully-operational, reliable, dual-braked, ETH-fitted locomotive. Now that the exterior renovation has been completed, the owning group is actively encouraging invitations for a revitalised 47712 to attend and perform at diesel galas, special events and open days.

The first public display of No. 47712 in its ‘new’ coat of old colours is scheduled to be at Carlisle Kingmoor Open Day on Saturday, July 18th, when visitors to the DRS headquarters will be able to meet the owners and inspect the locomotive more closely.

Originally numbered D1948, the locomotive entered traffic in August 1966 before being fitted with electric train heat equipment and renumbered 47505 in 1974. In 1979, it was chosen to become part of the Scottish Class 47/7+DBSO push-pull project and emerged from Crewe Works later that year, wearing the new identity of 47712.

It was named Lady Diana Spencer as a result of a Radio Clyde suggestion competition won by Mr Robert Cooney. The then BRB Chairman, Sir Peter Parker, revealed the plates on April 30, 1981, at Glasgow Queen Street station. ScotRail blue-stripe livery was applied during overhaul at Crewe Works in early 1985, and was carried until overhaul at Doncaster in 1991.

For more details contact: Philip Sutton 01780 470086.

post-10371-0-24410600-1436508461_thumb.jpg

That looks fabulous Andy, well done all

I'll have to get a model now...

Funnily enough Damian, I have an Em'd 712 in ScotRail that has sound on board! It is Jon's that I did for him, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind it having a spin on DITD sometime.

Funnily enough Damian, I have an Em'd 712 in ScotRail that has sound on board! It is Jon's that I did for him, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind it having a spin on DITD sometime.

You're very welcome.

Will you be getting some mark3s and a DBSO ? For the real thing - how useful would that be?

Can't say too much at this stage Damian, but yeah, toatally agree with you about a DBSO complimenting 712 very nicely indeed..........

Of course, the more stock you have, the bigger the place you would need to store it all!

I remember seeing Lady Di  banking the Hunterston- Ravenscraig iron ore tipplers through Mossend in the early 80s what a wonderful noise, two on the front, one dead and Lady Di roaring away at the rear.

Dave Franks

That looks superb. I guess reinstating the LDS nameplates is a non-starter?

Without boring you all to tears with the details, the group are doing everything we can to ensure that the LDS plates get reinstated, but there is an awful lot of red tape to push through in order to get there.

Keep following the progress on the groups website or the facebook page.

Thanks to all the button pushers on here for the kind comments.

cheers

Andy

Delighted to come back from holiday (with no wifi in the holiday house) to log on to RMWEB to find this brilliant news, esp as I am heading to the open day next Saturday.

Haymarket depot stickers needed if you are going to keep it clean, Eastfield if you are never going to clean it again.

Without boring you all to tears with the details, the group are doing everything we can to ensure that the LDS plates get reinstated, but there is an awful lot of red tape to push through in order to get there.

Keep following the progress on the groups website or the facebook page.

Thanks to all the button pushers on here for the kind comments.

cheers

Andy

Excellent! Best of luck and hope you get there in the end. Really would put the cherry on the top.

Archived