Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

I'm sure as everyone knows Revolution are doing a class 59 in N gauge, and bloody good it looks to, but Revolution said no when i asked if they would do it in 00 gauge.

Over on the Hornby page, and in pic above, there have been noises about Hornby updating their class 59, i'm wondering if Hornby have got something planned? They shot Cavalex down in flames with the retooled class 91, could they do the same to Dapol with the 59. Are Dapol holding off putting the 59 in to production because they know Hornby have one coming? If Dapol produce theirs and then Hornby do one, which could be better, that will be a lot of models that Dapol get lumbered with that won't sell and that could financially be a big issue for them. With potentially both Hornby and Dapol having class 59 projects on the go that might also explain why Revolution have said a straight no!

With a class comprising only 15 examples we don't really need duplicate models and i think it would be brave of Dapol to take on Hornby until they at least see what Hornby do. Hornby are doing there future plans/big reveal on Monday i believe, be interesting to see if a 59 is a surprise announcement.

I can't help but think now that something is going on behind the scenes, Dapol make that rather brilliant O&K Hopper wagon, Accurascale the ARC & Yeoman tipplers, and Revolution the Mendip JNAs and the HOAs aren't far away either, there is a very good fleet of Mendip stone wagons to pull around screaming out for a high end class 59 to pull them ASAP but no one seems to want to take that step!

• Friendly/supportive 1

47 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Over on the Hornby page, and in pic above, there have been noises about Hornby updating their class 59, i'm wondering if Hornby have got something planned? They shot Cavalex down in flames with the retooled class 91, could they do the same to Dapol with the 59.

that was a railroad class 59

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Dapol have already tooled their model and got as far as decorated samples.

And along came Hattons, with a much raised spec for their 66 including more etched grills, those infamous rotating axleboxes, swappable full length bufferbeams/ guards, etched footsteps, increased lighting options and 32 different options on day one at the same price as the Dapol one which doesn't quite hit the same spec….

Since then the game has raised across modern image.. 55/37 from Accurascale, 20/24 and 47 from Bachmann, 56 from Cavalex…

I held both the EPs for the Hattons 66 and the 59, and back then I know which I prefer..Hobby has moved a long way since 2015… but the 59 hasnt... its a long wait for production after seeing a painted EP.

I felt dissapointed by Heljans 25.. it didnt meet the grade, indeed it felt a bit unpolished, compared to what models we are seeing now, especially under the hood. I hope the 59 doesn't, especially as it was the 68 that started this upward detail trend.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Dapol I think they have backed themselves into a corner with the Class 59 because the Class 68 (which was exceptional) will be compared against it and the 59 may be found wanting. 

They have to balance reputation, profitability on the 59.

Market research may indicate they can sell more and make more money if they go for less detail (better than Hornby but not quite Hattons 66 standard) and lower price.

What if the economic conditions may be unfavourable and they can't make a profit at all

should they decide to sell the tooling perhaps to recoup development costs?

What would you do under the circumstances?

After all these years ?

Edited by letterspider

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, letterspider said:

What would you do under the circumstances?

After all these years ?

The tooling costs money, and most money was spent over 3 years ago.. indeed it was close to being ready to turn the handle (or as SK says.. push the button).

so push the button..

I can only assume, theres a much bigger story  we don't know about, has occurred, as these were all expected delivered before covid, indeed last time I saw them fully painted and rtr was the same day Accurascale announced a class 55 with a 3D print, and neither had mentioned a Manor.. yet all of those arent far off.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

I'm sure as everyone knows Revolution are doing a class 59 in N gauge, and bloody good it looks to, but Revolution said no when i asked if they would do it in 00 gauge.

Over on the Hornby page, and in pic above, there have been noises about Hornby updating their class 59, i'm wondering if Hornby have got something planned? They shot Cavalex down in flames with the retooled class 91, could they do the same to Dapol with the 59. Are Dapol holding off putting the 59 in to production because they know Hornby have one coming? If Dapol produce theirs and then Hornby do one, which could be better, that will be a lot of models that Dapol get lumbered with that won't sell and that could financially be a big issue for them. With potentially both Hornby and Dapol having class 59 projects on the go that might also explain why Revolution have said a straight no!

With a class comprising only 15 examples we don't really need duplicate models and i think it would be brave of Dapol to take on Hornby until they at least see what Hornby do. Hornby are doing there future plans/big reveal on Monday i believe, be interesting to see if a 59 is a surprise announcement.

I can't help but think now that something is going on behind the scenes, Dapol make that rather brilliant O&K Hopper wagon, Accurascale the ARC & Yeoman tipplers, and Revolution the Mendip JNAs and the HOAs aren't far away either, there is a very good fleet of Mendip stone wagons to pull around screaming out for a high end class 59 to pull them ASAP but no one seems to want to take that step!

I suspect they're waiting to get their hands on a few Revolution models to find all the errors that need correcting on theirs. No, just kidding ... 

As for the wagons, just hang them off the back of a 66 or a 60. Sorted!

Jo

• Like 3

On 08/01/2022 at 22:11, Steadfast said:

I suspect they're waiting to get their hands on a few Revolution models to find all the errors that need correcting on theirs. No, just kidding ... 

As for the wagons, just hang them off the back of a 66 or a 60. Sorted!

Jo

Thats what im doing at the moment, ive got two Freightliner 66s (Hattons) to pull them with..... but i really want a 59..... actually no, i want lots of 59s to pull them with, lol.

Ah well, tomorrow is Hornbys big reveal...... lets see if they surprise us with a super detail 59?

• RMweb Premium
On 09/01/2022 at 23:19, GEARJAMMER said:

Ah well, tomorrow is Hornbys big reveal...... lets see if they surprise us with a super detail 59?

Nope, they didn't!

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It really is a long wait for this model. I have now given up any hope of a Dapol version of the 59 and hope that someone else produces one soon. I do find it galling that these companies do not even update customers on progress (or lack of). 

• Agree 2

39 minutes ago, 7013 said:

It really is a long wait for this model. I have now given up any hope of a Dapol version of the 59 and hope that someone else produces one soon. I do find it galling that these companies do not even update customers on progress (or lack of). 

Yes, it's very frustrating but hopefully a production slot is in the manufacturing plan at the factory or it may even be in production now.

And I'm sure it will be worth the wait if the Class 68 is anything to go by and a benchmark they have to live up to.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

Just got an email from Gaugemaster, advertising 59003 Yoman Highlander in GBRF as part of the Gaugemaster Collection. Due Q1 2023.

Likewise, got the preorder in at RoS. Wonder how close it will be to q1 2023......

• RMweb Gold

I just got an email from Hattons stating Q1 2023 for delivery of the 59. I have never known a model that got to such an advance stage take so long to get completed. There was a pandemic apparently, but on the other side of the equation DJM were not involved.

Other models not even announced when samples of the 59 were shown have made it to market. Even Dapol's own Manor is progressing much more quickly and possibly got the production slot intended for the 59. I wonder why they are rushing the Manor so much :)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

I just got an email from Hattons stating Q1 2023 for delivery of the 59.

I read the Hattons email as the 59003 version would be here in Q1 23, but the previously announced ones would be Q2 22?

not sure if that means that 59003 is planned for a second batch, or their release date for the main releases hasn’t yet been updated?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

I just got an email from Hattons stating Q1 2023 for delivery of the 59. I have never known a model that got to such an advance stage take so long to get completed. There was a pandemic apparently, but on the other side of the equation DJM were not involved.

Other models not even announced when samples of the 59 were shown have made it to market. Even Dapol's own Manor is progressing much more quickly and possibly got the production slot intended for the 59. I wonder why they are rushing the Manor so much :)

"I wonder why they are rushing the Manor so much"...

I would think to get it released before the Accurascale version hits the shelves.

Both are shaping up to be fine looking models !

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

Oddly enough I was just coming here to comment on the Q1 2023 lead time. It appears that (according to the retailers I have seen comment on this) that the other announced 59s are due Q2 2022.

That leads me to think run 2 is going to be announced soon perhaps?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

"I wonder why they are rushing the Manor so much"...

I would think to get it released before the Accurascale version hits the shelves.

Both are shaping up to be fine looking models !

You missed the smilely

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Oddly enough I was just coming here to comment on the Q1 2023 lead time. It appears that (according to the retailers I have seen comment on this) that the other announced 59s are due Q2 2022.

That leads me to think run 2 is going to be announced soon perhaps?

That is logical. So we will get some 59s this year. I am hoping for one of 59001-4 in original livery in the next run. I may just get 005 and backdate it.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, amwells said:

I read the Hattons email as the 59003 version would be here in Q1 23, but the previously announced ones would be Q2 22?

not sure if that means that 59003 is planned for a second batch, or their release date for the main releases hasn’t yet been updated?

An EWS version would also be quite welcome.

I believe this variant has just been announced Dapols N gauge range. Fingers crossed !

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh joy,lets see how this version of rotating axle boxes turns out,only four per bogie on most of these so should work well if its well thought out,of all the ones that i would have liked Accurascale to have a go at,this was it,the real ones have built crossrail in the time this has dragged on.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

14 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

That is logical. So we will get some 59s this year. I am hoping for one of 59001-4 in original livery in the next run. I may just get 005 and backdate it.

59005 can't be backdated to the other 4, the NRN radio pods are different for one.

Though looking at the samples,  Dapol haven't tooled to do 59005 correctly anyway, so a renumber of 59005 may easily do 001-004. 

Jo

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1