Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

59005 can't be backdated to the other 4, the NRN radio pods are different for one.

Though looking at the samples,  Dapol haven't tooled to do 59005 correctly anyway, so a renumber of 59005 may easily do 001-004. 

Jo

Yes, I am not sure what to expect. I will have a good look at 59005. I would have to switch the exhaust side too I think. I have have so many projects to do I may wait if they announce another run. Either way something may require correction depending on what compromises have been made.

• Friendly/supportive 1

So in the first batch 4D-005-000 is that now 59002 or 59005 in early Yeoman livery? Some retailers conflict! Suggestions are due APR-JUN 22.....but not holding my breath (or I might die given this saga).

Can someone kindly educate me as to the key differences 59001-004 to that of 005 in the original livery (plus any body differences)?

Thanks

1 hour ago, sanspareil said:

So in the first batch 4D-005-000 is that now 59002 or 59005 in early Yeoman livery? Some retailers conflict! Suggestions are due APR-JUN 22.....but not holding my breath (or I might die given this saga).

Can someone kindly educate me as to the key differences 59001-004 to that of 005 in the original livery (plus any body differences)?

Thanks

Compare the roof of them together here for the main ones. 001 also has a bell on the no. 1 end cab.

59005 + 59001 7A17 Wootton Rivers

001-4 were built with the exhaust exiting on the driver's side,  but were modified to exit over the second man's side in the 1990s, whilst still in the original livery, so doesn't necessarily need altering for the early 4.

Jo

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, daz9284 said:

I'm unsure why Dapil are releasing nearly all the liveries in N gauge but only five in OO. 

Regards

Darryl 

I think because the announced models and liveries have been around for ages in OO whereas in N they announced the model, then put it on the back burner then re-announced it recently.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steadfast said:

And in N there's competition.  Interesting that the extra liveries seem to directly counter Revolution's offering

Jo

i think that’s really good marketing, more choice for the buyer, but I’m sure the 00 versions will be rerun with new liveries and running numbers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've pre-ordered my GBRf 59003 with DCC and sound from Rails, but I can't see the need for a smoke generator as Class 59's and 66's generally don't smoke unless they blow the turbo.

14 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I've pre-ordered my GBRf 59003 with DCC and sound from Rails, but I can't see the need for a smoke generator as Class 59's and 66's generally don't smoke unless they blow the turbo.

That’s what put me off the smoke generator.

The standard Dapol sound models have the option not to have the smoke unit.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sanspareil said:

I'm pretty sure they announced 59002, did those first samples as this, then announced it has been renumbered to 005.

Perhaps they had tooled the roof based on the /1 (005 is more similar to the 59/1s) and didn't realise that they'd need to change it for 1-4? 

I'd like to have several yeoman and ARC ones, so I'm hoping for an original yeoman 1-4 in the second run to renumber. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Steadfast said:

001-4 were built with the exhaust exiting on the driver's side,  but were modified to exit over the second man's side in the 1990s, whilst still in the original livery, so doesn't necessarily need altering for the early 4.

Jo

AFAIK they got a repaint in original yeoman too. One giveaway is that the orange line was originally above the top blue line, then moved to run through the middle. So hopefully they are on the ball and marry up the modified exhaust with the moved cantrail line. 

Edited by stationroad
  • Like 1

On 17/02/2022 at 11:42, sanspareil said:

Thanks

Main one is the exhaust port on the silencer went from left to right. Only 59001-4 as build had it like this. Also as previously pointed out some of the 59/0's were repainted in the original livery and there were slight changes, mainly to the cantrail stripe

Look here http://www.hondawanderer.com/Class_59.htm, compare 80's/early 90's pics of the 59/0's to late 90's. Not sure when it happened exactly but the 59/1 and 59/2's were built with the revised location

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/02/2022 at 12:03, daz9284 said:

I'm unsure why Dapil are releasing nearly all the liveries in N gauge but only five in OO. 

Regards

Darryl 

From what ive been told by an retailer....the bodies have been completed for some time....the delay has been with the chassis.

• RMweb Premium

The time this has taken it should have a walking talking driver,if an established manufacturor like Dapol cannot get a model to market of a model shed makes one wonder whats going on,the smoke thing makes them look stupid,a stay alive would be better and where sound and basic functions work on DC.I cancelled 59206,ordered the DRS 68 pair,i would want to see one before i buy now,the wagons are useable on Hattons 66 now anyway.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2022 at 11:10, stationroad said:

I'm pretty sure they announced 59002, did those first samples as this, then announced it has been renumbered to 005.

Perhaps they had tooled the roof based on the /1 (005 is more similar to the 59/1s) and didn't realise that they'd need to change it for 1-4? 

I'd like to have several yeoman and ARC ones, so I'm hoping for an original yeoman 1-4 in the second run to renumber. 

I seem to recall one being announced for the Collectors Club as an OO model (59002?) which has gone really quiet......

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Quick question on the 59/0 - I've noticed several retailers have it listed as 'Era 9' only. I think I'm right in thinking that 59005 (if it is that) was delivered later than the other 59/0s and that there are detail differences as discussed above, but was it that much later? Era 9 is 1995 onwards. Is there something about the livery it's in that makes it a better match for the later Yeoman JHA hoppers?

Thanks for any info.

Rich

1 hour ago, Rich Papper said:

Quick question on the 59/0 - I've noticed several retailers have it listed as 'Era 9' only. I think I'm right in thinking that 59005 (if it is that) was delivered later than the other 59/0s and that there are detail differences as discussed above, but was it that much later? Era 9 is 1995 onwards. Is there something about the livery it's in that makes it a better match for the later Yeoman JHA hoppers?

Thanks for any info.

Rich

1989 for 59005. 001 - 004 built 1985, delivered 86.

Jo

• Thanks 1

• Tempfix
15 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

1989 for 59005. 001 - 004 built 1985, delivered 86.

Jo

Thanks for that. So, if the 'Era 9' tag is correct, and it is 59005, there is something about it that marks it out as not being in 1989 condition.

Rich

(Not that I'm averse to stretching #Rule 1 in the right circumstances!)

1 hour ago, Rich Papper said:

Thanks for that. So, if the 'Era 9' tag is correct, and it is 59005, there is something about it that marks it out as not being in 1989 condition.

Rich

(Not that I'm averse to stretching #Rule 1 in the right circumstances!)

I'm not 100% on dates (and it seems to vary manufacturer to manufacturer) but era 9 I think would be the revised Yeoman or AI liveries, so until Dapol actually show a production sample  it's all a bit of a lucky dip anyway. Revised Yeoman was carried by 005 1998 - 2008, AI 2008 to present.

Jo

• Thanks 1