Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

• RMweb Gold

Blink and you’d miss it…. But on the bottom shelf of Dapols display case, literally an inch off the floor… were Dapols 59’s…

i got down on my hands and knees for a look, I did ask, but was told they have no update.

Looks like two iterations of painted EP, the one from c3 years ago, and updated ones of the same.

ARC and NP look greatly improved on the bodyshells (which are the newer EP).

555D29EC-EF40-42A7-9821-581689A9A49E.jpeg

C817804A-D6E1-4727-8BD5-E0EE78EDC2EF.jpeg

76AD4CD0-9128-4F5D-8A35-A5E47E243798.jpeg

D3A7872E-CA7D-4845-8423-BD1E1F95735C.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

37 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Blink and you’d miss it…. But on the bottom shelf of Dapols display case, literally an inch off the floor… were Dapols 59’s…

i got down on my hands and knees for a look, I did ask, but was told they have no update.

Looks like two iterations of painted EP, the one from c3 years ago, and updated ones of the same.

ARC and NP look greatly improved on the bodyshells (which are the newer EP).

CA61F1A8-1480-46D1-962F-EB10C8B6198A.jpeg

14BBAC0B-B3F7-4F80-9313-FCDE9EE1F5FD.jpeg

6687E0D6-00F6-4124-8407-52DB7544A79A.jpeg

45D6E65A-99EC-486D-9A9B-789E38D0B957.jpeg

I was asking about a new run of 73s not knowing that they had announced a new run that day. But also asked about the 59 and was told that productions underway they are awaiting production samples atm. And hope for them to arrive in july. 

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, gary_lner said:

I was asking about a new run of 73s not knowing that they had announced a new run that day. But also asked about the 59 and was told that productions underway they are awaiting production samples atm. And hope for them to arrive in july. 

Yup, pretty much what i was told, they said the class 59s were in production at the moment, they should be complete by May with two months shipping, so due July. Was good to actually get an update from the horses mouth so to speak.

The 59/1 & 59/2s looked good to me (i resisted getting down on my knees and risk getting trampled), Im not sure on the 59/0 though, the 'y' on the side did'nt look right, but we will see.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/03/2022 at 08:41, gary_lner said:

I asked too and was told similar, although July as such wasnt mentioned. More just a general 'Summer' for arrival in shops. Given the 59 saga I should have maybe asked which summer!

Edited by sanspareil

Some photos that were on here posted pre forum issues from Alexandra Palace

Whats refreshing is that the marker lights on the 59/0 are now the same size. The ones with Chassis fitted appear to be the earlier prototypes, so don't take too much notice of these, the bare shells are the ones to look at. Looks like a few minor decoration issues and some will always say the BR Warning Panel yellow vs ARC Mustard wont be the same

image.png.f881671a6c64906fe8290e032c4dd2af.pngimage.png.6a5d1c27ea30f3a10d3c5580ce0a3e71.pngimage.png.c8dec91846cc2c40b36085ceeed816eb.png

• Like 3

I see Dapol have discovered the silver paint for the Yeoman ones. A shame the JHAs don't match and were incorrectly issued in grey!  Pic linked from Flickr. The wagons looked grey on occasion, but that's stone dust.

59005 BESCOT 1990050659005 (Kenneth J Painter) Bescot open day

The missing NRN pods look tricky to add too (no.2 end on the /0, no.1 end on /1 and /2). 

Jo

3 hours ago, Steadfast said:

The missing NRN pods look tricky to add too (no.2 end on the /0, no.1 end on /1 and /2). 

Jo

I noticed that myself, but zoom in on the photos as a few of them are in different places... 

33 minutes ago, LaGrange said:

I noticed that myself, but zoom in on the photos as a few of them are in different places... 

Yes, but all the variations only have a single pod on the model. All types should have two (except for the as built /0 that has none)

Jo

On 01/04/2022 at 01:41, Steadfast said:

Yes, but all the variations only have a single pod on the model. All types should have two (except for the as built /0 that has none)

Jo

Unfortunate, but at least it has the pods - 73 doesnt have any, be it the T-Aerial or the Pod that some have. A little modelling maybe required, make sure to ask on many facebook groups first should you do it.... 

In Dapol’s defence, I’m fairly sure that they will have got the correct Paint codes from our mutual friend who worked for O&K.

What is silver other than metallic grey?

I am a bit worried looking at the new painted samples that are missing the second NRN pod. But they are just paint samples. The shots out of the mould may well have had the wrong slides applied.

Fingers crossed for the pods to be correct on the production samples (the pods were correct on the older, incorrectly coloured, decorated samples).

The ARC mustard looks much better. Looks a bit like BS4800 10-D-44 if I’m not very much mistaken… 😆

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The last update from Dapol, in the Dapol digest, from mid April, advised that production was underway 'slowly' due to the effects of Covid and electrical supply shortages in China. They advised that the models were about to start manual printing, which would indicate that all plastic moulding is done and painting is complete.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

After reading Rail express article on 59s I decided to break out my Hornby/Lima 59s I dcc'd up a couple of yrs ago and that have been in storage for 2 yrs.. surprisingly they worked faultlessly. I remember thinking at the time when completing them how ironic it would be if the Dapol version broke cover!! As then it was 2018... Here we are in 22'.. those Hornby  motors ain't that bad after all..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mooresby said:

Dipole Digest also making noises about an August delivery "being achievable" - here's hoping...

Just as long as a container ship doesn't try a 3-point turn in the Suez canal...........................

• Funny 4

On 26/07/2022 at 20:33, Mooresby said:

Dipole Digest also making noises about an August delivery "being achievable" - here's hoping...

I'd not be holding my breath, when they are here - they are here, not before then......

• Like 1

As ive said further up thread, if these are in production then i would expect a small number of each model to be flown over in advance of the main batch for publicity photos and magazine reviews etc etc

The fact we've not so much as seen a photo of a completed example that will appear on the shelves doesn't fill me with much hope.

I hope to be wrong but my money is on seeing a Revolution N scale 59 in the shops before Dapols 00 gauge version.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

As ive said further up thread, if these are in production then i would expect a small number of each model to be flown over in advance of the main batch for publicity photos and magazine reviews etc etc

Only really seems to be Bachmann (and to a lesser degree Hornby) that do that. Can't think of any time Dapol has air freighted review samples ahead of the main batch of a model.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Kaput said:

Only really seems to be Bachmann (and to a lesser degree Hornby) that do that. Can't think of any time Dapol has air freighted review samples ahead of the main batch of a model.

They seem to have received production samples, as Joel of Dapol, advised on the Digest three weeks ago, that they were checking production samples at that time and if ok, shipping would commence within days. They may not however, release these for reviews.

• RMweb Premium
On 26/07/2022 at 22:37, newbryford said:

Just as long as a container ship doesn't try a 3-point turn in the Suez canal...........................

Or lose 55 containers overboard as recently happened 🤦‍♂️ Would be sods law