drax/Hornby biomass wagons

cheesysmith

Aside from any promotional models that Drax will issue to corporate contacts etc the wagon will only be available via retail through Hatton's (Drax haven't the resources for the distribution) who have just announced the product codes and pricing on their website.

R6723_3204938_Qty1_cat.jpg

Hornby R6723 Drax 102t biomass hopper in Drax 'Swoosh' livery - Produced for Drax power station - Limited to 1000 - Available only from Hatton's - £83.00

http://www.ehattons.com/172341/Hornby_R6723_Drax_102t_biomass_hopper_in_Drax_Swoosh_livery_Produced_for_Drax_power_station_/StockDetail.aspx

Hornby R6724 Drax 102t biomass hopper in Drax 'powering tomorrow' livery - Produced for Drax power station - Limited to 1000 - Available only from Hatton's - £83.00

http://www.ehattons.com/172342/Hornby_R6724_Drax_102t_biomass_hopper_in_Drax_powering_tomorrow_livery_Produced_for_Drax_pow/StockDetail.aspx

The comparatively high price is due to the limited run commissioned by Drax with the associated cost, no-one's making any huge margin on it and it is very definitely a one-off opportunity as the tooling is not owned by Hornby and isn't likely to be used other than this publicity run.

Hatton's will be receiving deliveries in the next week or so.

If the tooling is made, why not use it properly? No modeller is just going to want to buy one or two, but very few will be able to afford even half a dozen. Where did the figure of 1000 come from? Has any kind of market research been done, I wonder? These make the latest batch of Bachmann Polybulk wagons look like a bargain!

The comparatively high price is due to the limited run commissioned by Drax with the associated cost

£83.00 is insane for one wagon.  As most modellers are at least going to require a small handful (4 or 5 maybe?), why not simply produce a larger run at a reasonable price?

Can't blame Hornby for taking the commission. Cash up front and don't have to negotiate licencing etc.

Drax aren't interested in supplying modellers, its more of a marketing/vanity exercise.   

Pity a model shop hadn't commissioned them, then price and numbers would probably be different.

I'd have thought there would be an opportunity here to make a few quid for the commissioner.

If further production runs could bring the cost down closer to perhaps £60 that they could sell quite a few more and gain free advertising at model railways shows with full rakes on the layouts. £83 is pretty high for multiple purchases

Because Drax aren't aiming to be a manufacturer/commissioning retailer etc. and it's different circumstances than may normally prevail.

But, understandably, they've delegated the business of dealing with us weird railway modellers to Hattons.

As things stand, the models are going to be rather useless. A rake of two or three will look a bit silly, but very few of us will be able to afford any more.

Drax is a business, so you would think that they would be interested in trying to maximise the return on their investment.

Perhaps Hattons could offer to buy the tooling and produce another batch at a more realistic price?

Because Drax aren't aiming to be a manufacturer/commissioning retailer etc. and it's different circumstances than may normally prevail. 

Quite understandable - so perhaps one of our other manufacturers should make Drax an offer for the tooling; I'm surprised that Hornby aren't doing exactly that.

.... or perhaps the corporate gift / vanity thing doesn't work if Joe Bloggs can afford to by them ?!?

In many ways, it might have been better if the whole project could have been a private commission, with none at all available to railway modellers. It's bound to leave a sour taste when the tool could have been used to satisfy demand at an affordable price.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The potential profit to be made from selling future runs of these will be negligable to Drax and most probably this run will be cost neutral to Drax as the cost of the ones given away by Drax will be subsidised by what modellers pay for their models.

I personally rather welcome this. These wagons are very niche and thus would of never appeared in a manufacturers catalogue. I wonder shall other railway operators be watching this with an eye to commission corporate gifts, with a minimum order needed for Hornby or Dapol or Bachmann to cover costs of production.

I think knowing these are only ever to be made, makes them exclusive and I shall wait until Drax confirm they shall not sell the tooling to a manufacturer before I buy.

A cool £664 for eight better mean they shall never be made again!