Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

Jesus what a mess! I'm holiding on to my Hornby Virgin MK3s until the Oxford ones actually reach the shops to physcially compare the livery application. I'm a bit lost on what to do with the Scotrail issue now - I have 47710 and intended to get a Bachmann DBSO but without anything to go in the middle it's a bit useless. I'm going to cancel my pre-orders too.

• Like 1

The tone of blue looks better in that second set of photos.

if its just the colour of paint to change, and its to be used in the same places on the livery diagram I wouldn't have thought it difficult to change. But if a few thousand are to be produced I'd think another pre-production sample would be worth making first.

When I spoke to the bloke on the OR stand at Glasgow, he was adamant that their colours were correct and we were wrong. Got the impression that OR would not be backing down on this issue. The blue and grey ones on display looked spot on to my eye though.

Here we go again.....

How simple would it have been to stand the livery samples beside the 47/7 they bought at Glasgow, and then everyone could easily compare the two models side by side in a single photo....

Then there would be no doubt they matched....

As it stands i’m Moving towards cancelling my order until i’m Reassured by a independent review of the colour matching...

I mean, it’s not rocket science.....

• RMweb Premium

Already cancelled my pre-orders a few months back over the shape, but if I hadn't, I would have done it now over the livery.

As for waiting for an independent review, I think rmweb is as independent as it gets... 

• RMweb Premium

Just cancelled my ore order. Hope the message gets through (via Hattons in my case) that even if OR think they have got the livery right and Bachmann haven’t, the likelihood is that most of us want something that matches and Bachmann ScotRail liveried 47s have been around a while.

i'm liking the fact that many are cancelling orders pending further reviews/seeing the coaches in the flesh.

We are not laden with cash to spend so manufacturers need to know that if we are to buy their products then they need to get the basics such as shape and colours right or pay the price of warehouse shelves staying full.   Lets hope that scotrail versions have not ended their run and that the paint shop can amend to new artwork colours.  if the whole batch has got the green light and is now on a ship to the UK then I wish OR all the best in selling them.  

Could do with somebody taking a Bachmann 47/7 ScotRail loco along to an exhibition where OR have the coaches on show to compare side by side with photographic evidence.

The more I look at the pictures the more the underframe between the bodies grates on me. It reminds me of the lima class 156 effort - far too square and the angle just doesn't look right. Even if they've got all the components and grilles in the right places it looks far less convincing than the Hornby and lima versions.

i'm liking the fact that many are cancelling orders pending further reviews/seeing the coaches in the flesh.

We are not laden with cash to spend so manufacturers need to know that if we are to buy their products then they need to get the basics such as shape and colours right or pay the price of warehouse shelves staying full.   Lets hope that scotrail versions have not ended their run and that the paint shop can amend to new artwork colours.  if the whole batch has got the green light and is now on a ship to the UK then I wish OR all the best in selling them.  

Could do with somebody taking a Bachmann 47/7 ScotRail loco along to an exhibition where OR have the coaches on show to compare side by side with photographic evidence.

Agree with all the above, as previously commented Ox Rail purchased a L/E 47 708 Waverley at MRS Glasgow in Feb presumably to colour match, there have also been many comments that the colours on the INTERCITY versions were also questionable, but they just don't appear to have considered any of it!

I'm presently considering cancelling my pre-order also...

• Like 1

it might seem callous to state what I have stated but weve seen this time and time again in recnt years some manfacturers ask for feedback some don't but here if they asked for it and haven't paid a blind bit of attention and those colours are wrong then you can see where I am coming from.  they should not be selling product with patent errors that they were aware of long before final sign off.

I tell you what had Hornbys painted samples of the new Class 87 electric been poor I would have badgered them for as long as I had a hole in my posterior until they got the samples correct.  Had the yellow for example been turned out in the same vividly lemon yellow that Dapol stuck onto their 00 gauge Class 73 I would not have been impressed and that would have led me to cancel my pre-orders.

Once you have sign off on paint specs I really don't know how easy it is once an error is admitted for "a person" to walk onto the production line shop floor ,  press the stop button and have the paints re-specced to correct the error.   You'd think in this day and age at that point it would be correct and all errors picked up and ironed out before final sign off........

I know the discussion has previously covered the lack of silver window frames on these ScotRail coaches but hells teeth, Lima managed this very nicely back in the 80s granted the frames were more pronounced but technology has moved on in nearly 40 years. Surely the frames could have been printed?   It appears to make the dark grey background even darker but maybe that's the trick it plays on the eye or at least my eye.   I can see the prices of those Limas coaches increasing on ebay unless OR address this or post better photos if the earlier ones are not giving a fair or accurate reflection of the actual colours.

I still think the No Smoking roundels look huge too........lots to like about the coaches but a few things to let them down.  The coach is only as strong as its weakest link !

Edited by ThaneofFife

• RMweb Premium

It’s a shame. They could have been so good but looks like the might fall at final hurdle. I’m glad I picked up a Harburn Lima set on eBay at a good price now , complete with metal window surrounds .

It’s a shame. They could have been so good but looks like the might fall at final hurdle. I’m glad I picked up a Harburn Lima set on eBay at a good price now , complete with metal window surrounds .

I wonder how many gambled that the OR MK3 would be head and shoulders above the Hornby/Lima version, and sold them?
  • Like 1

Sorry for being a bit lazy, just wanted to know in a nutshell what are the errors and drawbacks of the OR Mk3s. With Hornby upgrading their's I'd like to make a good comparison before I choose

Hornby are upgrading their Mk3s? are they???

Sorry for being a bit lazy, just wanted to know in a nutshell what are the errors and drawbacks of the OR Mk3s. With Hornby upgrading their's I'd like to make a good comparison before I choose

You think?

Given the fiasco over the Mk3 restaurant sans vents, the Mk2e with a fictional solebar and now the Mk2d TSO with a seven bay FO bodyshell, Hornby's track record on post 1968 coaching stock is slapdash and careless compared to the fetish-like attention given to their steam age stock, so I would expect any "upgrades" (which as far as I am aware haven't been announced) to be a backward step at best. In fact it wouldn't surprise me in the least if any upgrades result in them dusting off the underscale shorty Mk3s they first released back in the 1970s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My advice is that if they look right to your eyes then buy the Oxford versions as they have some lovely details and are cracking value. Personally I don't like the underside or doors and there are some livery issues but overall I would rate them ahead of the alternatives. If they were £50-60 I would be disappointed and it's a shame they aren't the definitive mk. 3 we hoped that they would be but at the price they I think they are a good buy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Who said Hornby are upgrading theirs? They are adding NEM pockets but that’s all I have heard about.

They are adding NEM pockets but that’s all I have heard about.

And I'm not sure that is even confirmed by Hornby? I know it was suggested on a thread on here that there was an upgrade to the couplings planned to include the pockets but there's nothing on the Hornby site to suggest this is the case and the images on the site look like the original coupling. Unless I missed it the official announcement.

The INTERCITY TRFB still shows incorrect artwork and having a full length yellow first class stripe (should be either red or light grey above the buffet section depending on timeframes) and if it turns up like this on the model then it only add's more fuel to wombatofludham's post above, which I tend to agree with. Mk.3s are now due in August so I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.