Modelling diesels.....does anyone do both sides differently?

Diesels have different grille panels etc on each side so have to be different on each side to be authentic

But most, if not all have the same numerals each side otherwise identification would be somewhat problematic, which is what the OP was referring to. I don't see anywhere where he is referring to grilles etc. What he is suggesting is a different identity each side, e.g. 37052 on one side and 37017 on the other

I've done it in the past. With BR blue/TOPS Era you just have to make sure your headcode boxes are accurate for both numbers - i.e. plated in, or twin dots, or "0000".

I intend to do it again, with my Heljan O class 31. It'll be the same number each side, but one side will carry the short-lived 'Finsbury Park' white stripe treatment.

Might be trickier for more modern liveries where they put the loco number on the nose as well.

Another thing I do sometimes is weather each side differently as well. As the roof rarely gets cleaned that can match the dirtier side & still look ok on the clean side.

The main concern I would have about doing each side with different numbers etc, is whether or not you can see both sides of the loco during operations; i.e.as it goes around a curve, or on a turntable. Not such an issue on a straight shunty-plank.

Not intentionally. What'll usually happens is new loco comes onto the workbench and I shall ascertain which side the factory has done the best job on. Orange stripe and printed details etc.

I'll then have a go at taking the printed numbers off, a piece of cake on yellow end numbers, but sometimes a lottery on cabsides. The least buggered up side then gets renumbering, weathering and if required 'plates. The other side doesn't get touched.

When I was regularly loaning a fleet to an exhibition digital depot layout I added a yellow sticker with the dcc address number on the non viewing cabside for the benefit of the operators. This also had the secondary implied indication that: "THIS SIDE IS NOT FOR VIEWING!"

My thoughts when I came back from a leg stretch to find the yellow stickers on full public display by one "colleague" don't bear repetition...

C6T.

Yes, my idea was that, in this day of increasingly expensive models, and VERY expensive "O" gauge models, why shouldn't we have, say a Western as 1005 on one side and 1007 on the other? Especially if you have a depot type layout

I haven't done it yet but have considered different liveries as well. I intend some of my SR emus to be all over blue on one side and blue/grey on the other. That way I can double my fleet which will allow me to model different time frames i.e. late 60s-late 70s and late 70s-late 80s. On my layout you can only see one side at a time.

cheers

Shane

I have seen scale length HST's like this. Virgin on one side and midland mainline on the other. The exhibtion layout i saw it on had 4 different HST's but only two trains (virgin-midland mainline and virgin/GNER. And as one side always faced the operator the viewing public were none the wiser.

• RMweb Premium

Operating Dagworth.

"Clive can you take the Norwich."

"Oi Andi, it won't go"

"Put the number in the handset"

" I have done, several times"

" No not that number the one on the other side".

It is a wonderful idea that some diesel or electric locos can carry two identities, but as you can see it can a a drawback with DCC.

When I first saw the topic "....does anyone do both sides differently?". I take it Jeff you haven't built an MTK kit where the two sides are different lengths, and neither the right length.   

Years ago I did a tender drive Hornby Schools in Southern malachite, SOUTHERN on one side and BRITISH RAILWAYS on the other.  I think its a great way to double your stock.  

Occasionally I daydream of a Terminus to ballon loop.  Where trains could leave in BR green, go round the loop and come back as blood and custard....

• RMweb Gold

I haven't done it yet but have considered different liveries as well. I intend some of my SR emus to be all over blue on one side and blue/grey on the other. That way I can double my fleet which will allow me to model different time frames i.e. late 60s-late 70s and late 70s-late 80s. On my layout you can only see one side at a time.

cheers

Shane

A mate of mine did this donkeys years ago with Tri-ang Mk1s. The sides came out easily so he bought half a train in crimson/cream and half in green, then swapped to suit. He later did the same with chocolate/cream and maroon examples.

His layout was a "round the walls" oval with operating well in the middle so we only saw the chosen side.

John

I'm sure there used to be a real 37 that was metals subsector on one side and petroleum subsector on the other!

I did once put the idea that if you had a terminus layout, and the trains turned off scene (balloon loop, giant tuntable) then if you had, for example, a 50 and mk2s, paint them NSE on one side and blue/grey on the other then it won't look as if the same train has come straight back out.

• RMweb Premium

There is a prototype for it too. In Germany, the Nord-Oostseebahn have a MaK co-co diesel with different liveries on each side.

As for modelling, if you run out of a particular digit when renumbering, rather than buy another (expensive) sheet of transferrs, you could use a diffrent number on the other side.

• RMweb Gold

I've done it with a few wagons, it a simple way to expand the variety of stock you have. As long as the base colour is the same, I'll do early 30's one side, late 30's the other, or pre and post grouping.

On my model of the preserved Severn Valley Railway I've adopted this ruse for my EE Class 50 diesels.

So I have a large logo liveried model as 50031 Hood and 50049 Defiance, and a plain blue one as 50035 Ark Royal and 50044 Exeter. I'm unlikely to ever want more than 2 50s running at a time, and it's rare on the real SVR too!

I use the lower number for the DCC address - i.e. 0031 and 0035. I don't believe there's a way to configure a chip to respond to more than one address.

I'm actually still waiting for a replacement circuit board from Hornby for my plain blue version, as it has the flawed original release version, so it's languishing in Kidderminster yard at the moment with neither a DCC chip or a blanking plate in.

Archived