Warley NEC Exhibition November 26th and 27th 2016

Barry O

• RMweb Gold

There's a lot of people enjoy Warley and have been going back for years ;)

Most show venues don't put spotlights where every layout will be, they don't hoover all the dust off the loco shed floor, they don't install big ventilation fans in said tin shed for one hot summers day, they don't have parking right next to the door where your layout goes.

As a result when I show a layout I have a lighting rig, track cleaner, 18inch fan in Summer and a trolley and I enjoy going to or exhibiting at shows.

I've usually gone to Warley by shared car but this year no one else is free so the train works out cheaper, problem solved and I look forward to a day out on Saturday ;)

Well said that man!

Feeling a mixture of smugness and relief this end having spent the last two months getting a decent lighting rig set up at last.

As usual, it will no doubt be a struggle to get away from the layout to see the other exhibits, but if I do get the chance, I'm making a beeline for Al's Bridge at Remagen. That looks to be a remarkable piece of work.

Not bad. I saved only a few pounds only - London Midland wants 20£ from me - I purchased the tickets for 18 at the trainline.com. And for the parking I make my usual trick - instead of Milton Keynes I use Bletchley - costs half of the MK parking fee...

Why would you buy a rail ticket from the trainline (who charge a booking fee and charge for postage)?

Why not buy exactly the same ticket(s) from a TOC website (who dont charge a booking fee or postage charges) or order the tickets and collect them from a self service ticket machine at the station.

• RMweb Premium

I'm a Warley virgin attending for the first time this year. Still debating what's best. The direct train from Flint in North Wales would be £37 return, would avoid parking fee and save wear n tear on the car and me (I drive enough during the week without a 200 mile trip on a weekend)

Would mean I have to visit on Saturday the downside being this is the busy day, the upside I guess, is that is when the bargains will be (e.g. the BRM mag subscription loco on a first come/first served basis).

Had orignially planned to visit on the Sunday, but not a good day for travelling by train.

Only worry now is that never having been before, is that the train would restrict what goodies I could buy/carry whereas the car would at least allow the opportunity to nip out with purchases to fill the car boot. Decisions, decisions!

I see on the NEC website that they say there are cloakrooms/left luggage at each hall. Anyone know if these are open at weekends? Would prefer to dump any shopping while I view the layouts and not be weighed down by bags etc.

• RMweb Gold

Why would you buy a rail ticket from the trainline (who charge a booking fee and charge for postage)?

Why not buy exactly the same ticket(s) from a TOC website (who dont charge a booking fee or postage charges) or order the tickets and collect them from a self service ticket machine at the station.

Probably because he read the bit on the MSE page about the supporting the split ticket site that saved him the money and decided to help others? There's no postage, you pick it up at the station ticket machines.

;)

Trying to bring more positive elements maybe it's worth passing on recommendations for layouts or stands worth seeing (as there's too much for one pair of eyes in a day)?

My personal 'want to sees' are

Mara Harbour B17A - I want to see milocomarty's greenery!

Llawryglyn D34 - Lovely little Cambrian layout with very neat EM trackwork.

The Bridge at Remagen B59 - Al's excellent Rhineland scene.

Gweek North Quay E09 - Excellent Cornish scene

Loftus Road C36 - James Makin's superb garage and shops.

• RMweb Premium
I see on the NEC website that they say there are cloakrooms/left luggage at each hall. Anyone know if these are open at weekends? Would prefer to dump any shopping while I view the layouts and not be weighed down by bags etc.

There are certainly cloakrooms open, right next to the show hall entrance (cue a bit of embarrassment for me a couple of years ago when I lost my cloakroom ticket). I'm not sure about somewhere to dump shopping.

• RMweb Gold

Everything for my demo stand is packed, or at least I hope it is!

Off to fill the Car with Diesel, Wallet with Cash and then I'll be ready for the drive tomorrow.

Look forward to seeing many RMwebbers on Stand A56 - "Semaphore Signals Construction & Operation".

Steve.

• RMweb Premium

Decision made, I'm getting the train. A direct train from Flint to BHI. At 3 hours though, just hoping it's a Class 175 and not a 150 :O

Will get me there for 10:00 and I've book the 18:09 return (change Shresbury) so should have a full day to enjoy the show, all being well.

• RMweb Premium

Oil Drum Lane (A42) all ready for loading into hire van tomorrow morning.

Looking forward to great weekend a good lunch on the way down for the team.

Eltel

Decision made, I'm getting the train. A direct train from Flint to BHI. At 3 hours though, just hoping it's a Class 175 and not a 150 :O

Will get me there for 10:00 and I've book the 18:09 return (change Shresbury) so should have a full day to enjoy the show, all being well.

Arent they normally 158s?

You will need every minute you can get because there is so many good/excellent/fantastic layouts to see and 'essentials' to buy.

• RMweb Gold

There are certainly cloakrooms open, right next to the show hall entrance (cue a bit of embarrassment for me a couple of years ago when I lost my cloakroom ticket). I'm not sure about somewhere to dump shopping.

last year it was £1 an item which is pretty good, i dropped off my work lodge bag for the day

scottish exile: would it not be quicker to change at chester, crewe and new st (or if your lucky get the edinburgh-london via west mids from crewe direct to NEC) rather than go round the houses via shrewsbury?

08:15 off flint 10:39 in international, gets you an extra 1 1/4 lie in over the 06:59 train

• RMweb Premium

Checked my credit card statement to be sure - I paid 21£75 for 2 tickets return on the 24th of September.

If I buy the ticket now at London Midlands I pay 20£ per ticket.

Probably I could have saved 1.75 as this was the commission plus delivery. But this way I could sit on my bo...m and got the tickets per post.

I am still happy that I thought about it in advance and saved some cash to invest in the railway model industry...

Vecchio

• RMweb Premium

Some shows at the NEC have a "shop and drop" facility but AFAIK Warley doesn't.

There are cloaks by most show entrances the one for hall 5 right between the Starbuck's kiosk and the door.

(Occasionally I have used one by the Motorcycle show when it's busy at hall 5)

This from the NEC page:

hanger.png
Leave it with us | Cloakrooms and lost property

When loading up on goodies at events, the last thing you need is excess baggage. So why not drop off your bags, coats and luggage at our cloakrooms, which can be found adjacent to our halls. Items are charged at £1 each. Please note, due to overwhelming demand we’re unable to offer cloakroom facilities in the Genting Arena. In the interests of safety and security overnight storage is also not possible. Sorry.

Keith

My handy hint for Warley:

Trains at the close of the show are stupidly crowded. Take a trip over to the airport on the cable railway thingy and grab some dinner - I like Fankie and Benny's spagbog. When you get back an hour later, the trains are a LOT quieter.

Some shows at the NEC have a "shop and drop" facility but AFAIK Warley doesn't.

There are cloaks by most show entrances the one for hall 5 right between the Starbuck's kiosk and the door.

(Occasionally I have used one by the Motorcycle show when it's busy at hall 5)

This from the NEC page:

hanger.png
Leave it with us | Cloakrooms and lost property

When loading up on goodies at events, the last thing you need is excess baggage. So why not drop off your bags, coats and luggage at our cloakrooms, which can be found adjacent to our halls. Items are charged at £1 each. Please note, due to overwhelming demand we’re unable to offer cloakroom facilities in the Genting Arena. In the interests of safety and security overnight storage is also not possible. Sorry.

Keith

Most traders will be happy to hold stock until the end of the show, but you risk forgetting it. I've done this in the past, though using a scooter these days means I don't need to worry so much.

This year I will be on the DEMU stand on the Saturday all day, and visiting as a punter on the Sunday.

Have you got an advance ticket? You could get in earlier than 10:00 if you have.

An hour or so ago I saw Betton Grange making her way down the M6 to the NEC where she will be the centrepiece loco.

In order to help planning, just a reminder that while the main Bachmann stand will be in its usual place near the show entrance, the Bachmann sales stand will be right at the other end of the hall in the far right hand corner. Only the fittest will get first pick!

• RMweb Premium

An hour or so ago I saw Betton Grange making her way down the M6 to the NEC where she will be the centrepiece loco.

In order to help planning, just a reminder that while the main Bachmann stand will be in its usual place near the show entrance, the Bachmann sales stand will be right at the other end of the hall in the far right hand corner. Only the fittest will get first pick!

I see what you mean - stand E42 in the catering area as far away from the entrance as possible . . . .

Hall Plan here http://thewarleyshow.co.uk/pdf/Hall%20Plan%202016.pdf

• RMweb Premium

scottish exile: would it not be quicker to change at chester, crewe and new st (or if your lucky get the edinburgh-london via west mids from crewe direct to NEC) rather than go round the houses via shrewsbury?

08:15 off flint 10:39 in international, gets you an extra 1 1/4 lie in over the 06:59 train

Yup, I looked at options but cheapest was to stick to Arriva Trains Wales rather than London Midland/Virgin. Flint offers free parking so preferred over Chester. On the way there it's a direct service so head down snooze time. The 18.09 return would be a change at Shrewsbury or going by an earlier comment that trains at this time are rammed, then I may grab some eats and get the 19.09 direct to Chester and then a short hop to Flint.

Have you got an advance ticket? You could get in earlier than 10:00 if you have.

No, didn't book an advance as I couldn't decide which day to go.

• RMweb Premium

So the hundred yard dash is now more of a 400m jog.

I hope there'll be stewards lined up en route with trays of drinks, oranges and sponges to dish out.

Maybe some form of tape across the finish line too?

btw i've no interest in the actual sales stand, i just found the mad sprint at opening rather funny last year...

I thought I might make my first visit to Warley on Sunday but I noticed that the car parking charges are £12 for two hours, with no mention that I could see of being able to stay longer at any price. OK so look at the railway; just under £44 for the fare from Kenton to Birmingham International and return. Someone's taking the mick here.

I take a look at UK Model Shops webpage and find http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/13839-LetchworthModelRailwaySocietyExhibition . I went last year, really nice local model railway exhibition.

Sorry, but I won't be going to Warley

Archived