Trainspotting TV Show

Andy Y

That's why they put it on now as we've just voted to leave Europe so it will no longer cover us.

The BBC should do more research and spend more time preparing for these sort of programs, it was so basic it can only get better
​(one hopes). If this show was supposed to dispel any steriotypes people have for rail enphusiasts then it didn't really work. 

attachicon.gifimage.png

It's behind you! Lmfao.

Anoraks, overweight guys and beards; pencils and notebooks.  All that's missing are the ABC's,  guaranteed to reinforce the publics general perception.  Perhaps not PC but that's the image spotters have to bear.

No doubt some wag will think of a caption for the picture

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

That bloke on the platform at Doncaster , banging on about how good the 66 is and that it has roller bearings all round!?!?

Other than some early 24s with athermos boxes all mainline diesels were roller bearings

Next time I'm on a 66 either sweating or freezing my balls off I'll remember that I'm on roller bearings and feel great about it..... not!

I didn't watch it initially because the title "Train Spotters" is quite cringe worthy in my oppinion so caught up with a little bit on iPlayer after seeing good feedback on social media, but goodness me, my cringe factor had gone through the roof, espically the guy in Fort William... "Heres the Black 5 with a rake of BR MK1's"; and the ONLY coach you see is a MK2 :nono:

Anoraks, overweight guys and beards; pencils and notebooks.  All that's missing are the ABC's,  guaranteed to reinforce the publics general perception.  Perhaps not PC but that's the image spotters have to bear.

No doubt some wag will think of a caption for the picture.

This picture comes ready-captioned:

1650_8336_w300.jpg

I bet all commuters on the SOUTHERN trains network were glued to the screens and will have their notebooks to the fore waiting ten deep in the pixxing rain tomorrow morning at 06-00 at Surbiton !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gordon Bennett - this "show" nearly put me off trains for life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

It was a programme supposed to be focussing on the class 66, of which there are a lot and many people will have seen one. Instead of Didcot perhaps they should have been based at a depot that has a few 66s parked up from a few operators? The livery is a key thing that the casual observer will see so it would have been nice to seen a variety close up and shiny, not some rather dodgy photos and outside in twilight. Surely the programme could have gone out an hour earlier when there was better light?

I can go on the web and watch train movements in real time. This programme was supposed to be live - why not show us where Evening Star was, give its train reporting code and give the link for viewers to track it at home.

The 66 is in railway terms a modern machine so perhaps they could have shown us inside one? We did not even get to see what is in the cab! Lots of mention of Evening Star, but no mention of why it is the last one and why they are not making any more.

They called the programme Trainspotting, but no attempt made to justify the name. If they are trying to attract non-railway enthusiast viewers with the name it is only going to appeal to the over eighties. Anyone younger will be used to it as a derogatory term.

This was so wrong in so many ways. When the highlight was Poor old Dick Strawbridge not spotting a shed it is a sad day.

It was an hour filled with vacuousness, they did not even show the black 5 running round and compare it to not having to run round a multiple unit.

• RMweb Premium

:offtopic:

Article 3 of the European Convention on Human Rights "prohibits torture, and inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment". Well it has just been breached by the makers of the BBC4 programme "Trainspotting Live"

Well that protection has now been lost.
Sorry- wrong thread.

Not an EU institution.

Keith

I bet all commuters on the SOUTHERN trains network were glued to the screens and will have their notebooks to the fore waiting ten deep in the pixxing rain tomorrow morning at 06-00 at Surbiton !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gordon Bennett - this "show" nearly put me off trains for life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

No, because Surbiton's not on the Southern network....

oh dear oh dear - so many missed opportunities - too strained, too bitty, reminded me of J May's building a mini  but nowhere as bad – at least it did not cut away to another presenter doing nothing every time something interesting started to happen. Was it all supposed to be live as of today - they did miss the rather interesting set of coaches behind 66732 at beginning. These appeared to be the Mk1 stock and loco for the West Somerset Rambler (IZ62 09 July 16 ex Cardiff) so ecs or perhaps some timeshift license there? Either way comment should have been made

As the programme includes non-trainspotting aspects why not go the whole hog, There are  surely some articulate enthusiasts who can talk about railways. It really required a couple of themes to join it all together. e.g. How about an engineer to advise on what the network rail HST actually does and the onboard technology. Dr Hannah could to talk about the maths involved, she could even talk to a real (or P4 :jester: ) engineer about the rail track interface and its role in enabling rolling stock  to stay on track/go round curves (would make s=ut look like childs play) and the experiments involved  e.g. APT-E !,

Peter Snow could have verbosed for UK on how times have changed (It is a sort of nostalgia programme after all) e.g. society changes, the use of digital cameras/video/Youtube, recording of numbers onto handheld devices. How the number of locos has declined dramatically since days of steam but how utilisation has rocketed so that locos are far wider travelled and actually you may well stand a better chance of seeing  a wide range of them. How you go on line to research what you have seen or could see; how many Class 56 are still in work and why quote “they were needed” unquote. How have trains changed in type, size and speed over the years – how you can see freight doing 60mph plus and 40 bogie wagon stone trains equivalent to 100 wagonplus coal trains (which rarely if ever ran in the past, even empty due to layby lengths and pathetic motive power  etc)   - and how this compares with early postwar years. You could contrast that with the olden days. There weren’t many digital toys when I were a lad (dominos clogs territory here??!!)....when the waits between trains was interminable and some people (no names  ...) used to flatten pennies (the rich  - us poor only had farthings) on the EC mainline under the wheel of Gresley Pacifics. , even now I can remember how infrequent expresses appeared to be on both the Eastern Region and at Dauntsey –those long pauses when nothing appeared (they got that bit right!!) are seared on my memory. No wonder many of us gave it up.

Still as an optimist only two more to go - and it could just be scenesettingitis but it did appear they had flung it together without detailed research beforehand.

Okay, I have got my pen, notebook, anorak and rucksack, off out now for a night on Pwllheli Station, wonder how many 66's I will see roaring up to the buffer stops, but I live in hope, just downloaded a smart phone app so I can send in the video of a 66 to the show.

Best regards

Craig.

• RMweb Premium

Half an hour into it and I'm bored on the phone looking at RMWeb! A load of old guys and beards galore...not the hipster Hollister type either, you just want to reach for a shaver!!

It would've been a much better programme if it wasn't live, so the shots can be edited to show the intended subject (ie the Class 66 subject) and less of these dull dull people!

If I'm thinking this as a railway person you can only imagine what normal people must be thinking!

Anyway...the fantastic line "back to Doncaster where Dick spotting continues"...£10 says that'll be on Scott Mills' Innuendo Bingo tomorrow!!

Hanna, on calculating how quickly you can read a number from 10m away: "there goes 6203".   Another specsavers job!

The whole thing was bitty and weak in presentation.

Princess Margaret Rose must have returned to steam in BR blue then!!!

On the subject of female mathematicians - would the delectable Rachel Riley have made the same mistake???

If  Sick Drawbridge had spent all day at Doncaster, he would have seen the Flying Banana go through about 10.40 on it's way from Heaton to Cambridge via Kings Cross.

He was talking to a trainspotter and missed it!!

Archived