Trainspotting TV Show

Andy Y

jonny777, on 12 Jul 2016 - 10:41, said:

What this is, is a Springwatch or Stargazing Live type of programme; but centred on railways.

But in those programmes you've got wildlife and astronomy experts educating the uninformed and broadening the knowledge of those with some understanding. This did neither, probably through poor ideas on what the programme was actually meant to achieve.

C6T.

How do you know it didn't broaden some peoples' knowledge? Surely, you can't have asked them all this quickly?

The wildlife and astronomy 'live' programmes have lots of money spent on them, whereas this appeared to be a low budget version.

I stand by my comment that it is "a Springwatch or Stargazing Live type of programme; but centred on railways."  It is just that those two programmes are relatively long standing events with a set agenda. Even if a Jay picks off the Great Tit fledglings as they appear out of the nest-box (a breeding disaster for the tits) it can be turned into a big wildlife event.

You have to remember that trainspotting is the butt of tabloid jokes, far more than birdspotting and supernova spotting.

Therefore the presenters have to adopt a rather naive approach in order to show that railway enthusiasts are laid-back ordinary people with a self deprecating sense of humour. Some of the comments on this thread have illustrated what a difficult job they are going have, to sell the hobby to 'white-van-man' and his family.

It is not Peter Snow's fault that he never saw anything other than a class 66 on the freight trains. Maybe a 70 will turn up tonight?

I only watched the first 15 minutes, which normally is not enough to judge on an hour long program,  but I just could not stand anymore, I was cringing right from the start. Dumbed down TV, so unlike BBC4.

What on earth is the point in doing this LIVE. Live television should be for sport and news.

Do the presenters normally work on Cbeebies.

• RMweb Premium

There were some highlights...............the Class 66 running unnoticed past the two presenters wibbling ferociously about Class 66s amused me, as did the much anticipated appearance of the black 5 in Scotland. Deathly silence ensued as it came along tender first!. The best bits though were the visits to Doncaster where Hairy Steve Plowman could be seen lurking in the background, proving that even the spotters were ringers!!  I might even give it another go tonight.

What a lot of Bar room experts we are. Maybe we should all turn up at at wherever the programmes are being broadcast from tonight and start barracking the presenters & guests.

Anyone up for showing their ar$es to camera? Boris?... BORIS?...

P

P.s. Is this the busiest thread on RM web at the mo? Maybe the BBC will consider commissioning a series of RMweb live? Mr Shouty Macshoutface to present?

I thought the last time the BBC did a feature on railway modellers was the very sympathetic Time Shift "The Joy of Train Sets" from 2013. Was this radio sketch more recent?

Think it was last year

EDIT - spelling

• RMweb Premium

It occurs to me that if they had filmed this around the "Southern" notwork, there might not have been anything to watch....  :O

A lot of irate commuters, which in terms of drama ,excitement, unpredictability and sheer menace could probably give Casualty a run for it's money.

A lot of irate commuters, which in terms of drama ,excitement, unpredictability and sheer menace could probably give Casualty a run for it's money.

Yes, this topic does look a bit like that. 

I  spent much of the programme cringing with shame  and as someone who works for the Railway and enjoy the history and culture of the railway I felt considerable embarrassment that the programme simply reinforced the views of general public that being a railway enthusiast means collecting train numbers.

Thinking back to the 60's I also collected numbers, visited many loco sheds, lines, stations etc - BUT although I underlined in a "Combined Volume" & later in Locoshed books, which I still have. I never got too interested or fussy regarding "cops" (new numbers, not those in uniform - hopefully). For me the interest was just in being near / observing / riding on trains.Heaven for me was head out of the window behind a Jubilee going up The Long Drag, or mucky Black 5's around Wigan & Manchester and after 1968 listening to hard working Peaks, Brush 4's Big D's etc. "Bug Boxes" (DMU's) I hated back then, unless I got the seat behind the driver's cab !.

I always recorded the loco pulling my train from 1963 up to around 1975 or so - never bothered afterwards, and I still have this book. Most summers in the mid 70's a week off work with a Midland or all line rover just burning the miles. I even stopped taking photos back then - just rode the rails. Wish now I hadn't !!

Still, we all do different things to enjoy our hobby.

Confession - Last Friday my twin daughters went on a school day trip to London. I had to pick them up at Wigan North Western at 20.25. I decided to go early and see what was coming through - god knows why as I live alongside the line a mile or so further north !!. An interesting hour - not just the trains but some gormless passengers also made me chuckle !! . Highlight was the local to Liverpool - 2 x 4 car 319's coupled together. & both the northbound & southbound 12 car Royal Mail trains passed within a couple of minutes of each other, whizzed past at a hell of a speed.

The "magic" is still there - just. Now - can you still buy a combined volume !!!!!!

Brit15

Looking forward to "Carry on Dick " , shurly "Dick spotting in Doncaster" " will make the next issue of Private Eye ? Relax folks this is car crash T V at its best, who cares if they get it all wrong. The funniest thing on TV since England were dumped by Iceland.

• RMweb Gold

Thinking back to the 60's I also collected numbers, visited many loco sheds, lines, stations etc - BUT although I underlined in a "Combined Volume" & later in Locoshed books, which I still have. I never got too interested or fussy regarding "cops" (new numbers, not those in uniform - hopefully). For me the interest was just in being near / observing / riding on trains.Heaven for me was head out of the window behind a Jubilee going up The Long Drag, or mucky Black 5's around Wigan & Manchester and after 1968 listening to hard working Peaks, Brush 4's Big D's etc. "Bug Boxes" (DMU's) I hated back then, unless I got the seat behind the driver's cab !.

I always recorded the loco pulling my train from 1963 up to around 1975 or so - never bothered afterwards, and I still have this book. Most summers in the mid 70's a week off work with a Midland or all line rover just burning the miles. I even stopped taking photos back then - just rode the rails. Wish now I hadn't !!

Confession - Last Friday my twin daughters went on a school day trip to London. I had to pick them up at Wigan North Western at 20.25. I decided to go early and see what was coming through - god knows why as I live alongside the line a mile or so further north !!. An interesting hour - not just the trains but some gormless passengers also made me chuckle !! . Highlight was the local to Liverpool - 2 x 4 car 319's coupled together. & both the northbound & southbound 12 car Royal Mail trains passed within a couple of minutes of each other, whizzed past at a hell of a speed.

The "magic" is still there - just. Now - can you still buy a combined volume !!!!!!

Brit15

I still have my combined volume dated 1954 with 'cops' underlined in pencil.It contains references to "Engines of this class are still being introduced " with the sections on the Riddles 9f's and projects the "Clan" production to points which never came to pass.

My LocoLog books start in 1954 and the last entry is in 1969.....at which point I suppose I laid aside such things...or rather put them into hibernation.

Mr Snow kicks off tonight with calling 62005 " a Black Five " and class 37s "ugly things " mind that last quote might just find some agreement with some........?

Tonight's challenge, see " one of the 6 Mail trains on the network" .........I wonder if Dick will see one in Swindon ?

• RMweb Premium

Brit15

Combined Volume...yes, sort of. Platform 5 do it. It isn't 10/6 though.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Wigan North western is the place for mail EMU's . Again tonight two have just passed within 2 minutes.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/WGN?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Am I becoming addicted - where's my Anorak !!

Brit15

Hope you told them then?

P

Many people here should remember that the day after the referendum, they were slagging the result off for ensuring a Boris Tory government for the forseeable future.

Eh?

P

• RMweb Gold

I haven't been watching tonight's show live, it's being recorded and CTMK is watching something about health on the TV anyway.

However, it occurred to me that they could have taken the whole programme to a completely different level by involving Network Rail and the TOCs. How about having cameras at one of the big London termini, for example, and then another camera and presenter in the signal box covering that station, plus perhaps one or two cameras further along the line, and maybe one in the cab of a train departing said terminus.

You could then have mixed comments from knowledgeable enthusiasts with those working in the industry, and come up with something much slicker and more informative.

Archived