James May's split-tip screwdriver

For anyone who has watched James May's re-assembly of a Bakelite telephone - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b076wf8f/james-may-the-reassembler-2-telephone - you may have seen the nifty screwdriver shown from 3:05 in the link.

I've tried to search for one on the 'net as there's been many times when would have been useful, around the house if not modelling.

All I've found is patent documents which show the tip quite well - http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US6973860 - would anyone know where one can be sourced please?

Thank you, that's led to giving a registered trademark which has given improved search results. I'm now trying to find one which doesn't have scandalous postage (even from a UK seller).

• RMweb Gold

Neat. Would have saved me a lot of time when re-assembling our label printer yesterday, a job with a very high F factor due to poorly located screws. To be honest, I was amazed when SWMBO turned it on again and it worked but why should one have to completely take a printer apart just to get to a paper jam?

In the past I've used a small length of insulation tape, applied circumferentially around the screw driver tip and the screw, to hold the screw in place. It works on most screws but it might be a bit fiddly on the smaller BA sizes. I once had a screwdriver with a sliding spring collar attachment which was intended to hold the screw in place but it's a long time gone.

Peterfgf

• Like 1

In the past I've used a small length of insulation tape, applied circumferentially around the screw driver tip and the screw, to hold the screw in place. It works on most screws but it might be a bit fiddly on the smaller BA sizes. I once had a screwdriver with a sliding spring collar attachment which was intended to hold the screw in place but it's a long time gone.

Peterfgf

I've got one of those somewhere but lord knows where (I really must search for it) The split screwdriver looks very desirable and I could have done with one on several jobs recently.

• RMweb Gold

It's funny that what some people think is common knowledge others are unaware of. I've been using these since the 60s, maybe it helped having a father who worked for stanley tools! I presumed that's what everybody used.

Maybe we need a "this is what I use for doing this job" thread?

Mike.

• Like 1

All this reckless expense, when I was with Hawker Sidderley and had to secure a screw in a setting on an aircraft where you could not get your fingers in, the following procedure was used. You cut a short length of "shrink sleeve" and placed the screw in one end and the screwdriver in the other, turning the latter until the blade went into the slot. A quick blow from the heat gun would shrink the sleeve and now, the assembly could be pushed into place and turned until the screw gripped. Removing the screwdriver usually pulled the sleeve with it. If not, a pair of "long nosed" pliers had to be used. Finally tighten the screw into place. The job's a good un.      

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I can see a marketing opportunity.

Instead of a book to accompany the series, how about a 'James May Reassembler Tool Kit'?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Also on the guitar programme was the new-to-me Japanese variation on the cross-point screw slot. Philips, Pozi-, Supa-drive and now the Japanese one. Little wonder so many slots are mangled.

I'd never heard of them either. Having rebuilt many Japanese bikes/engines from the 70's it certainly explains the problems getting some of those screws undone!

• Like 1

Why all this complication? I just secure the screw with a little blu-tack to the end of the screwdriver. Works with any size screw, whether plastic, brass or steel, and every type of head. Probably quicker too. Unless it takes me 5 mins to remember where I last put the blu-tack down...

Edited by Titan

Any size screw, free postage

attachicon.gifuntitled.JPG

:jester: Peter

Actually,Blu Tac is really useful,i use it when i build Meccano models for placing nuts onto bolts in inaccessable places.A blob of Blu Tac on the end of a screwed rod,works like a dream.

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

I just checked. I have 2 (different sizes) labelled Quick Wedge Salt Lake City. I think one came from my father-in-law, the other from a hardware chain that closed a few decades ago.

They do have a tendency to spin off smaller screws.

Why all this complication? I just secure the screw with a little blu-tack to the end of the screwdriver. Works with any size screw, whether plastic, brass or steel, and every type of head. Probably quicker too. Unless it takes me 5 mins to remember where I last put the blu-tack down...

Problem with Blu-tak is where deeply recessed screws are involved, you can guarantee some stays in the screw head that you cannot get out and when you come to undo the screw again it acts as a lubricant causing the screwdriver to unnecessarily slip and causing wear to the screw head