Kernow/Bachmann announcement at Great Central Railway model event (17 June)

Paul.Uni

91 was the headcode for Waterloo-Weymouth....

As a result, thus far it could be taken as...

"You can pull and push us" - Push-Pull Stock

C-Stock Photo - Electric Rails and LU connection

GNER 91 - Worked Waterloo to Weymouth services

The 4-TC is looking fairly likely at the moment...

Regards,

Matt

• RMweb Premium

All we need now is a clue that in some way refers to the T and C of 4TC (or the REP of 4REP) :D

I have to admit to having been very sceptical about a 4TC, and I'm still not 100% convinced it will be a 4TC due to the cost of production. But if it is, then I'll be very happy, even though getting one (let alone several) might take quite a while. If a 4REP was in the mix as well that would pretty much floor me. If I had an edible hat, then I'd commit to eating it (but I'm not Paddy Ashdown so I'm not making promises I can't keep).

Where is the location of the picture. My gut instinct says York.

Also from the newsletter:

Another top clue for you this week....  remember all will be revealed at the Great Central exhibition later in June!

Interesting fact... As the BBC does not carry advertising the cartoon Top Cat was renamed (The) Boss Cat for the UK airing of the show. This was due to the fact 'Top Cat' was the name of a British brand of cat food at the time. Interesting...

Bold added by me

Time for me to get me whisk out to add to the froth.

​This year's Bachmann "theme" is Network Southeast.  The TCs lasted into NSE livery if I recall.

As the fat white bear used to sing trying to flog the chemically produced vile pink Cresta pop "It's frothy, man".

Where is the location of the picture. My gut instinct says York.

Also from the newsletter:

Bold added by me

It is indeed York. York south junction with the 91 going under York Holgate bridge. 

Would be different if it was the 91 set, as thats certainly no where near the south west which Kernow have favoured thus far. 

• RMweb Premium

A 4TC would be quite a marketing initiative by Bachmann... now buy a Heljan 33, or a Hornby 50 or a Dapol or Hornby 73 to run with it - not a Bachmann loco in there....

If it is a TC and a REP was to follow, would that give a quick way to a standard Mk1 BFK and/or RBR?

• RMweb Gold

A 4TC would be quite a marketing initiative by Bachmann... now buy a Heljan 33, or a Hornby 50 or a Dapol or Hornby 73 to run with it - not a Bachmann loco in there....

look at this way 'we can get sales from those who didn't buy a loco off us this way' ;)

If it is a TC and a REP was to follow, would that give a quick way to a standard Mk1 BFK and/or RBR?

Since the vast majority of RTR coaching stock is produced by Hornby, all the other manufacturers are already producing model locos which will likely necessitate further sales for Hornby.

Strangely, they've been slow to increase their coach ranges (Bachmann seems finally to be doing something, albeit at a glacial pace, and Kernow is now dipping a toe in the water).

A TC would therefore be normal behaviour in the market.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Look at it the other way, an opportunity to sell coaches to people who already own the locos, it's not like any of them are recent releases.

Bachmann did very well out of their Bulleid coaches despite them (at the time) only making one SR loco to run them behind (the Lord Nelson, they hadn't got round to the N back then) because everybody who modelled the Southern wanted something better than Hornby's dreaded "Year of the Coach" generic stock. 

John

• RMweb Gold

Since the vast majority of RTR coaching stock is produced by Hornby, all the other manufacturers are already producing model locos which will likely necessitate further sales for Hornby.

Strangely, they've been slow to increase their coach ranges (Bachmann seems finally to be doing something, albeit at a glacial pace, and Kernow is now dipping a toe in the water).

A TC would therefore be normal behaviour in the market.

Paul

To be fair to Bachmann, Hornby didn't start making decent coaches until given a hefty kick up the rear by the arrival of Bachmann's BR Mk.1 range.

To be fair to Hornby, they have left Bachmann trailing in their wake ever since.

John

Another hint (sort of) from GrahamMuz's blog ;

https://grahammuz.com/

"I am soon heading very South .... There will as a result be a break in posts (with the exception of a Southern Region related, tip top.., announcement Friday next week) ..." 

And, of course, Friday is the 17th June.

So, almost certainly Southern Region (and it gets GrahamMuz's seal of approval).

(Note the way he has written "tip top..,"  -  those full stops, a hint ?)

I'm wondering *IF* it is a TC then maybe a Bachmann class 73 is going to be part of the same announcement, however, whilst you are correct with the RBR, I thought the BFK in the REPs were converted MK1 CK and not BFK.

Steve

Edit: Of course TC's were also push-pulled by class 74s which Kernow have very much got a big involvement in, by solely selling them through their website.

To be fair to Hornby, they have left Bachmann trailing in their wake ever since.

John

Not their Mk2e with visible panty line.  Just imagine a Collett or Maunsell without a chassis solebar and you'll see that producing an integrally constructed coach with a visible chassis is sloppy and ridiculous.  At least the Bachmann Mk2s didn't have a fictional chassis, just livery inaccuracies.  Bachmann's forthcoming Mk2f stock has an open goal to go for regardless of price in my view.

Well, I'm almost there: I have nine operating class 73s, eight class 33s, including two 33/1, and the intention to get a 74 (or two) when they come. 

Hmm ... maybe I need to get a couple more class 33/1 locos if it is a TC!

I'm wondering *IF* it is a TC then maybe a Bachmann class 73 is going to be part of the same announcement, however, whilst you are correct with the RBR, I thought the BFK in the REPs were converted MK1 CK and not BFK.

Steve

Edit: Of course TC's were also push-pulled by class 74s which Kernow have very much got a big involvement in, by solely selling them through their website.

You are correct: the BFKs are conversions from CKs. In fact, when I made my representation of a REP many, many years ago, I used a Triang composite for the main part of the coach, with sections from the sides of a BSK to complete it. The seat unit was also predominantly from the CK. The whole  lot  was motorised with a Lima motor bogie concealed in the BFK's van section.

An accurately liveried and electrically sound class 73 would be nice. Here's hoping Bachmann do something like that. :)

• RMweb Gold

Not their Mk2e with visible panty line.  Just imagine a Collett or Maunsell without a chassis solebar and you'll see that producing an integrally constructed coach with a visible chassis is sloppy and ridiculous.  At least the Bachmann Mk2s didn't have a fictional chassis, just livery inaccuracies.  Bachmann's forthcoming Mk2f stock has an open goal to go for regardless of price in my view.

Anything with windows that don't open is far too new for my taste so they would have passed me by unnoticed. :jester:

All the coaches produced by Hornby that do fit into my scheme of things have been very good.

John

unless Bachmann bring out a 4TC unit with a class 33/2 Not sure if a model has ever been made of them but it would be a bit daft to bring one out without a loco as the price will reflect on this will Bachmann sell it as a four coach set and make less money as it wont be powered so in this case it wont have any lights just a thought  

• RMweb Premium

unless Bachmann bring out a 4TC unit with a class 33/2 Not sure if a model has ever been made of them but it would be a bit daft to bring one out without a loco as the price will reflect on this will Bachmann sell it as a four coach set and make less money as it wont be powered so in this case it wont have any lights just a thought  

Why would Bachman bring out a 33/1 (the 33/2 ones were the narrow bodied Hastings ones) when Heljan already produce a 33/1.

With Dapol doing the 73 and DJM doing the 74 all the relevant pull / push fitted locos are already spoken for.

In any case it is perfectly possible to fit on board lighting and power carrying couplers plus a decoder socket (as seen on the CEP) without having a motor / drive unit on board.

Given the real thing couldn't move on its own - yet the wide variety of things that could haul / Pull- push them about a non-powered but fitted out for an accessory DCC decoder is the perfect solution.

Archived