Kernow/Bachmann announcement at Great Central Railway model event (17 June)

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

If it is a 4TC then they got all over the Southern Region. I have photos of them at Brighton, Seaford, Littlehampton, London Bridge, and Crowborough to name but a few. You also have the option of making them a 3TC too.

As I happen to know what is going to be announced (assuming it's what I think it is but I would expect it to be at very a presentable stage by now) I have given a moment's thought to the matter of 'a connection' and fairly quickly sussed what it probably is although it is subtle and I very much doubt that anyone else looking at this thread (with one possible exception) will know what it is.

Hm.

Ok so lets approach this from a different angle. If it isn't a 4TC what would match the clues we have?

• Southern Region
  • Electric, in some way
  • Push - pull, or some combo

Do we believe anything else?!?

• An LT connection?

It slightly reminds me of the American manufacturer Athearn who, several years ago, announced they would be doing something uniquely Canadian. There was so much froth and enthusiasm that when the finally announced that ti was a relatively minor change to one of their existing loco's there was a lot of disappointment and bad press.

At this point if I was Kernow I'd be tempted to also announce that I was considering the 4TC for "expressions of interest".

Luke

• RMweb Gold

Ok so lets approach this from a different angle. If it isn't a 4TC what would match the clues we have?

1st guess...

• Southern Region - Bulleids Leader
  • Electric, in some way - did it have cab lights
  • Push - pull, or some combo - it could go backwards and forwards
Do we believe anything else?!? No.

• An LT connection? Lul also had a car numbered 36001

2nd guess

• Southern Region - Isle of Wight EMU stock
  • Electric, in some way - it certainly is
  • Push - pull, or some combo - it could go backwards and forwards
Do we believe anything else?!? No.

• An LT connection? kind of easy...

:-) I can dream

So 4TC... Will it be powered.. The real thing wasn't was it ?

It could be a P class.

One worked at Bowaters were all that clay from the south west went.

They pushed and pulled in their early days too.

Down side, I see no link with the London Underground not the Isle of Wight other than being based on terriers.

Bullied BR class 12 diesel. One did end up in Grassington, another ended up working in South Wales. Otherwise they could be found at various points around London.

Still no IOW connection.

A new class 04?

Class 70 even...

In fairness - Stationmaster isn't saying it's not a TC - he is not giving anything away because it's not his news, he even admits it may be something different to what he saw. The connection being mentioned is in response to another member trying to connect a TC to Cornwall.

I must admit, as somebody who would love a TC or 2 or 3, I have been trying desperately not to get my hopes up - I am failing, so it could all end up being a damp squid on Friday for me.

Bullied BR class 12 diesel. One did end up in Grassington, another ended up working in South Wales. Otherwise they could be found at various points around London.

Still no IOW connection.

A new class 04?

Class 70 even...

Plenty of gaps in the diesel shunter line up, although perhaps the 04 should be left to Bachmann main range, if we live long enough. A 70 (or 70s) would be excellent but I can’t see it happening as they have been dragging their feet for ages with the Bulleid mainline diesels. Perhaps I think too much in “themes” but with so many third-rail locomotives here or on the horizon, 70s would round them off nicely.

• RMweb Premium

I wondered for a moment if it was a Class 205 as a way of reusing the DTC from Kernow's Thumper unit... but I think not.

I've been predicting Caroline (pull-push, IOW stock is narrow like the Hastings line DEMUs, LT C stock) and finally thought I had a connection to the Class 91 - max speed 125mph = 201kmh but then remembered Caroline was from a Class 203 buffet unit not a Class 201...

• RMweb Gold

Next guess, remember we push and pull these as much as we like.

So this hints not locos but rolling stock.

LSWR Ironclads anyone?

The push-pull sets (as converted in 1949) would make good partners for any future Bachmann H Class 0-4-4T, too.

John

Given the rather nice looking 48xx coming from Liverpool on the near(?) future, I'd be seriously amused (and delighted) if Kernow's special was an earlier era auto coach than the Bachmann one.

Thinking about it, if some of the rail motors were converted to be used as autocoaches, i wonder if Kernow could use some of their development work for that project to bring out an autocoach in a shorter timeframe?

Edit: it would, also, be extremely commercially astute of DJM to get two different commissioners to take some of the cost risk of complementary products both developed by him!

David

Given the rather nice looking 48xx coming from Liverpool on the near(?) future, I'd be seriously amused (and delighted) if Kernow's special was an earlier era auto coach than the Bachmann one.

Thinking about it, if some of the rail motors were converted to be used as autocoaches, i wonder if Kernow could use some of their development work for that project to bring out an autocoach in a shorter timeframe?

David

Or for those of us who could use a railmotor now, a basis for doing our own conversion!

Archived