Kernow/Bachmann announcement at Great Central Railway model event (17 June)

Paul.Uni

As I happen to know what is going to be announced (assuming it's what I think it is but I would expect it to be at very a presentable stage by now) I have given a moment's thought to the matter of 'a connection' and fairly quickly sussed what it probably is although it is subtle and I very much doubt that anyone else looking at this thread (with one possible exception) will know what it is.

So the Cornish connection is that someone who is slightly acquainted with someone involved in the project was once seen eating a Cornish pasty in the vicinity of the prototype!

• RMweb Gold

So the Cornish connection is that someone who is slightly acquainted with someone involved in the project was once seen eating a Cornish pasty in the vicinity of the prototype!

I couldn't possibly comment (but you can get some very nice pasties just along the street from KMRC)

A possible connection taken from Kernow's own website:

Chris Trerise - Managing Director

Chris keeps the website up to date and deals with all back office accounts, as well as ordering all stock for the shop. He decides on our limited edition program and carries out all the research for these models.

Chris formerly worked on the railway, joining BR at Waterloo Station in the summer of 1987.

I also had a quick gander at Mr Trerise photo site (only 4xx EMUs) and guess which class of EMU he has most photo's of - yep, 4TC including a handful of close ups of S76275 at St Leonards (3 pages worth) - more than any other EMU class on his site - only the 4CIGs come close with 2 pages worth.

Not saying it's concrete - infact I'm trying hard to persuade myself that it's not a TC so I don't feel disappointed if it's not. Enough obsession from me.

• RMweb Premium

But, if the TC is one of Chris's pet loves, would he and Bachmann also extend out to do the REP as well (giving Bachmann something to haul TCs with)?

• RMweb Gold

To the best of my knowledge,Thumpers did not run west of Salisbury on services from Hampshire ( one of their first operational areas ) on the SR.

10201/2/3 when working on the SR were usually confined to Waterloo- Bournemouth-Weymouth services with perhaps the occasional outing as far as Exeter. They did not run into Kernow territory.In any case,they migrated to the LMR by the mid 1950's.

During at least one of the periodic motive power crises that used to affect the Salisbury-Exeter route before we got the 159s, 3-car Thumpers were a fairly regular sight.

They were too small and couldn't keep time but it was better than the alternative - a collapse of the service.

I've found a print of 205 033 in NSE livery, passing through Seaton Junction but it only has a negative reference on the back and I don't currently have access to my photo records so can't be sure when it was taken - an educated guess would be somewhere around 1989 and I'm sure I took other pictures. I'll update the post when I get my notebooks out of storage.

We also saw the odd Class 155 Sprinter around the same time - things must have been fairly desperate.

John

• RMweb Gold

as someone who doesn't know anything, and i mean ANYTHING about southern EMU's I'd like to say that to me as a spotter back in the 80s when slam door stuff was running they all near as dammit look the same to me, a 4TC looks like a 4VEP looks like a 4whatever, in fact it wasn't until starting to work with ex 'juice jockeys' recently that I discovered TCs were just coaches with a cab!

As a modeller I can't see the attraction of a 4TC as surely its nothing I couldn't achieve (visually) by dragging a Hornby 4VEP or Bachmann 4CEP round with a loco or am I missing something?

But, if the TC is one of Chris's pet loves, would he and Bachmann also extend out to do the REP as well (giving Bachmann something to haul TCs with)?

I guess only time will tell - if of course it is a TC. ISTR earlier this year that an industry insider who might post on this forum quite frequently mentioned we could see some duplication of locomotives and also DMUs this year. I'm wondering if that might happen on Friday.

On the issue of thumpers I definately remember travelling on one (oxted unit I think) from Temple Meads to Southampton once & I think at the time it was quite regular (early 90s).

• RMweb Gold

As a modeller I can't see the attraction of a 4TC as surely its nothing I couldn't achieve (visually) by dragging a Hornby 4VEP or Bachmann 4CEP round with a loco or am I missing something?

Heretic ;)

;) but then a low emissions 66 looks like an original one etc it's the subtle differences only those familiar know but would grate ;) note the pining for a Western BP ;)

This guessing game and teasers from those who may already know more is all quite interesting. I was just looking at Bachmanns site for release dates and noticed the 4ceps are due soon. It did make me wonder whether Kernow would do a refurbed unit in NSE/Jaffa cake livery on the back of this. Just a thought or hope on my part.

Caroline would be nice though.

Thanks

Mark

as someone who doesn't know anything, and i mean ANYTHING about southern EMU's I'd like to say that to me as a spotter back in the 80s when slam door stuff was running they all near as dammit look the same to me, a 4TC looks like a 4VEP looks like a 4whatever, in fact it wasn't until starting to work with ex 'juice jockeys' recently that I discovered TCs were just coaches with a cab!

Is this the same as saying all GWR 4-6-0s look the same.

Hat, coat and run for the nuclear shelter!

• RMweb Gold

This would have been true in the 1970s and 80s when manufacturers would produce catalogues saying that they did everything the modeler needed, no need to look elsewhere.

In this day and age, no one would dare to market anything like that. Complementing locos in other ranges is not an issue these days.

In any case, it's a Kernow thing. They already complemented the well tank with specially commissioned Bachmann clay wagons.

I'm not so sure it works that way... Kernow aside manufacturers do tend to have a 'train set in mind' and I was referring to the models 'legacy'...But that's just my humble opinion.

Having said that I will be the first dancing in the streets if they do the deed. Perhaps I'm trying not to get too excited.

Griff

• RMweb Premium

Heresy! How can you say such a thing?! ;)

Big Jim i think there's room in the shelter with me.

2 of us might get away with it, but any more and the IKB posse may start lynching people.

Nik

As a member of the IKB posse, I have to say that in his day, and for 50 years after, most classes looked different! In fact many members of the same class looked very different to each other. It's all Churchward's fault that all 4-6-0s looked the same, but fortunately he was still experimenting with his first designs when my modelling interest in the GWR starts to wane.

• RMweb Gold

Big Jim i think there's room in the shelter with me.

2 of us might get away with it, but any more and the IKB posse may start lynching people.

Nik

I think you may require a considerably bigger shelter (apologies to Calendar Girls).

J.

• RMweb Gold

A possible connection taken from Kernow's own website:

Chris Trerise - Managing Director

Chris keeps the website up to date and deals with all back office accounts, as well as ordering all stock for the shop. He decides on our limited edition program and carries out all the research for these models.

Chris formerly worked on the railway, joining BR at Waterloo Station in the summer of 1987.

I also had a quick gander at Mr Trerise photo site (only 4xx EMUs) and guess which class of EMU he has most photo's of - yep, 4TC including a handful of close ups of S76275 at St Leonards (3 pages worth) - more than any other EMU class on his site - only the 4CIGs come close with 2 pages worth.

Not saying it's concrete - infact I'm trying hard to persuade myself that it's not a TC so I don't feel disappointed if it's not. Enough obsession from me.

But he also worked for Trainload Freight and then a certain passenger operation which crosses London - but of course EMUs don't sell (according to some people).

• RMweb Gold

What you are missing Jim is that you don't need a layout fitted with a third rail to run a 4TC, whereas you do in order to run a 4anythingelse. :locomotive:

I'm not so sure it works that way... Kernow aside manufacturers do tend to have a 'train set in mind' and I was referring to the models 'legacy'...But that's just my humble opinion.

Having said that I will be the first dancing in the streets if they do the deed. Perhaps I'm trying not to get too excited.

Griff

In the old days, Hornby, Airfix, Mainline and Lima all had ranges to fit their locos.

These days only Bachmann and Hornby have ranges vast enough to claim that. But there ranges are so vast now, literally any loco they do will have suitable rolling stock somewhere. Only a few colourful pre grouping items tend to be without.

Dapol has a vast wagon range which does not really fit their locos. Oxford rail has a balanced range of rolling and locos currently projected but they don,t really fit well either. Nor does DJM. Heljan has a vast range of diesels but hardly any rolling stock. Overall we see a strategy that is more filling the gaps in the market by these manufacturers than creating a coherent range.

When I was younger, I went into a shop once to buy some stamps. He refused saying if he sold me some I might buy postcards elsewhere. So I brought my stamps elsewhere. Can we imagine Bachmann refusing to make something for Kernow because it does not fit with Bachmann's Locos?

Archived