92020 passing Moore on 17th March 2020 with ECS from Preston to Wembley (Terminated as a passenger service at Preston due to the wires down)

92 020 at Moore on 17th March 2020

92043 passing Moore on 17th March 2020 with ECS from Preston to Wembley (Terminated as a passenger service at Preston due to the wires down)

92043 at Moore on 17th March 2020

Mark

• Like 13

On 16 March 2020 at 13:13, Rugd1022 said:

Leckies in storage at Bury...

Bury storage.jpg

Excellent photo - the thing that was so shocking to a young enthusiast seeing these at Bury was these locos (the AC ones at least) represented a pinnacle of railway modernity - at least in image portrayed (steam had not long gone) and to see them covered in dust and stored (or fire damaged in the case of E3055) was quite a shock - the rooves of the locos were absolutely filthy (would normally be white). 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

On 17/03/2020 at 15:59, MidlandRed said:

Excellent photo - the thing that was so shocking to a young enthusiast seeing these at Bury was these locos (the AC ones at least) represented a pinnacle of railway modernity - at least in image portrayed (steam had not long gone) and to see them covered in dust and stored (or fire damaged in the case of E3055) was quite a shock - the rooves of the locos were absolutely filthy (would normally be white). 

45 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Is that a 76 and if so, is it E26000 Tommy ?

(What a scandal that loco wasn't preserved !)

That is Tommy, and it was a real shame it didn't get preserved if for no other reason of WW2 posterity and the fact it was sent to the Netherlands.

But more intriguing is the class 156 hidden away at the back!!!!!

image.png.09647c205d5e28b09f7e3fef13e87316.png

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Strange looking Class 156 - perhaps the time warp that brought it there distorted it.

Looks more like a Southern CIG/VEP to me but no idea why one of those would be in a shed in Bury - apart from the third rail connection.

Cheers 

Darius

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Strange looking Class 156 - perhaps the time warp that brought it there distorted it.

Looks more like a Southern CIG/VEP to me but no idea why one of those would be in a shed in Bury - apart from the third rail connection.

Cheers 

Darius

But not compatible 3rd rail systems,  the bury one was 1200v side contact 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Cheers 

Darius

No it's definitely a Sprinter, in the early livery when they could be seen out and about without yellow ends.  Perhaps they didn't put them on so they would be less conspicuous when they time travelled with it :lol::lol::lol:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

No it's definitely a Sprinter, in the early livery when they could be seen out and about without yellow ends.  Perhaps they didn't put them on so they would be less conspicuous when they time travelled with it :lol::lol::lol:

If you bump up the contrast you can see Lord Lucan in the driver’s cab.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

22 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Zoomed in as much as I can on an Android phone it looked to me like it could be the class 140 unit?

Dale

On 17/03/2020 at 15:59, MidlandRed said:

Those modern 25 kV  locos failed due their the late-Edwardian technology of  AC to DC rectification of power  by Mercury arc rectifiers,  basically valve technology,  dependable  in a fixed installation but not in a  bouncing lurching railway locomotive,  the locos were sent to Doncaster for upgraded rectifiers based on semiconductors,  I saw a small number of the locos  in their bedraggled state  as they passed through St James Bridge station ( Doncaster) , arriving from the direction of Sheffield  as they made their way to the Plant Works

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, dale159 said:

Zoomed in as much as I can on an Android phone it looked to me like it could be the class 140 unit?

Cropped, with brightness and contrast pushed to the max in Photoshop. Might have a buckeye/rubbing plate, profile looks slightly rounded, possible lamp brackets either side?

Bury-high-contrast.jpg.ff8ca5dd0dbe2bfe0672c33bad091f2f.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Cropped, with brightness and contrast pushed to the max in Photoshop. Might have a buckeye/rubbing plate, profile looks slightly rounded, possible lamp brackets either side?

Bury-high-contrast.jpg.ff8ca5dd0dbe2bfe0672c33bad091f2f.jpg

Looks like a 4 CEP motor coach