Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

In terms of renumbering options - I'd like a couple of Virgin 87s - is there substantial variation across the fleet like 47s?

Two I'm personally interested in are 003 and 004.

Although not the number your after, Virgin liveried 87027 had a few minor differences to the cab end which was damaged in the Winsford smash. The cab was rebuilt with no blanking plates (there are pictures on Flickr in Crewe works during repair)from the old MW jumpers and also has different tail lights fitted, possibly LED units similar to RES 47's.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

I emailed Hornby yesterday as a result of the info from member 87029 and they have replied today that the website info is incorrect and will be updated, the BR blue and intercity versions are further delayed until July.

I emailed Hornby yesterday as a result of the info from member 87029 and they have replied today that the website info is incorrect and will be updated, the BR blue and intercity versions are further delayed until July.

You have done better than me, I am still awaiting my reply. Thank you for confirming this.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe we should have a sweepstake on whether these are actually going to arrive in the shops before the Bachmann class 90

I’m prepared to take that bet

• RMweb Gold

For some reason everything coming out of China seems to be delayed in 2018..

We’re some Hattons P’s, Kernow Bulleids missing, Bachmann pushed back dates 6-12mths on many items, so too now has Hornby.

Other items have been just around the corner for several months now.. Dapol B4’s, Heljan 07, where have those other GV Janus’s gone ?

Has China blockaded the South China Sea ?

Are UK manufacturers holding back spending ?

Are those pesky Europeans taking our production slots ?

Has Donald trump stolen the toolings ?

Chinese New Year happens every year, and usually by April stuff starts coming through, but I don’t see much actually arriving until late summer except the odd dribs/ drabs.

I know my wallet has had a 2 month break (not that it’s a bad thing), but I hope the suppliers aren’t holding up production spending because of excess stock.. trouble is whilst shop shelves do seem to be full, there’s nothing I want to buy.. I even spent a night scouring ebay with a 15% off voucher .. all I bought was BBQ scrapers.

I must have new box opening withdrawal symptoms.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

I suspect the reason is likely to be that with the first two releases from the new tooling, now delayed until July this year, they have decided to spread the versions, putting back this years model, to avoid three versions hitting the shelves at the same time. That makes sense, however Hornby have announced additional Virgin liveried Mk 3 coaches in this weeks announcement, which seems odd as presumably they intended to market them with the Virgin liveried 87. This version of the 87 was the only livery I was interested in, so have to wait another year.

• Like 1

I suspect the reason is likely to be that with the first two releases from the new tooling, now delayed until July this year, they have decided to spread the versions, putting back this years model, to avoid three versions hitting the shelves at the same time. That makes sense, however Hornby have announced additional Virgin liveried Mk 3 coaches in this weeks announcement, which seems odd as presumably they intended to market them with the Virgin liveried 87. This version of the 87 was the only livery I was interested in, so have to wait another year.

I wouldn't have thought 3 options available at the same time was excessive, with minimal overlap in time period between the 3. How many options for the Class 66 did Hattons announce at once? ... ;)

• Like 1

I wouldn't have thought 3 options available at the same time was excessive, with minimal overlap in time period between the 3. How many options for the Class 66 did Hattons announce at once? ... ;)

Indeed and the difference between the various class 66 batches aren't any more of a chore to manufacture than the differences between an 87 and an 86.

66s over the entire class have different cabside window arrangements, different fuel tanks, different body side doors and different lighting.

86s and 87s have almost identical body sides, the only differences I'm aware of are the double handles on the 87 cab doors (which in most cases was retrofitted to 86s anyway) and the drain spouts differ slightly.

The underframes and bogies differ (although less so for 86/1s) and apart from the frontal arrangements that's just about it.

If Hornby drop the ball and don't make a decent 86 off the back of their new 87, then in my book they've missed a trick that's been handed to them on a plate.

If Hatton's can offer the 66 in its various forms then Hornby should be doing the 86 via their much-awaited 87.

Here's hoping.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have thought 3 options available at the same time was excessive, with minimal overlap in time period between the 3. How many options for the Class 66 did Hattons announce at on

... ;)

I think the difference is due to greater following for the 66, evidenced by the number of production versions and limited editions that Bachmann has produced. Unfortunately overhead electric locos don't sell in the same volume, two of the first three Bachmann Class 85s remained available for several years and the second version in electric blue is reduced to £79 and £89 currently and has been for some time. Thats why I suspect Hornby don't want to have sticking stock by marketing 3 versions at once. I may be wrong, but I don't believe it's a production slot issue in view of the recently announced additional models for 2018. Edited by rembrow

Aye, understood. 66s are everywhere and for those who model the current scene, those locos are a must.

I don't think the ACs have any less of a following, it's more to do with having to erect OHLE.

Unfortunately overhead electric locos don't sell in the same volume, two of the first three Bachmann Class 85s remained available for several years and the second version in electric blue is reduced to £79 and £89 currently and has been for some time. Thats why I suspect Hornby don't want to have sticking stock by marketing 3 versions at once. I may be wrong, but I don't believe it's a production slot issue in view of the recently announced additional models for 2018.

I take it you have access to Bachmann's sales figures and expected sales performance for the 85? If the 85 has been such a sales lemon for Bachmann how come they've committed at least six figures worth of investment in the Class 90 that could, let's face it, have been used to retool the 66?

Just because some box-shifters have had the yellow bib AL5 on sale for less than 80 sovs doesn't mean a distress sale. At the same time Bachmann (and Hornby) were deep discounting a lot of steam locos, including black 0-6-0 locos the kettleistas are convinced will sell in droves. Does that mean that kettles don't sell, particularly little black jobs, or does it more likely mean Bachmann decided to shift some shelf space to make room for incoming models - including, let's not forget, a Blue TOPS 85 with weathering, which seems to contradict the view some seem to have that Bachmann's 85 has been a lemon.

Sorry if this sounds narky but I am getting a bit fed up with this electrics don't sell nonsense. They must sell. Otherwise we wouldn't have seen a near bankrupt Hornby (if you believe some pundits) spending six figures on tooling up an 87, they'd have stuck with their Jurassic Limby version, nor would you have seen Bachmann, who have serious production flow issues and a challenging owner who it seems will play off their potentially higher earning European and American subsidiaries against the UK brand in competition for production slots, commit significant funds to tooling up what looks to be a stonking Class 90 model. They may not fly off the shelves like - well, what actually does fly off the shelf nowadays? Silly little industrial tea urns for Hornby?

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Like 1

Sorry if this sounds narky ... what actually does fly off the shelf nowadays? Silly little industrial tea urns for Hornby?

“If”? Actually, it sounds more like you’re furiously raging. Are you sure a nice lie-down won’t help?

I write this as someone who is looking forward to both the 87 and the 90. And to some more “silly ... tea urns”.

Paul

Review of the 87 in this months Hornby Mag

According to the review of 87035, the Pantograph is diecast and nicely sprung, exactly how much is your own opinion but it drags enough to pull the head backwards when running, which I'd expect from a cross-arm.

The lights have a day/night switch, I'm not sure why they did this apart from to use an existing circuit board as initially the headlight was wired to the direction switch, as a nipper I remember sitting in my parents car on the upper deck of the car park to the west of Rugby station, and seeing the headlight of an 87 come on and expecting the train to move a few seconds later. At least the white lights are separate though and it should be easy enough to replicate this automatically with some decoders.

• RMweb Premium

After all my negativity towards Hornby in the thread on their big announcement let me say that these 87's will be stonking releases and are the most exciting OO release on the radar IMO. The blue one especially, I can't wait for it. So, credit to Hornby, let me balance some of my negativity by saying a huge thank you to them for doing these.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After all my negativity towards Hornby in the thread on their big announcement let me say that these 87's will be stonking releases and are the most exciting OO release on the radar IMO. The blue one especially, I can't wait for it. So, credit to Hornby, let me balance some of my negativity by saying a huge thank you to them for doing these.

Got to admit it does look rather good.

• Like 1