Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

• RMweb Gold

I don’t think Hornby will do an 86 so soon.

They need to get money back off there 87 tooling first.

I’d bet something left field for modern image before another electric... I wouldnt put Hornby past doing a Class 55 or a class 180 or even a class 104 (Hornby are a bit light on DMUs).

They also don’t tend towards doing families of models all at once, but instead seem to focus size across regions in periods of years (Drummond 700 &j15 / king & Duchess etc), although they have done A1,3,4 and Star, Castle and King.. it took many years to get them !

Similarly given the proximity of a Grange to a Manor or a Hall to a Saint it’s not a big step to imagine Hornby doing these, especially as the Grange and Hall are now a few years older. Indeed with Dapol announcement of a 51xx/43xx the chances of a Hornby Manor in 2018 are high, but if not it could be a Mexican Standoff on the Manor for a few years as Bachmann, Hornby and Dapol all would only need baby steps to make a manor (a body, and front pony truck for Dapol, just a body for Hornby, and Bachmann a new chassis)... so it’s a matter of who pulls the trigger first but they could all just sit on their hands looking at each other or even end up a three way shoot out !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

is this model going to have the terrible under-body Hornby-style coupling ? rather than the better option of on the end of the bogie....?

Yes, Hornby rep said at Warley that it will have the usual close coupling mech :(

Andi

Yes, Hornby rep said at Warley that it will have the usual close coupling mech :(

Andi

bearing in mind how much Class 87s were used on push-pull services with DVTs ... how well does the usual close coupling mechanism cope with that?

Just wondering if anyone is aware if Hornby will be addressing the light issue on this loco? By this I mean will we be able to switch the lights off on one end if doing a push pull working for example? I should have asked Hornby at Warley when I attended but alas I couldn't get close to anyone owing to the crowds. All that would be needed would be a switch underneath to isolate the lights on A or B end so they weren't illuminated when pushing stock.

Cheers All.

Just wondering if anyone is aware if Hornby will be addressing the light issue on this loco? By this I mean will we be able to switch the lights off on one end if doing a push pull working for example? I should have asked Hornby at Warley when I attended but alas I couldn't get close to anyone owing to the crowds. All that would be needed would be a switch underneath to isolate the lights on A or B end so they weren't illuminated when pushing stock.

Cheers All.

Indeed. With model headlights being so bright, they are obvious even in quite bright ambient light. Once upon a time, tail lights were the same but at least now they are usually switchable, so there is no glow cast on the leading coach from a non-existent fire when a diesel or electric is hauling a train.

I was a bit surprised there isnt a matching Intercity Swallow DVT being produced at the same time

Agreed, but at least it means I won't go hungry in 2018! I'm already likely getting the Bachmann Virgin 47, Swallow 87, Virgin 87 and possibly a Virgin DVT - The wallet probably won't handle much more this year! :D

I'm almost certain it'll appear in the 2019 range.

• RMweb Gold

I was a bit surprised there isnt a matching Intercity Swallow DVT being produced at the same time

But the mk3’s were HST intercity livery, for the HST set (no buffers etc ).

At least there’s hope in 2019 that any IC DVT might paint match the Oxford Rail loco hauled MK3’s.

Whilst there might be two lots of mk3’s in the 2018 ranges of Oxford and Hornby, but apart from 3 Virgin mk3’s in Oxfords Range they are not overlapping releases.

Note no dean goods or radial in 2018 either though both are quite definitely over done.

Edited by adb968008

Trusting that the Virgin 87 will have the roof mounted fire suppression tanks.

Just the question I was going to ask!

Wonder if they are available anywhere if they are not included.

Are you'll referring to the tanks on the roof? If so it's clearly visible in the image on their website.

But the mk3’s were HST intercity livery, for the HST set (no buffers etc ).

At least there’s hope in 2019 that any IC DVT might paint match the Oxford Rail loco hauled MK3’s.

Whilst there might be two lots of mk3’s in the 2018 ranges of Oxford and Hornby, but apart from 3 Virgin mk3’s in Oxfords Range they are not overlapping releases.

Note no dean goods or radial in 2018 either though both are quite definitely over done.

I thing the DVT in question is a Mk3B DVT hot an HST DVT.

The Swallow Mk3B version has been unavailable for some time & 2nd hand ones are difficult to find.

Oxford's Mk3A is specifically that, not a generic Mk3/3A like we have previously seen. (So I'm told...because apart from the buffers, I wouldn't know the difference anyway).

The roof mounted tanks are visible on the image in Febs Railway Modeller mag.

Got an email today from RAILS to say the 87 pre-order price has..........."reduced" to £129.50

well i'll take that.  Thumbs up to them as you don't hear that very often these days. I think it was only £134.50 before so its a small fiver saving but it all helps and a sub £130 tag just feels more wallet friendly.  I can maybe buy a circle of track with that to run it on !

• Like 3

I have ordered the blue 87 (no orange cant rail stripe and a Crossarm pan) but want the Bachmann Class 90 90005 in Intercity.  Would these locos have crossed paths during the sector changes?  Just wondering if by the time the Class 90s came along were all the 87s running on Brecknell Willis pantographs by then and maybe would had received orange cant rail stripes too......were the blue 87s long gone when the 90s came in?

I think the model Hornby are releasing was around in that state until about 1979-1981.  I know I could get the Inter City 87 which would certainly be into the same sector era as the 90 but didn't fancy that 87 model.  My ideal models of the 87 are early blue with high speed pan and orange stripe then executive livery.

The profile pic of the virgin 87 in the latest Model Rail magazine looks great.  the model just looks solid and heavy and beautifully finished.

Edited by ThaneofFife