Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

I just had a thought.

The compartment roof panels are translucent fibreglass on 87s and 86s. I wonder if you can see any light through them at night, if the corridor lighting is on.

And if so, is there anyone brave enough to model it? Manufacturer or purchaser.

these 87 models do not feature corridor lights but Paul Isles told me that when the cab lights are on you can see the light inside the corridor windows.  itll be interesting to see exactly what this looks like but personally I would like the same set up as Bachmanns 85 but on its own separate function key.

• Like 1

Not doubting anyone but where does Hornby announce the 87 has been put back till May?

Thanks

Mark

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/class-87-87035-robert-burns-in-br-rail-blue-livery-with-cross-arm-pantograph.html

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-intercity-class-87-bo-bo-87010-king-arthur-era-8.html

Virgin version still showing as July release.

87 now due in May

That delivery date of May 2018 has been on the Hornby website for quite a while. Since the beginning of April or maybe before IIRC.

EDITED because I was probably thinking of 10 things at once and didn't pay attention to what I typed.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

you gotta love some of the comments here.  not even worth typing them sometimes.  poor souls.

anyway.......whats the normal timescale between the magazines getting their mitts on review samples ahead of the models hitting the shops as I would have thought or rather I was hoping to read a review or two by now of the 87.  Whilst mainstream production is delayed again would this affect the handful of samples for the model magazines? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Highly doubt it....

see post #985 ........although the email I have just had from Hornby today was lording up the imminent arrival of 87035 and 87010 this month unless the change was in the last 24/48 hours and they couldn't stop the emails going out.

I hope this isn't down to a last minute undiscovered quality control issue discovered at Margate.

If so full credit to Hornby to sort it out before general release.

In the meantime here is a Class 87 photo to cheer everyone up

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4432/36775263412_6954da2ec3_b.jpg

It could be in the thread 'photos of the real thing which look like models'

Edited by letterspider

Sorry to spoil the party, but it appears that the release dates have been nudged back again:

R3580 (BR Blue) - 4th July (into Hornby)

R3582 (IC Swallow) - 14th July

R3656 (Virgin) - 16th July

It is really likely that 2 batches will be available just 2 days apart? If they are going to be ready that close to each other, then surely they would arrange for them to be on the same shipment & therefore be available together?

It is really likely that 2 batches will be available just 2 days apart? If they are going to be ready that close to each other, then surely they would arrange for them to be on the same shipment & therefore be available together?

They'll probably be getting produced together at the factory anyway or one production run will follow on even if the first 2 are dispatched when they're completed

Sorry to spoil the party, but it appears that the release dates have been nudged back again:

I am currently trialing a program for Hornby, and the information given is from that program which is linked to their stock system.

• RMweb Premium

I am currently trialing a program for Hornby, and the information given is from that program which is linked to their stock system.

Something clearly doesn't work. Hornby's website has included the first two 87s in the Coming Soon list, which has the chapeau, "Browse the new products below that will be arriving over the next few weeks - all of these products are now en route by sea or air to Hornby HQ." A postponement now to July implies that the factory told porkies and the models were not actually shipped at all, and all three versions are indeed being made together, or they have arrived and been rejected by Hornby. If the former, then Hornby really needs to get a grip on its suppliers and perhaps even have someone on site to check manifests with the actual shipment before shipping. I can imagine a situation where all the bodies and parts for the three versions being manufactured together, but then only two versions being put together first because the "decoration" and/or "kit building" production slots were separate.

If the latter, it's not long enough for the models to be sent back to China, fixed and returned to Hornby. I can't see Hornby doing a fix themselves - do they still have people to do that on a large scale - and anyway don't the shipments go directly to their warehouse and get sent out from there to retailers? So where does a quality control rejection fit in all that? Wouldn't it be done based on an advance shipment sent by air freight, or be when Hornby receives samples from the warehouse by which time they will already be on the way to retailers?

Whatever the actual position, there appear to be issues about knowing for certain what has been shipped from China and when. But I suspect Hornby is not alone in that regard. Bachmann announced several sales area Class 47s for delivery in Q1. Most arrived but some apparently not. Why is it so difficult to check what is actually shipped and when? DJM and Kernow can tell us the ship their models are on - surely the bigger players know this too even if they don't share it.

Actually the IC and Virgin liveries arriving close together makes some sort of sense as they both use the same body tooling, whereas the banger blue version has different detailing.

Personally I'm not putting any faith into Hornby's e-mail about "coming soon", it's probably just the marketing department sending out spam based on the publicised target date of a May-June release, and I'm also not reading anything sinister into the further slippage, China is a law unto themselves according to others and it is probably a shipping issue. If these dates are correct it's no big deal personally, the money's in the bank ready to splash out when they finally arrive!

In terms of renumbering options - I'd like a couple of Virgin 87s - is there substantial variation across the fleet like 47s?

Two I'm personally interested in are 003 and 004.

4 has the drivers side TDM cable in a different offset position to the rest of the fleet, a legacy from when one was fitted for Royal Train use. Apart from '101, the rest only have minor differences, the easiest way to identify them 30 years ago was from the nameplate/length and weathered paint on the ends.