Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

• RMweb Gold

I have ordered the blue 87 (no orange cant rail stripe and a Crossarm pan) but want the Bachmann Class 90 90005 in Intercity.  Would these locos have crossed paths during the sector changes?  Just wondering if by the time the Class 90s came along were all the 87s running on Brecknell Willis pantographs by then and maybe would had received orange cant rail stripes too......were the blue 87s long gone when the 90s came in?

I think the model Hornby are releasing was around in that state until about 1979-1981.  I know I could get the Inter City 87 which would certainly be into the same sector era as the 90 but didn't fancy that 87 model.  My ideal models of the 87 are early blue with high speed pan and orange stripe then executive livery.

The profile pic of the virgin 87 in the latest Model Rail magazine looks great.  the model just looks solid and heavy and beautifully finished.

No,

i think blue was pretty much dead on AC electrics, except class 81/85s and 87101 by 1987, it would be interesting to see if Hornby has tooled for 87101. i think even the remaining ECS duties only class 82/83 were intercity livery. Their was a few class 82/3/4's that were still on Crewe electric dump I recall in 1987, they had been abandoned there for years.

The Crossarm pantograph was long gone. I don't remember seeing a cross arm in the UK since the class 76's were withdrawn in 1981 though I understand 87's went by 1985 when their speed was increased to 110mph, however the headlamp was also changed (the blue one has the original "round button" one)

In my railway room I have an original painted steel BR Double arrow off a class 86, I recall getting it around this time and they would have been gone at the repaint, if not earlier, indeed I got it at the time because I thought it was quite a while since i'd seen one (Railfreight sectorisation hadn't quite started in 1987).

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

No,

i think blue was pretty much dead on AC electrics, except class 85s by 1987. i think even the remaining ECS duties only class 82/83 were intercity livery.

The Crossarm pantograph was long gone. I don't remember seeing a cross arm in the UK since the class 76's were withdrawn in 1981, however the headlamp was also changed (the blue one has the original "round button" one.

In my railway room I have an original painted steel BR Double arrow off a class 86, I recall getting it around this time and they would have been gone at the repaint, if not earlier.

76s never had cross-arm pans, they had diamond frames. 

I have photos of cross-arm 86s at Ipswich in 1985.

Andi

Andi

• RMweb Gold

76s never had cross-arm pans, they had diamond frames. 

I have photos of cross-arm 86s at Ipswich in 1985.

Andi

Andi

Apologies confused the two they look close enough.

Either way they were gone on 87s when they went to 110mph, if not.. they might have literally have gone at that speed.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

just pulled out my spotting notes...

End of 1986 shows 87003/5/6/7/8/9/12/17/18/23 as intercity livery, rest blue.

End of 1987 shows only 87022/28/31/33/4/5/101 as being in blue, and only 90001 as test at RTC.

End 1988 only 87101 in blue, 90003 and 05 hauled there first trains in March, so potentially theres a max 9 month overlap between 87035 and 90005.. but wrong pantographs.

edit: research pays off...

theres an overlap between March and August September,at least...

heres 87035 in August 1988

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwbphotos/15529195702/in/photolist-aDtFrD-dWHQc4-pEgbRu-dWPuYA-dWPuvW-qvqYKa-ZK6K6w-7YmhZP-dWPuAy-qMgvkx-C1oYEv-CpkAKj-sBpD47

heres september 1988

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98587546@N00/23633326729/in/photolist-C1oYEv-CpkAKj-sBpD47-HCWp8g

and 90005 on the 1st official service for the class in March 1988.

https://farm9.static.flickr.com/8060/8249677462_a8990b7e45_b.jpg

note this picture, with the buffers in the vertical position..

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/90005,financialtimes in 1994.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

No,

i think blue was pretty much dead on AC electrics, except class 81/85s and 87101 by 1987,

86402 was a late repaint from blue, but I'm not sure of the date. Likewise for 86426, even if it was a celebrity repaint.

i think even the remaining ECS duties only class 82/83 were intercity livery. Their was a few class 82/3/4's that were still on Crewe electric dump I recall in 1987, they had been abandoned there for years.

The Crossarm pantograph was long gone. I don't remember seeing a cross arm in the UK since the class 76's were withdrawn in 1981 though I understand 87's went by 1985 when their speed was increased to 110mph, however the headlamp was also changed (the blue one has the original "round button" one)

The only Crossarm pans in use then and today in preservation were on the ECS locos.

• RMweb Gold

Class 86s still in blue in spring 1987 were... 86205/206/207/213/219/221/222/223/224/225/228/229/230/235/236/237/239/240/241/243/249/250/254/258/261 and 86402/420/426/438.

But the 90’s didn’t enter service until 1988 and by Jan 1988 the list is down to:

86205/6/222/237/9/41/9/57 and 86402/26

By Jan 1989, 90001-12 are in service. 86206/30/49/61, 402 and 87101 are the only ones left.

As an aside, no class 60’s as yet, so no blue 86/60 combo afaik

But in 1990 you could get away with ARC 59s on Shap with steel trains ;-) something I photographed a few times during testing, but blue days with 86/7s were over.

Edited by adb968008

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Shop on eBay offering 3 of each for sale. Does not state they are pre order and gives the impression they will be delivered by the 8th Feb!

Mark

I spotted that as well, as I recall the listing stated that three examples were “available”...

Oh really.

Darius

Edit - listing now says “pre-order” only if you scroll down. Still says “available” at the start though...

Edited by Darius43

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

On the Virgin Trains livery, is it actually black or a dark grey? I've always seen paints sold as "Virgin Black" and "Virgin Red", but I also remember a person going beserk on facebook over the colour black being used. So I would like that cleared up.

Definitely dark grey! :)

The standard loco roof was black, something that Lima used to forget on a regular basis! ;)

• Like 1

Definitely dark grey! :)

The standard loco roof was black, something that Lima used to forget on a regular basis! ;)

Thank you James.

I hope Hornby gets the colour correct then, just to save themselves from a little bashing. Going by their history of Virgin Trains colours be it on the Class 47, 86 or 90 they've always used proper black. And their images on their website may/may not be believed as there's been times when the edit was not correct but the model was and then there's also been times where the edit was correct and the final model wasn't.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

I believe that the Virgin dark grey is actually the same as intercity executive dark grey. I'm also pretty sure that the roof of the 86, 87, 90 etc is the same dark grey that is on the sides. If you look at a brand-spanking newly painted virgin loco, the roof does look the same colour as the sides...

I believe that the Virgin dark grey is actually the same as intercity executive dark grey. I'm also pretty sure that the roof of the 86, 87, 90 etc is the same dark grey that is on the sides. If you look at a brand-spanking newly painted virgin loco, the roof does look the same colour as the sides...

When Willesden did Virgin livery repaints, I can confirm that we/ it used the same colour on the roof and sides.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

When Willesden did Virgin livery repaints, I can confirm that we/ it used the same colour on the roof and sides.

Did you guys do 86’s or 90’s in Virgin? I’m currently doing a Heljan 86 in the correct shade.

Did you guys do 86’s or 90’s in Virgin? I’m currently doing a Heljan 86 in the correct shade.

All three West Coast classes.  Not sure if some 86s (the XC ones) were done at Longsight ETD, as they were nominally based there, but I certainly don't remember Manchester doing them.

All three West Coast classes.  Not sure if some 86s (the XC ones) were done at Longsight ETD, as they were nominally based there, but I certainly don't remember Manchester doing them.

I think the Longsight 86's were maybe painted at Springburn. Regards the roof colour, 08611 painted into Virgin livery at Edgehill (around 97/98) had a grey roof and 08696 which IIRC was painted into Virgin livery at Willesden had a grey roof aswell, same as bodyside shade basically.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I thought i'd get ahead of the game and buy a sound chip for one of these in the hope they arrive on time! I've had a quick search on this topic and also searched the Hornby forum but found no information on the following.

What type of decoder will the 87 use? 8pin?

What provision is there inside for a speaker?

I emailed Hornby last Sunday, but no response so far, and the man i spoke to on the Hornby stand at Model Rail Scotland last weekend was useless!!

Any info much appreciated!

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

I thought i'd get ahead of the game and buy a sound chip for one of these in the hope they arrive on time! I've had a quick search on this topic and also searched the Hornby forum but found no information on the following.

What type of decoder will the 87 use? 8pin?

What provision is there inside for a speaker?

I emailed Hornby last Sunday, but no response so far, and the man i spoke to on the Hornby stand at Model Rail Scotland last weekend was useless!!

Any info much appreciated!

Thanks

According to Hattons it has an 8pin interface:-

http://www.hattons.co.uk/244021/Hornby_R3580_Class_87_87035_Robert_Burns_in_BR_Blue/StockDetail.aspx

This is consistent with Hornby’s previous dcc ready locos. I am not aware of Hornby ever using a 21pin dcc interface.

Can’t comment reference speaker space. Hornby’s track record in this respect is somewhat less than spectacular - their recent Class 71 had precious little room for a decoder let alone a speaker. Their new class 800 seems to be similarly afflicted.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43