Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

This looks superb .....right up there with the Bachmann 85 . In fact I may have to up my pre order . Looking forward to seeing this hauling a mix of mk2/3 stock on my layout.

I agree, it does look excellent. Maybe it was just the lighting in the video but there are some quite heavy prismatic effects going on with the windscreen. I assume in normal lighting conditions these will not be so noticeable?

Rob

not so good looking hauling mk1s but imagine them hauling newer aircon  mk2s and mk3s.

in the magazine sample I noticed one of the rear cab door handrails was bowed terribly so look out for this before accepting your model if you can change it.  that's about my only gripe and production models may all be okay.   looks good and the haulage capacity was mentioned at 15x mk1 coaches with its heavy die cast chassis so it all sounds very positive.  most will only see single digit rakes.

wonder if etched name plates are included?

oh and the cab definitely needs a driver figure.  hopefully the cabs are easy to access.  Hornby state that the bulkheads aren't full due to clearance needed for the all wheel drive mechs. 

• RMweb Gold

What happened to the original plastic pantograph?

Peter

Shhhhhh. If it’s gone maybe they’ve forgotten. Don’t remind them ;-)

I recall you beating up Mr Isles at Warley last year, and I was standing next to you actually defending Plastic ones :-)

Edited by adb968008

Hallo,

I'm not an 00-Gauge modeller but an 87 fan. From reading the comments it seems that this version is very good, so I may be after a BR Blue. A question to those in the know, will the Hornby X8013 pantograph be the correct one to model the 87 with a Brecknell Willis and will it fit on the 87? Or is there a better 00-Gauge Brecknell Willis on the market?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

es grüßt

pc 

• Like 1

Hallo,

I'm not an 00-Gauge modeller but an 87 fan. From reading the comments it seems that this version is very good, so I may be after a BR Blue. A question to those in the know, will the Hornby X8013 pantograph be the correct one to model the 87 with a Brecknell Willis and will it fit on the 87? Or is there a better 00-Gauge Brecknell Willis on the market?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

es grüßt

pc

Hornby's X8013 pantograph though meant to be a Brecknell-Willis one is anything but one. It's big and chunky and meant to collect power. It's not winning any prizes for accuracy. It's far from the prototype.

No one has managed to handle buy the model as yet and therefore no one knows if a direct replacement is available i.e. one that just pops in. The forthcoming InterCity and Virgin Trains ones have Brecknell Willis pantographs and it's worth waiting to see if they are sold as spares.

Hornby's Class 92 has a Brecknell Willis pantograph and spare ones are relatively easy to get. However the upper arm curves quite a bit.

DJ Models is supposedly considering doing the Brecknell Willis pantographs as a spare, but no one knows when the model will turn up and how long one has to wait for spares.

None of the above had suited my needs as I have no idea if Hornby will sell the Class 87 one as a spare. So I designed my own one thay uses the X8013 base.

Not much choice. From your post I'm under the impression that you want an accurate looking Brecknell Willis pantograph. The X8013 won't really make the mark then. However if you're okay with an ancient lump of metal then you can use it. But it will spoil the look of an otherwise stunning replica of the Class 87.

If this is of use to anyone, managed to get in touch with the folks at Hornby. Asked them about the delay in the Virgin Trains one and the reply I got was confirmation of the delay however they were working on getting it sooner than July 2019.

I'm quiet okay with that, it's given me a chance to pick up the Pecketts that were recently announced. So the delay has been welcoming news to me!

If this is of use to anyone, managed to get in touch with the folks at Hornby. Asked them about the delay in the Virgin Trains one and the reply I got was confirmation of the delay however they were working on getting it sooner than July 2019.

I'm quiet okay with that, it's given me a chance to pick up the Pecketts that were recently announced. So the delay has been welcoming news to me!

Thanks. to check, has it really slipped back by 13months, or is that July 18. Did they say why.

Cheers

Thanks. to check, has it really slipped back by 13months, or is that July 18. Did they say why.

Cheers

FWIW I think that there's some truth in the delay but the timescale given is probably exaggerated.

I do recall many instances in the past where Hornby has delayed the ETA of a model and then it has turned up magically (a couple of months earlier) and they have stated that it's come in early. Probably a harmless/simple PR exercise that many people will still find the need to moan about.

I don't think it's an error as ever since the 2018 announcement it has shown July 2018 and only recently been delayed by a year to July 2019.

Either way it's only a model train and not an essential part of life. It will turn up on due course. More time to save as usual.

I think 2019 is an error for several reasons.

The release date has slipped back a month or 2 at a time, then suddenly it jumps from July 2018 to July 2019.

It is far more advanced than many other of their new models, including those announced just this month.

Their web site now says July 2018. I don't doubt that it did say 2019. I suspect they've updated it.

I think 2019 is an error for several reasons.

The release date has slipped back a month or 2 at a time, then suddenly it jumps from July 2018 to July 2019.

It is far more advanced than many other of their new models, including those announced just this month.

Their web site now says July 2018. I don't doubt that it did say 2019. I suspect they've updated it.

You're getting quite confused here...

- we were talking about the Virgin Trains Class 87 which has an ETA of July 2019. And ot still does.

- only the BR Blue and Intercity ones had been delayed one month at a time and now have a ETA of July 2018. Neither the BR Blue nor the Intercity ones ever had an ETA of July 2019.

- there has been no updates to the website since the delay was posted.

- The BR Blue and Intercity ones have had the following ETAs -  Jan 2018, Mar 2018, April 2018, May 2018 and Jul 2018

The Virgin Trains one has had the following ETAs - Jul 2018 and Jul 2019. And it's still up on the website as far as I can see.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

I think rather than set up the machines etc for a single run of the virgin 87 as it looks like the br blue and intercity have already been manufactured they will wait until next year and release with a yet unannounced livery. Therefore they are setting up for 2 runs rather than 1 run of the model which must be more cost effective. So yes 2019 for the virgin model.

Mark

Hornby's X8013 pantograph though meant to be a Brecknell-Willis one is anything but one. It's big and chunky and meant to collect power. It's not winning any prizes for accuracy. It's far from the prototype.

No one has managed to handle buy the model as yet and therefore no one knows if a direct replacement is available i.e. one that just pops in. The forthcoming InterCity and Virgin Trains ones have Brecknell Willis pantographs and it's worth waiting to see if they are sold as spares.

Hornby's Class 92 has a Brecknell Willis pantograph and spare ones are relatively easy to get. However the upper arm curves quite a bit.

DJ Models is supposedly considering doing the Brecknell Willis pantographs as a spare, but no one knows when the model will turn up and how long one has to wait for spares.

None of the above had suited my needs as I have no idea if Hornby will sell the Class 87 one as a spare. So I designed my own one thay uses the X8013 base.

Not much choice. From your post I'm under the impression that you want an accurate looking Brecknell Willis pantograph. The X8013 won't really make the mark then. However if you're okay with an ancient lump of metal then you can use it. But it will spoil the look of an otherwise stunning replica of the Class 87.

Hallo,

I contacted Hornby via their website asking whether spare Brecknell Willis pantographs will be available for the (blue) 87. The Customer Services clerk replied only by saying that he would forward my request to the development team. So not a no and not a yes.

es grüßt

pc

Hallo,

I contacted Hornby via their website asking whether spare Brecknell Willis pantographs will be available for the (blue) 87. The Customer Services clerk replied only by saying that he would forward my request to the development team. So not a no and not a yes.

es grüßt

pc

That's the usual way they go about dealing with emails and messages, there's not been a single mention of spares and Hornby isn't known for stocking large quantity of spares which is understandable because it costs money to produce and there's no way to gauge potential sales figures. It may/may not sit on shelves as unsold stock thus costing the company money.

If I were you I won't keep my hopes up.

Maybe a way of collectively getting pre-orders from people and showing Hornby that there is demand may result in something.

You're getting quite confused here...

- we were talking about the Virgin Trains Class 87 which has an ETA of July 2019. And ot still does.

- only the BR Blue and Intercity ones had been delayed one month at a time and now have a ETA of July 2018. Neither the BR Blue nor the Intercity ones ever had an ETA of July 2019.

- there has been no updates to the website since the delay was posted.

- The BR Blue and Intercity ones have had the following ETAs -  Jan 2018, Mar 2018, April 2018, May 2018 and Jul 2018

The Virgin Trains one has had the following ETAs - Jul 2018 and Jul 2019. And it's still up on the website as far as I can see.

I did indeed not realise you were referring to only the Virgin 87. I find it a little odd that this is lagging behind the blue & IC versions by a whole year.

I did indeed not realise you were referring to only the Virgin 87. I find it a little odd that this is lagging behind the blue & IC versions by a whole year.

Well like I said above, they'll probably have an earlier production slot and then once it reaches their warehouse they'll say it's arrived earlier than planned.

I wonder if the delay with the Virgin version has anything to do with licensing? I remember OR were having issues with getting licensing from VT for the mk3s. I emailed them the other day to ask for the latest on the VT mk3s and they told me that they are delayed until further notice, but no reason as to why...

I wonder if the delay with the Virgin version has anything to do with licensing? I remember OR were having issues with getting licensing from VT for the mk3s. I emailed them the other day to ask for the latest on the VT mk3s and they told me that they are delayed until further notice, but no reason as to why...

Roll on June and let's see if the Virgin Trains DVT is released as per the "coming soon" section on the Hornby website. If the Virign Trains DVT is released as per the schedule then it's not an issue with the license. If it is delayed then it's probably the license.

Given Hornby have been producing Virgin Pendolini and VTEC liveried stuff since Virgin got into rail franchises and still have them in the catalogue I really can't see there being a bull and cow over the brand licence. Nor can I see Hornby delaying the Virgin 87 for 12 months when it uses a virtually identical body moulding to the IC Swallow version bar possibly two fire bottles on the roof. If there is a delay it will probably be more to do with spacing out the releases, but I'm more inclined to think it's a typo error.

Given the first two releases still haven't arrived in the UK as far as we know, I think any release date information is about as reliable as Russell Grant or Mystic Meg in predicting the future.

“If”? Actually, it sounds more like you’re furiously raging. Are you sure a nice lie-down won’t help?

I write this as someone who is looking forward to both the 87 and the 90. And to some more “silly ... tea urns”.

Paul

I was not furiously raging and don't need to lie down, but with both Hornby and Bachmann committing between them what must be in the region of a quarter of a million in development funds, at a time when Bachmann have acknowledged problems bringing products to market on time, and Hornby if we are to believe the press are teetering on the abyss, and when Dave Jones, a small by comparison producer who is in the early throws of getting his company established, is prepared to take a punt, albeit by crowdfunding, on a Class 92, to hear people claiming electrics don't sell is getting beyond a joke. I agree they won't sell as much as a Class 66 but clearly Hornby, Bachmann and DJM think they can make some money out of them.

It really is annoying the way some seem to think because they see some big box shifters selling some electrics at low prices that they must be some sort of fire sale, yet when the same box shifters have the guaranteed sales gold small black 0-6-0s that everyone thinks should be made in greater numbers reduced to half price, there isn't a similar "well, that's proof that small black freight locos don't sell" claim. I have no idea whether electrics sell or not. Neither do the overwhelming majority of forum members. But I can see investment in new AC electric models which shows that some companies are committing investment money into a market that they feel will give a return. No commercial undertaking will spend investment money on something that won't sell, especially when in the case of Bachmann they have sales data to hand.

And I say that as someone who would welcome some investment in a bit of red paint and some lining pens from Bachmann for their Standard LMS Compound which unfathomably has only been released in a little used wartime austerity black, or even better, investment from someone in a nice LNWR 4-4-0, both of which in multiple would find a home on my second layout. I'm not averse to kettles, just the partial view of some that ignores deep discounting in steam outline but rounds on any discounting of anything not boiling water with barely concealed glee as proof that only steam is worth investing in.

Anyway let's be happy what looks like a really good model that hopefully will go a long way to improve Hornby's position in some way is somewhere on a slow boat from China. I know personally it will represent the largest amount I've spent on anything from Hornby in some years given I want several.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And I say that as someone who would welcome some investment in a bit of red paint and some lining pens from Bachmann for their Standard LMS Compound which unfathomably has only been released in a little used wartime austerity black,

I do sometimes wonder if Bachmann is its own worst enemy with livery choices. They regularly leave what most of us think will be the most popular liveries to later production runs, presumably hoping we'll buy one of the first releases and them what we really want later. With prices what they are now, I suspect many like me cannot afford to do that any more, and so Bachmann sees fewer sales and then questions whether to produce other liveries at all in case they don't sell either.

I do sometimes wonder if Bachmann is its own worst enemy with livery choices. They regularly leave what most of us think will be the most popular liveries to later production runs, presumably hoping we'll buy one of the first releases and them what we really want later. With prices what they are now, I suspect many like me cannot afford to do that any more, and so Bachmann sees fewer sales and then questions whether to produce other liveries at all in case they don't sell either.

I am one of the minority who appreciate the black version, but I acknowledge that LMS Crimson or BR green (assuming they ran in it..I don't know) would be far more popular so it would be better to produce these first.

and even then it does seem to zero in on oddities or unusual one-offs even when it almost looks like a common/popular livery which narrows down renumbering options. E.g. 47301 with the white stripe above the red, 47190 with flush-fronts at both ends

• Like 1