Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

Actually the Inter City Executive livery was quite long lived, first appearing in 1984-5 and continuing until 1994-5 by which time the 87s had lost their multiple working jumper cables and relied on the RCH leads to work DVT equipped rakes.  So the livery spans the original front end, the mixed original jumpers, RCH (TDM) cables and original light, and the RCH only and replacement high intensity light front ends, which would give Hornby the chance to release at least two versions using the current toolings.

At least 87023, 025 and 034 were still running in 1994 in the original Executive livery alongside Intercity Swallow liveried examples, so the livery ought to be an early release, on both toolings.

• Like 1

Credit to Hornby for announcing two additional liveries for the Class 87/0 to arrive during 2019, as don't forget the Virgin Liveried 87019 is still shown as due during July 2019.

I was also a bit surprised to see 87001 in it's current dual-named NRM static display announced, especially following the release of the as-built BR Blue 87035 in the first batch last year, but having thought about it, is quite a versatile move:

- The proposed dual-named version is 'current & modern', has been in that configuration since 2005 (so one of the longest durations of the same livery and name of any 87: Amazing how time whizzes by!), and who knows how long it will remain dual-named in BR Blue in the future. Also, a technicality is that it has been seen on the main line in this guise .... during it's light-engine move to the NRM on 11th November 2005: https://www.rail-net.org.uk/jpgpage.php?picid=9132&storyid=246

- For those modelling 87001 in BR Blue between 2003 and 2005 when it was named STEPHENSON on both sides - a simple re-naming of one side will be required. Or as others have mentioned, simply operate the model with the Royal-Scot on the non-seen side! :sungum: . Note that Hornby currently have Virgin liveried Mark 3's and a Mark 3 DVT out and available in many shops ... so a bit of joined up thinking.

- The model could also be renumbered and renamed to 87002 Royal Sovereign in it's 2008 to 2015 BR Blue livery (I think that's when it was repainted into it's current Caledonian sleeper livery).

Already within a year or so of it's release, Hornby have covered most of the life of the 87's with at least one livery/operating configuration:

- 1974 As-Built until fitted with Brecknell Willis Pantographs: 87035 BR Blue

- Sectorisation until Post-Privatisation: 87004 IC Swallow

- Privatisation until fleet withdrawal during 2005: 87019 Virgin

- After-life/current: 87001 BR Blue and 87002 Caledonian Sleeper

The only significant gap not covered as ToF has mentioned is the post-BR Blue/experimental period of IC-Exec during the 1980's. It's also top of my wishlist ... but I can understand why it's probably lower down Hornby's to-do list as the time period is relatively small, also the number of sub-liveries/variations/TDM & detail configurations was probably at it's greatest. Also, the only coaches currently/recently in production in IC Exec livery are in the form of the Bachmann Mark 2F's ... so less likely for Hornby to produce the 87's in IC Exec until other options/liveries are produced that better match it's own plans for coaches (eg. Hornby Mark 2F's in IC Swallow as announced yesterday).

Overall, I'm very happy that Hornby are showing continued commitment to further 87's ... fingers crossed the 2020 range will contain a few more liveries and variations :)

However short, its that period between BR Blue and Intercity Swallow livery that is absolutely top of my list when there was much more variety of liveries and workings. The class 87s double-heading on Ravenscraig steel coil trains were a sight!

... but yes, there would be a lot of variations in where the yellow and grey met around cab areas for Intercity Executive, multiple working changing from the original to TDM, pantographs changing, headlights changing from original to square, even the Intercity Mainline version with less yellow (it took a while for the non Class 90 electrics to gain the Swallow white along the bottom) - its that variation that would have my credit card provider thinking I'd been phished and cleaned out!!! ... ;)

Edited by GordonC

Actually the Inter City Executive livery was quite long lived, first appearing in 1984-5 and continuing until 1994-5 by which time the 87s had lost their multiple working jumper cables and relied on the RCH leads to work DVT equipped rakes.  So the livery spans the original front end, the mixed original jumpers, RCH (TDM) cables and original light, and the RCH only and replacement high intensity light front ends, which would give Hornby the chance to release at least two versions using the current toolings.

At least 87023, 025 and 034 were still running in 1994 in the original Executive livery alongside Intercity Swallow liveried examples, so the livery ought to be an early release, on both toolings.

Thats very true, thats 10 years out of a working life on BR of around 30 years give or take one or two survivors

Personally I couldn't run this particular model with the "Royal Scot" side showing because it never ran in the guise Hornby are producing it hence I said its more suited maybe to display as a nod to the NRM loco on whatever side you care to choose.  

However I have long been advocate of dual numbering where appropriate 

I see from the Hattons website that it has listed this model  "As preserved" and the above has confirmed it is the NRM loco.

Rule 1 really does apply to this release, however one looks at it; how many are modelling the stuffed and mounted of York, I wonder?

Dual numbering is an interesting concept, that could make for a very saucy debate on this 'ere web forum!

The only significant gap not covered as ToF has mentioned is the post-BR Blue/experimental period of IC-Exec during the 1980's. 

I think, although I may be mistaken and am prepared to be corrected, that the missing period is a decade or so, as others may have described. Effectively one third of the prototype's working life.

I'd like 87017 in EWS livery - never going to happen though  :O

Eh?  What am I missing here?  Have you been on the meths again?  :angel:

Have we seen yet another classic Hornby screw up in a period when they are financial a bit wobbly? Does the 2019 range include mk3 sleepers in the Caledonia livery ?.... apologies if I have missed that if not then another loco with no typical stock to run behind it.

Lot's of reasons....

- The Caley Class 87 could've been a last minute addition which was otherwise meant for 2020

- The Caley coaches are probably in the 2020 range

- The Caley coaches probably didn't make it into the 2019 range for some reason

- A retailer plans on selling them as a limted edition just like KMRC did with the GWR Night Riviera

I suspect that when 87002 is almost ready to hit the shops we will have a mid-term announcement that the matching Mk3 sleepers are also being released rather than waiting for the next annual announcement but agree its a bit of strange one to omit it now.  That said mistakes do happen as demonstrated by the range being available in full at 9am rather than 10am on Monday.

So will it have a gloss finish??

I hope not! and why would it? It is just the Hornby Locomotion Models commissions which (unfortunately imho) have the gloss finish.

I think people forget there has been an NRM range since 2002 and Ellerman Lines, which were standard models of NRM subjects. Similarly the '2011 NRM Scotsman' (A3 boiler, smoke deflecters, LNER Livery, ended up being fictitious) was also (thankfully) standard finish.

Edited by G-BOAF

I hope not! and why would it? It is just the Hornby Locomotion Models commissions which (unfortunately imho) have the gloss finish.

I think people forget there has been an NRM range since 2002 and Ellerman Lines, which were standard models of NRM subjects. Similarly the '2011 NRM Scotsman' (A3 boiler, smoke deflecters, LNER Livery, ended up being fictitious) was also (thankfully) standard finish.

Well if I buy it I guess I can add the gloss coat myself.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

Well if I buy it I guess I can add the gloss coat myself.

Each to their own. Just bear in mind that the real thing doesn't exactly have a mirror finish. the sides are not flat enough for that. The diffusion of light from the imperfect platework is imho better captured by a satin finish

https://www.rail-net.org.uk/jpgpage.php?picid=9131&storyid=246

Have we seen yet another classic Hornby screw up in a period when they are financial a bit wobbly? Does the 2019 range include mk3 sleepers in the Caledonia livery ?.... apologies if I have missed that if not then another loco with no typical stock to run behind it.

Not a screw up, mainly because the ACLG hire the loco for non-sleeper activities as well.

http://www.15c.co.uk/UK_Mainline_2018/424.htm

Each to their own. Just bear in mind that the real thing doesn't exactly have a mirror finish. the sides are not flat enough for that. The diffusion of light from the imperfect platework is imho better captured by a satin finish

https://www.rail-net.org.uk/jpgpage.php?picid=9131&storyid=246

Not a screw up, mainly because the ACLG hire the loco for non-sleeper activities as well.

http://www.15c.co.uk/UK_Mainline_2018/424.htm

Personally like gloss coats. I get that uneven effect by doing random spots of satin and matte. So I'm pleased with the way my models turn out.

Good point about the Class 87 being hired for non-sleeper duties.

I suspect that when 87002 is almost ready to hit the shops we will have a mid-term announcement that the matching Mk3 sleepers are also being released rather than waiting for the next annual announcement but agree its a bit of strange one to omit it now.  That said mistakes do happen as demonstrated by the range being available in full at 9am rather than 10am on Monday.

TBH, after seeing them a few times - in my opinion, the coaches are not really a very nice livery!  Although I suppose now the "saloons" could also be produced too.....Any chance of some in the Scotrail Swoosh and First Liveries to compliment the previous sleep coach runs.....

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I did a 29 hour marathon to Carlisle, lucky winner of the DRS/Northern Cumbrian coast LHCS finale. I took the Caledonian sleeper to Carlisle, arriving 5am.

At days end, I returned to Euston at 22.30 last night into platform 3 and couldn’t resist this iconic image of 86401 on platform 1... a scene played out by 86/87s for over 50 years and will sadly come to an end in the spring, enjoy the site whilst you still can..

Apologies for reusing this image of 87001 at the NRM, but it demonstrates what the NRM is recreating in their scene.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

Euston to me will always be the home of the ACs and immortalised in Michael Palins Great Railway Journeys Euston to Kyle when he sets off from the capital in the blue and grey era. 

It will be shame when electric loco hauled trains cease out of Euston.  Truly the end of one special and groundbreaking era.

I hope that we will see some more charters though using 401 and 002.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Euston to me will always be the home of the ACs and immortalised in Michael Palins Great Railway Journeys Euston to Kyle when he sets off from the capital in the blue and grey era. 

It will be shame when electric loco hauled trains cease out of Euston.  Truly the end of one special and groundbreaking era.

I hope that we will see some more charters though using 401 and 002.

Dont forget 86101, its running in / out of Glasgow currently.

86401 was a bit of a surprise, I didnt realise this was a runner too.

After May, AC haulage will continue from Euston, but not as we know it. Class 92’s will continue on the new Mk5 sleepers though 86101/401/87002 dont have the couplers for this stock. Similarly later down the road class 91s and mk4’s may become a common sight.

• 1 month later...

Just had my blue 87 and full rake of mark 3s weathered by Grimey Times in Warrington. It looks absolutely terrific. I’ve taken a photo, but with the sun shining, the capture doesn’t quite show how realistic it looks with the weathering. Really chuffed, or should I say electrified!

image.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, gazwire said:

Just had my blue 87 and full rake of mark 3s weathered by Grimey Times in Warrington. It looks absolutely terrific. I’ve taken a photo, but with the sun shining, the capture doesn’t quite show how realistic it looks with the weathering. Really chuffed, or should I say electrified!

image.jpg

Looking superb! I bet the weathering would show better up if you stood outside and got the image with the sun hitting the loco and entire rake.

• Agree 1

After a lot of deliberation and a bit of a discount - I have just taken delivery of Robert Burns.

Having seen the cross arm pantograph for myself - I have to say that Hornby have made a really good compromise, despite my prior concerns of the pan not being metal.

It is strong plastic, sprung and looks fairly metallic - certainly would recommend other members not to worry about it at all - but in any case I see this model is nearly sold out everywhere anyway!

Thanks to Gazwire for posting his pictures of weathering - I think I will do so as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Love both my Hornby 87s - problem is I now need to install OHLE on the layout - a job which I have been putting off for a while.  But I would love do the 87s and the Bachmann 85 justice and run them under the wires.  But really my current layout's track doesn't really lend itself to OHLE - the tracks are too close together.  (So I'm now thinking to build a new layout! I reckon the Peco/Sommerfelt system looks OK see the seperate thread for that):

Edited by cravensdmufan
To include link to Peco OHLE thread
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

Love both my Hornby 87s - problem is I now need to install OHLE on the layout - a job which I have been putting off for a while.  But I would love do the 87s and the Bachmann 85 justice and run them under the wires.  But really m current layout's track doesn't really lend itself to OHLE - the tracks are too close together.  (So I'm now thinking to build a new layout! I reckon the Peco/Sommerfelt system looks OK there's a seperate thread on that).

Having done OLE on a previous layout & being unhappy with the job I made of it, my current one is set in 1939-1948. Once done, I will be rebuilding the same location in c1990, which will need another attempt at making decent looking OLE.

I am intrigued by your comment about the tracks being too close together? Could you explain further?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I am intrigued by your comment about the tracks being too close together? Could you explain further?

Yes Pete - I used Peco code 100 flexitrack  - nice flowing reverse curves which I was pleased with at the time.  But didn't use a track gauge so the distance between the running lines is narrower, so the Peco masts would have to be altered which I wouldn't want to do especially bearing in mind the cost of them!  Here's a photo of my main line, taken a couple of years ago soon after ballasting, which illustrates the problem - now I wish I'd kept to the standard Peco spacing!

PICT0083 (800x532).jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1