Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 25th/26th November 2017

Barry O

One comment I would make about Warley though (in case any of the organisers are reading this):

The table for leaflets for other shows is close to the ticket line, where it is very easy to miss. I can't help thinking it would be better in a more prominent position, perhaps close to the 'Big Engine'.

• Like 1

My take home for today at Warley is to look closely at MERG, there was a 2mm layout under construction using its components which one of the builders explained to me and then I spent some time over at the MERG listening to people explaining it some more, eye opener for me. I spend all day writing code but am a complete Luddite when it comes to my railway

That 2mm layout was Kineton on stand B76 and we are very please to learn you were able to talk at length to the members of Leamington & Warwick MRS N gauge and learn something new. We sent many interested visitors over to the MERG stand at B22 to lean more about MERG, (Model Electronic Rail Group) also celebrating their 50th anniversary this year.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

As with many shows for me the cost of getting there is far greater than the admission - Warley is £36 rail vs. £16 for the ticket.

I'm off to Manchester next weekend as I can also fit in a family visit in Liverpool. It's down to personal choice.

I sometime go to Ally Pally, Nottingham, Stoke Mandevile, York and Telford  by rail which costs a lot but for me it is preferable to driving which I do every work day and can be fun depending on what I see on the way (RHTT at BNS today). I had a good day at the NEC - saw what I wanted to; bought what I knew I could get, found a few bargains courtesty of Anoraks Anonymous(US) and Ellis Clark(for normal people) plus a few books  and met up with a few mates. Chuck in the pasty at BNS (once I'd negotiated the weird Barrier  issues) and it was a good day out.. Mostyn was good to see again and I enjoyed many of the other layouts as well

Chris

Suggest you try Stafford first weekend in February - Free parking for 2000 cars or free preserved bus service from Stafford station on both days see www.staffordrailwaycircle.org.uk for further details

Not long got home from banger racing at Wheels Park (did anyone make the trip across from the NEC to watch?) and will be heading down by rail from Lichfield in the morning.  Liking the few pics I've seen so far and looking forward to a nice calm day of layout-watching. :)

• Like 1

St James was the outstanding layout (more a mini county, layout doesn't do it justice) - 4 track mainline, mini Norwich terminus and scenic fiddleyard, fifteen years work I hope it can appear at some more exhibitions.

There were a few good quality N and 2mm layouts and I found myself drawn to the 7mm offerings too. I did my duty and asked Dapol when they are downsizing the wonderful 7mm B-sets and the Autocoach, they didn't say no even though it wasn't a yes before he tried to get me to buy some 7mm which was tempting but no.

My absolute favourite was Llangerisech, probably why I had to have the Earl and why I have been thinking about Clerestory coaches as well.

Blackgang and Ventnor both possessed 4 wheel Southern stock, does anyone know what those coaches would be, are they LSWR origin? I should have asked a shouldn't I.

It was good to see Bachmann join in the 1967 fun, though I didn't realise at first and a Trix Warship completely threw me and I was thinking to myself what a retrograde model before I noticed the 1967.

Even managed dinner for under £3 so all in all a very good day out.

Big shout out to the test track boys - busiest layout at the exhibition, every year there are chaps helping us test our purchases, watching as we eagerly show off our latest bargain and actually I have yet to see a dud, a stutter or a derailment.

• RMweb Gold

One comment I would make about Warley though (in case any of the organisers are reading this):

The table for leaflets for other shows is close to the ticket line, where it is very easy to miss. I can't help thinking it would be better in a more prominent position, perhaps close to the 'Big Engine'.

Hi,

It is a compromise for those who bring leaflets in on foot so they can place before trading/ viewing.The NEC make that side of the entrance way the exit from show once crowds abate. And with the amount of discarded flyers on the floor for folk to slip on during the weekend. NEC has duty cleaners picking bags of stuff throughout the day.  

I will be collecting and binning a good load of the desk tonight - for NEC recylcing  if I can.  Has to be said the dual bins are used quite randomly and staff collate all bins as users fail to separate. I watched the cleaning platoon last night just piling up all the bags regardless, so poor show by visitors and seemingly the UK in general ( massive generalisation emoj required! :-) .)  

See many of you later, I think I am looking forward to being the last from the show - with Squires and the H not much before me.

Robert. 

I’ll go against the grain here and say that there was some damn good stuff on the Bachman sales stand - Robinson O4 locos for £60, a Lord Nelson for the same and a couple of standards knocking about for about £40 off of RRP - which was not matched elsewhere in the hall as far as I could see. They were also disposing of Windhoffs for £40 each, so the bargains were there but I do tend to agree that they had to be sought out rather vigorously :)

To be honest I couldn’t find anything to tickle my fancy, but I shall hunt a bit more today :)

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to add my thanks to organisers for another superb day out (09:15 to 17:00 in my case) - Like many have said; the highlight of the modelling year. 

As a post-privatisation modeller, there were two main highlights for me. Firstly, Farkham (I was first viewer yesterday and got the whole thing to myself briefly before the crowds gathered). I sincerely hope it gets snapped up and remains on the circuit; I'd like to see it again for sure. Secondly, Whiteacres. So much running line in a relatively small space, and yet done so believably through effective use of all three dimensions and well executed scenic cameos.

Great to be able to pick up lots of varied bits and pieces on my shopping list all in one place. I usually go on Sunday, but tried Saturday this year to see if there were benefits from 'early pickings'. I have to admit I'll revert to Sunday next year; it's a little easier to get around. 

To think that this show is arranged on a voluntary basis is beyond belief. Hats off to all involved.

Cheers

Rob

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Suggest you try Stafford first weekend in February - Free parking for 2000 cars or free preserved bus service from Stafford station on both days see www.staffordrailwaycircle.org.uk for further details

I have done on several occasions - just over 2 hours on a V*yag*r from Bristol - well worth it. Last few years I have ended up with local exhibition commitments on the Saturday and the Sunday trains are sadly usually less useful..

ATB

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Has to be said the dual bins are used quite randomly and staff collate all bins as users fail to separate. I watched the cleaning platoon last night just piling up all the bags regardless, so poor show by visitors and seemingly the UK in general ( massive generalisation emoj required! :-) .)  

Robert. 

:offtopic:

We have a neighbour two doors away who will not separate his waste in recyclable and none recyclable (We have two full size bins) "I pay the council to do that" is his excuse.

We (Worcestershire residents) have a pretty sophisticated operation where all recyclables go through an automated scanning system to sort out the materials but a rogue batch contaminated with such things as waste food etc can upset the system.

It doesn't occur to him (he is the sort that just has to be awkward) that to employ a lot of extra staff to sort the rubbish would push up his council tax.

If he has a load of extra rubbish that he can't get in his bin he just stuffs it into other peoples recycling bins. I once tipped a load of crap that he had put in my bin onto his drive. He hasn't done it since!

Those sort really annoy me but the council won't act against them.

Keith

• Like 4

With all due respect the siting of a table advertising other shows is the very last thing on the Exhibition Managers mind!

Sadly, for me, Warley was a bit of a disappointment. No fault of the organisers.

I am sure that some of the layouts were stunning. My uncertainty stems from the fact that I made the mistake of going on Saturday when Hall 5 was at its busiest and actually getting anywhere near enough to view them was next to impossible. One of the criticisms that has been voiced before is the lack of ‘activity’ on some of the layouts. I spotted one or two that I wanted to take a look at and, quite obviously, other people had the same idea but because nothing was happening they would take up residence, in front of the layout, and stay there until something did happen. As a result, it was only possible to catch the odd glimpse, over the shoulder of someone seemingly glued to the spot!

Because I didn’t attend with the intention of making any significant purchases and had not singled out any of the layouts as being of special interest, I was able to have a good wander around, pausing to look at anything that peaked my interest. By making my way around the Hall in a logical fashion, I think that I managed to (briefly) visit every stand. By a sheer fluke, I came across one of the stands selling books (Crecy Publishing) and found a book that will be of great assistance in my proposed layout. ‘Impermanent Way. Volume 2 - Susex’ has some wonderful, colour photographs of both stations at Midhurst. This ended up being my only purchase.

I have concluded that big shows, like Warley, are not for me at this stage. Maybe if I am seeking inspiration or want to see items before purchasing, I might return. However, given the cost of travel, parking and then getting in, I would need some justification. Forking out £100 (or thereabouts) for no real reason definitely can’t be justified!

Barry Denyer

• RMweb Gold

Good day out, first impression was how vastly improved the hall lights are. Chatted far too much and only just got round it all. Got most of the bits I was after and avoided the two big show special temptations I don't need. Good stuff the Warley club, thank you ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a fantastic time yesterday, thanks to the organisers, but one day isn’t enough

So I am going in again !

Just a thought, how many people yesterday noticed little Edgar ?

Positioned right by the side of the Bachmann returns stand this loco was buried 12 deep behind the crowds for the stand.

This morning there’s not much left on the returns stand and no queues either, so those complaining of price yesterday.. it can’t have been all bad as it’s gone.

post-20773-0-38034900-1511690163_thumb.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good show. It felt like a trade show with stone layouts scattered round rather than a model railway show though.

Was amused that as we walked from the station to the hall, the NEC staff were shouting "toy trains this way please"!

I've bunked the day off today; Friday was busy enough but yesterday was non-stop from 7.15 to 6.15 in the hall - 5 minutes (at most) off my feet, breakfast at about 2.30 whilst I gassed with Revolution's Mike Hale over a toastie. So many of the club and supporting stewards do many more hours than that so I take my woolly hat off to them.

Getting in on Friday was, for me, a massive improvement from being marooned in N12 for hours last year - all the NEC staff were very friendly as were the gate guardians on Saturday morning including the GP starting grid for mobility scooters ahead of advance ticket holders.

Ijsselstein was the outstanding item this year which will be the exhibit most remember as with some of Peter Dillen's previous exhibits.

Our Pendon in 3D samples got a lot of positive approval from visitors to the stand, a few dismissive grunts but that's folk isn't it? There was also a lot of very positive comment about the magazine and the content, particularly the DVD - poor Phil's becoming a modellers' celebrity with groupies eager for some words from the horse's mouth. :)

The long, cold wait for a bus back to the car park wasn't as bad as last year either but getting out of the South car parks was a different matter; as long to do the first 300 metres as the next 30 miles. Maybe it's time for the NEC to invest in some lights at the roundabouts to help traffic flow rather than the Give Way wars which seem to be the current solution.

Thank you to Warley MRC!

• Like 9

I have concluded that big shows, like Warley, are not for me at this stage. Maybe if I am seeking inspiration or want to see items before purchasing, I might return. However, given the cost of travel, parking and then getting in, I would need some justification. Forking out £100 (or thereabouts) for no real reason definitely can’t be justified!

Barry Denyer

I've never been to Warley so can't really comment, save that lots of people state it is very busy / crowded at times.

Try Wigan next year (around October), a big exhibition in two halls, many layouts and trade stands, and this year even just after opening on Saturday it was very busy but not over crowded as there is lots of room around and between exhibits. the trade stands being placed around the walls and are equally well organised. Parking is free for visitors, entrance a tenner, and the pies are superb !!!!!

Brit15

• Like 2

Having been to three Warleys previously I have to say yesterday was not as crowded, there was good space in the aisles and I was an,e to pick and choose where and when to stand and gawp at layouts.

The lighting is certainly better and whenever I fancied a sit down I could find chairs

• RMweb Premium

Had a fantastic time yesterday, thanks to the organisers, but one day isn’t enough

So I am going in again !

Just a thought, how many people yesterday noticed little Edgar ?

Positioned right by the side of the Bachmann returns stand this loco was buried 12 deep behind the crowds for the stand.

This morning there’s not much left on the returns stand and no queues either, so those complaining of price yesterday.. it can’t have been all bad as it’s gone.

Don't take this the wrong waqy but please, please do this.....post-2326-0-41195700-1511692437.jpeg

for us poor #### that can't make it.

Many thanks

Phil

• Like 1

I went to exhibition yesterday. I had the chance, and could get there by train. I am pleased went, but it will take something very special to get me to go again,

A brief set of scores

Venue   9/10
Location 9/10
Layouts 6/10
layout of exhibition 2/10
Guide and map 1/10

I have attending a lot of exhibitions over the years, big and small, from starting at the old Easter exhibition in London , Manchester at CIS building to the current Easter exhibition at York. I remember Warley at NEC  starting up 25 years ago and how if affected the exhibitions around the north west. It used to be mid October so clashed with Halifax(sponsored by Bachmann), so that moved to same weekend as us at Todmorden, and that actually benefitted us at the time. Then we had Manchester and Warley swapping around, and that had a knock on effect, as Manchester was now too close to some other big local shows such as Blackburn. Now Manchester is back in its rightful spot, but could be bigger like it used to be. 

Now Warley. 

from the numbers above I think I should say that I wasted at least an hour of my limited time9train booked home), trying to find my way around. The numbers on the map were pathetic. I only give it 1 out of 10 because it actually existed!. At other exhibitions  I can usually find my way around without a guide, so either the guide has to be much much better, or the layout of the exhibition needs to follow a more logical path. It did have a bit of logic, but an big shop organising itself in a similar way would close very soon. Even IKEA is easier to negotiate. It needs proper zones which are properly marked out(colour coded) and something above stands to you can see signs across room. 

What surprised me was that it was not as crowded as I expected. Some stands(in particular one I think was virtual railways) were busy. 

I wasted a lot of time simply because the printed guide was pathetic, so did not have enough time to see some  things. 

Manchester next week, and I know it will be busy, that does not bother me. Then there is York next year, and I always enjoy that exhibition. I don't need a printed guide as I can just walk around and find everything! I want to try Alexandra Palace some time, as I remember the old Central Halls exhibitions, so know what they can do. 

Sorry to be negative, as I know how much time and effort those organising Warley put into getting it up and running. Sometimes those who just keep patting people's backs are doing them no favours. 

On a positive side, I did get my self 3D scanned. Thanks, Alan for being there, as I know you said you are having to cut down on exhibitions. Maybe you should get others involved in maybe setting up a franchise operation across the country, not exhibitions but proper permanent set ups. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can’t resist...attachicon.gifFE25EBF4-D0EE-4184-8937-A52C66D1081F.jpegattachicon.gifA4D55B71-867A-41EF-8488-AD3AD2CBCA56.jpegattachicon.gifD30E1591-F5DA-4465-ACF0-93A807AEEEF2.jpeg

10201 & 10202 are available to those who have preordered, I collected my gate stock too (it hadn’t yet been dispatched).

Thanks for posting these (though my wallet doesn't say thank you....)

I had thought I could pass on these, although Rule 1 (or possibly Rule 0.5) would allow me to run a WCML green version on diversion.  Your final pic really captures the 'presence' of the loco and it's now VERY tempting!

• RMweb Gold

Don't take this the wrong waqy but please, please do this.....attachicon.gifpost-20773-0-38034900-1511690163_thumb.jpeg

for us poor #### that can't make it.

Many thanks

Phil

I thought I was when I took it, I figured it out, it was the weight of my baggage it was pulling me sideways :-)

I have 3d scanned myself this morning, by the Modelu stand and I will have a 4mm me in the post in a few weeks time, i’m sure my girl will have fun painting model daddy for the layout, just have to make sure when i’m Placed on the layout, she puts me on the platform not the pig pen :-)

Here’s a few pictures of a couple of layouts, including a few panaoramic.

post-20773-0-26246000-1511695343_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-68982500-1511695383_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-60655700-1511695415_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-39622200-1511695443_thumb.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 8