Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 25th/26th November 2017

Barry O

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gang,

Well off to bed - out of hall 21.00, not to bad other given I was in the hall 07.00!  As Phil kindly said better part of 300 resting chairs hired in be the club and around 600 catering area chairs.  It will never be enough but not free space enough free and circulating space.

The great thing about Oliver Models est 1967 is it is a look back at many childhoods. While setting up TT display the procession of members, traders and other happy exhibitors who  stayed a while... The young will never know  the fun we had modelling.

Hall filled rapidly from 12.00 and it was terrific to see the standard of the layouts big and small. While on end of day sweep of the hall it was hard not to stop. I now tomorrow I will still be too busy to stop - I really must one day just come as a punter.... and see what all the fuss is about, after all it is just the Warley club and friends having a show in a local hall... ( gets coat! )

See many of you tomorrow..

Robert     

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It's a clone - the real Captain Kernow is over at Wheels Park watching the sausage racing.

Or that's what he hopes it is..............................

O ye of little faith. Where do you get this stuff from? Does Haverfordwest mean nothing to anyone? Wither Weatherby?

• RMweb Gold

My home for the weekend is the unhired help playing trains on the Hornby Magazine layout Twelve Trees Junction on  the combine Hornby / Hornby Magazine Stand with her lovely H Class as the backdrop.

Pop by and say hello.

attachicon.gifIMG_5206.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5208.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5209.JPG

Have a great weekend, Graham.

Do all operators have to wear hi-viz to emulate the real thing, ie. being as realistic as possible, or is it because there is a highly dangerous full-sized locomotive loose within the hall?

• RMweb Premium

Only 16km of walking done in the hall today..in at 6:45 out at 19:30.

Hopefully people will come and see "my" 1967 shop and "my" 1967 layout...with steam and diesels on a hill...

Baz

Hopefully people will come and see "my" 1967 shop and "my" 1967 layout...with steam and diesels on a hill...

Baz

I have to come clean in terms of confessing to being one of Barry's 'friends' re the 1967 layout (stand A56). So much so in fact that the show guide appears to have credited the layout to myself...

All will be revealed if you are visiting the show this weekend; if not, expect a new layout thread starting up some time on Monday

• RMweb Premium

I see that there are 4 real locos at this years show, as there were last year. I find this strange given the pressure on space. Yes, they'll be nice to see, but people who have decided to visit Warley, will be going to see a Model Railway Show. I doubt anyone is thinking 'Oh, I must go to Warley tomorrow because there's a full size loco on the Hornby stand I'd love to see'.

True, but I would hope that visitors going to the show and seeing no. 263 in all her finery say might say 'thats a pretty loco, lets pop by the Bluebell next time we are in Sussex"

(OK I admit I might be a bit biased on that score.... but we do have rather a lot of track needing replacement so no opportunity to attract visitors should be ignored ;) )

I don't think anyone expects people are just going to Warley to see all the full size exhibits, but they do add a certain 'wow' factor and make the show stand out from other shows.

I guess from Hornby's perspective it makes for an impressive backdrop too....

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Since people are worried about food prices, I snapped a few hopefully helpful guide prices:

attachicon.gifFood5.jpg

These were from the in-hall food stands with easily visible signs. There are plenty of others with fronts shuttered on Friday night, but you get the idea. Robert was also putting out more than 2 real trains worth of seating for those who want to bring their own, or just need to rest legs.

Those Subway prices look quite close to those here in Chester, SC; allowing for the exchange rate.

Will there be a dedicated thread for collating news of the various releases/announcements this year, as there was last year?

Either Andy Y or the manufacturer themselves usually start a thread for any announcements.

Radio silence from me now. Will find out all the announcements when I walk in.

Is there going to be any announcements apart from DJM I can't think of anyone else who has said they will be announcing a product?Hornby don't appear to be announcing at Warley this year. Dapol revealed some wagons a little time ago so they may not have anything. I am unsure what's in Heljans plans for OO that hasn't been delivered though so they may have something.

Bachmann apart from the collectors club model don't announce at this show.

So the new announcement thread may be fairly short (apart from the hilarious my wallet is relieved posts)!

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Good thing I decided not to go this year, I would never have got there as everything between the Sussex Coast and London has ground to a halt due to seemingly unexpected ice....

• RMweb Premium

I will not be making any plans, just turn up at any time I want to during the morning, go in and look at as many layouts as possible, keep out of the way of anyone with cameras, and just generally have a day alone away from my work.

Thank the Lord. There is a sensible person going.

P

• RMweb Premium

I will have a free childs ticket to give away tomorrow today due to my Sons behaviour yesterday so if you see some bald headed nutter giving a ticket away it isnt anything sinister.

Oh, that's a shame. There should will be other 'spare' tickets going due to the behaviour of some of the adults posting on here so I wouldn't have any worries Oaky. Have a good day and I hope the minor's trouble is resolved by Monday.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Good luck and may you all have a wonderful day.....to any of you that are exhibiting, demonstrating or trading at the NEC today. Also I hope that all you brave visitors will return to RMW with a host of amusing anecdotes and some excellent photo's for us that can't get there to enjoy the circus.

So, please remember that instead of having fun you could be at home doing some DIY but remember this good advice from Swiss Tony, " hanging wallpaper is also very much like making love to a beautiful woman. Clean all the relevant surfaces, spread her out on the table, cover her with paste, and stick her up. Then you clean your brush, light your pipe, stand back and admire your handiwork. " 

Good morning,

Tony.

• RMweb Gold

My personal mission has been aborted due to the fragile signalling system between Yeovil and Exeter.

Looking at it positively, I've just arrived home twelve hours early and a couple of hundred quid better off............

Have a good day everyone else.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling